DNF

I'll comment here then :anicute:

There's DNF and DNA and then CBA.....

A true DNF is where you go hunting for an hour, really can't find it and you know it's probably there (cos it was found yesterday). In this scenario, log it. Say how long you spent and so on.

DNA is of course, did not attempt (happens a lot). For whatever reason, muggles usually or something going on in the area. By all means, post a note, but DNF?

CBA, because sometimes you look at a cache, have a quick look, but it's not really worthy. In this case, either an SBA or just swallow it and move it.

I get unfuriated however, by DNFitis. The first person comes along (quite often not an experienced cacher) and puts a log on of

"Spent a few minutes looking for this but I was in a hurry to pick kids up/get back to work/go to the pub/it was dark (delete as appropriate)"

The next person comes along and thinks "Oh it's probably not there. I'll have a look for it". Then logs a DNF. Realistically, noone has had a decent look for it yet.

Then the next person comes along "Oh, it's had 2 DNFs. I really can't be bothered with this". Has a quick look but doesn't look in any hidey holes or whatever. Logs a DNF. Probably along with a "Needs Maintenance".

Cache owner then goes out to look, finds it in the correct place and puts a note on. Then a couple of people find it.

Then someone else comes along, with some old cache notes - reads that it's been DNFed (and doesn't have the update) and DNFs it again.

Wash - rinse - repeat.

Which reminds me.... I haven't got round to logging my caches in the Highlands a couple of weeks back and we have a DNF just outside Dunblane.....

DNFs personally all depend on how long I've searched, how far I am away from home (and thus how likely I am to return) and whether I think it's missing.

If I'm a fair distance from home, I'll log the DNF in the field in the slight hope that the CO picks it up and checks it out the same day. It has been known to happen once or twice.

Likewise I'll do Needs Maintenance in the field if I've found the cache in disrepair.

If it's local, I'll not log a DNF on the first failure unless I think it's really not there as some Essex hiders are known for their particularly tricky little hides.

If i looked and did not find, i post a DNF. If i looked 5 times, i post 5 DNF. Hurts my geoego though! Ha

If i wanted to look but could not (trail flooded), i post a note saying so.

If i looked but was called away i don't post anything but a field note to remind me to go back.

i like posting DNF and notes to keep track of my geoactivities. Also to let the CO i was there and enjoying (or trying to enjoy) their work.

I think I've logged every failed/aborted attempt at a cache as a DNF, so long as I got somewhere near GZ. I see no loss of face in it at all. If I haven't been able to spend too much time searching, I'll mention it but still log a DNF.

As a Hider, I'd like everyone else to do the same on my caches, even if it's at least a Note if they can't bear to tarnish their record :anicute: I know this hasn't always happened though.

Such logs might have something useful to say to the Hider or other Finders. E.g. "it's easy to miscalculate Multi-stage #2 because we ended up in the wrong field" [Hider: is it really clear enough how many widgets to count? Finder: pay careful attention counting those widgets], or "this was too muggly/steep/muddy/narrow/scary" [Hider: is the description/rating clear enough? Finder: if you don't like X/Y/Z then maybe this will be tricky]

Yep I always log our DNF's (when I eventually log my caches :D )

If we have actually looked but not found thats a definite DNF :ph34r:

If we have gone somewhere and couldn't look as the area was busy I write a DNA note :anicute:

If we go somewhere and it is a s*** hole, I go home and put it on my ignore list!! :D

There is no shame in a DNF it alerts the CO that the cache may need a check up appointment, it peeves me when I get a log saying something like "third time we have tried this one and still no find" well if there had been DNFs logged I would have cheked the cache out or emailed you some help!!!!

Mandy :lol:

Often wonder about the cache series, where a cacher logs found on #1, #2, #4, and #5, but no Found, DNF or note on #3... Did they DNF and don't want to admit it? Or just forget it was there?

I know what you mean - I think that they look but just don't bother to DNF. One of my cache series had that happen a few times, and then someone posted a DNF for the one that had been seemingly skipped. So I went and looked and it'd gone so I replaced it. But I suspect that it hadn't been there for a while.

If the first visitor had DNF'd then the second visitor would probably have had a cache to find. Instead of that I think that several had a fruitless search for a missing cache, whilst I was unaware of the problem.

If I had a look for the cache, i.e. got to GZ and started searching; then I'll be posting a Found or DNF. Even if the search only lasted two seconds, at least I have a record that I went there.

Often wonder about the cache series, where a cacher logs found on #1, #2, #4, and #5, but no Found, DNF or note on #3... Did they DNF and don't want to admit it? Or just forget it was there?

A few local rings / trails I haven't gone out to find all yet, just jotted down two or three and looked for them whilst out for a walk, intending to do others at later dates. Maybe some others do similar.

Have posted a DNF on all I have spend a good time looking for.

I find it very annoying though when a cache has loads of DNF's and the owner doesnt bother to go and check the cache is there. They just let the DNF's stack up and in the end people stop going to look for it.

Normally I check my caches after 3 DNFs, the cache setter themselves know if is an easy or hard find, and they should know if they are going to receive DNFs on a cache or not

I have spent more time archiving/maintaining/checking my own caches this month than I have spent out looking for caches :anicute:

If the DNFs are piling up maybe it is time to post a Needs Maintenance and if that is ignored then a SBA, you have to be cruel to be kind :D

M :D

If I think I didn't find the cache because there is some issue with it (missing cache, missing clue, cache site inaccessible) then I always log a DNF.

I see DNFs not so much as a record of your failures, more as a way of alerting the cache owner and any possible future hunters of that cache that there may be an issue.

Nobody wants to waste their time looking for a cache that may not be findable, just because previous cachers haven't alerted anyone to the problem.

Yep I always log our DNF's (when I eventually log my caches :D )

If we have actually looked but not found thats a definite DNF :ph34r:

If we have gone somewhere and couldn't look as the area was busy I write a DNA note :anicute:

If we go somewhere and it is a s*** hole, I go home and put it on my ignore list!! :D

There is no shame in a DNF it alerts the CO that the cache may need a check up appointment, it peeves me when I get a log saying something like "third time we have tried this one and still no find" well if there had been DNFs logged I would have cheked the cache out or emailed you some help!!!!

Mandy :lol:

Ditto.

Look and don't/can't find - DNF

Arrive close to site and can't search, muggles etc, getting late/dark, want a pint - Note and explain.

I do this a lot but not because I didn't find its because I didn't look. I select the ones to go for usually the odd one or two decent sized caches in a series where the rest are pointless micro's that are there just to fill a small gap on trail to find the next pointless micro. :anicute::D:D

... in a series where the rest are pointless micro's that are there just to fill a small gap on trail to find the next pointless micro. :D:ph34r::lol:

Maybe there needs to be a CBFA log for these... Just so others know that the cache could well still be there, and there's no need for the cache owner to rush out to check it. :anicute:

CBFA = Couldn't Be Bothered To Look For It. :D

We always log our DNFs.

They can be just as enjoyable as the caches we do find.

If the location is nice , there is an adventure or just a bit infuriating then the search is reward in its own right.

The most times it took me to find a cache was 5,and then my other half found it!I logged / admitted to all the DNFs.I love a FTF but not competetive in my "numbers".

What is so great about geocaching is that it can be pursued in so many different ways.

:blink:

... in a series where the rest are pointless micro's that are there just to fill a small gap on trail to find the next pointless micro. :D:D:D

Maybe there needs to be a CBFA log for these... Just so others know that the cache could well still be there, and there's no need for the cache owner to rush out to check it. :blink:

CBFA = Couldn't Be Bothered To Look For It. :D

CBFA = Couldn't Be Further Away?

I'm sure ze German armchair loggers would like that one :)

Edited by Ryuchan

We always log our DNFs.

They can be just as enjoyable as the caches we do find.

If the location is nice , there is an adventure or just a bit infuriating then the search is reward in its own right.

The most times it took me to find a cache was 5,and then my other half found it!I logged / admitted to all the DNFs.I love a FTF but not competetive in my "numbers".

What is so great about geocaching is that it can be pursued in so many different ways.

:blink:

see bolded stuff

Good Times

If we looked properly yes we log a DNF. Although we do not bother with the CBFA ones, whatever that could stand for. :)

I may be tempted more to post a needs maintenance log these days if there are several DNF's and the clue is very specific or past logs indicate where it was, but only after a good look ourselves, although it does add to the satisfaction if you find one that several others have DNFed previously. :D

Currently we have 188 DNF's which is around 5% of our find rate :blink:

Our view on DNF's..

If we feel that we have put in enough effort into finding a cache and we still cant find it after reading previous logs, description and hint then we will log as a DNF.

There is no way I would even consider logging a DNF if I haven't been twice or feel that we gave a worthy look for it. I think 5 of us searching GZ for upto 30 mins would sufface a DNF.

Even though we haven't put any caches out ourself, we can see how fustrating DNF's can be on cache owners. It does cause a knock-on effect and theres not a lot that can be done about that as I think most people would be put off spending 30mins+ for a cache that has had 4 previous DNF's over a couple of months or so.

Edited by Rich1010

I'll log a DNF if I've made a reasonable attempt to locate the cache and for whatever reason just can't find it.

Some caches with a high terrain rating can be seen from some distance but not retrieved without climbing or similar. If I can see it but not reach it then I'll write a note, on the basis it's not a Found because I didn't do what was necessary to retrieve it but it's not a DNF because I could see the cache and it's clearly still in place but I chose for my own reasons not to attempt the last part of the retrieval.

For me what would count as a fair effort would depend on the setting. A secluded forest area might make an extended detailed search practical; an urban micro might be positioned such that if I can't find it within 5-10 minutes of pretending to wait for someone, tying my shoelaces, pretending to fiddle with my bike, or whatever other diversions I'm using, then I'll start to feel conspicuous and move on. In that case I'd also write a DNF.

I have noticed that people are not registering their DNF.

A DNF alerts the owner to the fact that the cache may have gone, or that the coords/hint need adjusting It also alerts future finders that they may be wasting their time or it is a particular hard hide.

or it simply means "you couldn't find it"

i certainly don't run out the door to check on my caches after only a couple of DNF's

Edited by t4e

I have logged a DNF twice on the same cache, both times I did look for over half an hour. I've been keeping an eye on the cache to see if anyone else has found it since just incase it's me being blind (probably is!!) but so far no one else has tried/logged.

I remember the cache I finally found for my 400th. It was 3600 miles from home and I found it on what I think was my eighth attempt over the course of nearly three years. When I finally logged a Find I soon got an email from another geocacher.

The cache in question was at the top of a mountain in an area I like to visit on holiday. He lived at the bottom of the mountain, and his kids were disillusioned at their failed attempts to find the cache. When he showed them my log and said I'd persevered despite living in a different country and surely they could walk up the mountain again to find it, it gave them a fresh hope.

I must admit I never thought logging a load of DNFs (I think I logged five DNFs among my multiple attempts) could cause such an inspiration to some kids I'll probably never meet.

A DNF or even 5 or more DNF's don't put me off searching if I'm in the area caching anyway.

Most times I have had to log a DNF too but sometimes it's nice to log a find and tell the CO that their cache is safe & sound. :)

I found a cache yesterday that had a NA log .... but it was found nowhere near where the clue hinted.

Now it seems I found a cache that wasn't even the CO's and the original cache had been stolen by the person who logged the NA.

Like someone said before though - A DNF means: Did Not Find ... not: It Isn't There Anymore!

We DNF when we feel we have really put in a reasonable amount of effort to find a cache. If it is just a case of us being short of time or tired then we don't DNF it.

Recently someone DNF'd one of out caches - a multi. In their comment they said that they had solved the puzzle at stage one and then realized that stage 2 was too far for them to walk! That shouldn't really have been a DNF in my book.

We DNF when we feel we have really put in a reasonable amount of effort to find a cache. If it is just a case of us being short of time or tired then we don't DNF it.

Recently someone DNF'd one of out caches - a multi. In their comment they said that they had solved the puzzle at stage one and then realized that stage 2 was too far for them to walk! That shouldn't really have been a DNF in my book.

Why not?

They "Did Not Find" the cache...

Although personally I would have posted a note to say 'Too far to walk today...' or such-like.

It all depends on the cache and if I am sure I can't find it after a good luck. I did one a while back and logged a DNF like the person before me and the person before them.

It was part of a walk with the hint "Hidden behind 3rd post from corner" GPS was dead on and I looked behind that post and many others either side.

The problem comes when the next cacher to log it states "Easy Find TFTC ....." and then the next few caches log DNF's.

Sometimes I Do and sometimes I Don't. It depends on how much of an effort I have made.

One cache I found this week was at my third attempt and about 30 minutes searching per visit. If I hadn't found it the third visit I would have logged it. I also logged an attempt that I spent an hour failing to find a while ago, but didn't log a cache I tried to Cache and Dash on the way home from work and failed to find, as I didn't really give it a fair search.

YMMV of course!

Why not?

Although personally I would have posted a note to say 'Too far to walk today...' or such-like.

Technically it's correct in that they didn't find it, but by the same token I could technically view the web page of a cache thousands of miles away and then log a DNF on the basis I didn't find it.

It's a subjective thing I know but I can't help thinking that a DNF does rather imply some form of effort went into looking for the cache.

Why not?

Technically it's correct in that they didn't find it, but by the same token I could technically view the web page of a cache thousands of miles away and then log a DNF on the basis I didn't find it.

It's a subjective thing I know but I can't help thinking that a DNF does rather imply some form of effort went into looking for the cache.

a DNF does rather imply some form of effort went into looking for the cache.
In their comment they said that they had solved the puzzle at stage one and then realized that stage 2 was too far for them to walk!

On the spot, solved stage 1 -is that not 'some effort'?

Maybe owners of multi's need to look at putting some idea of how far to travel/how long time-wise the cache will take?

OK the time is dependant on the cacher, but GS have put the extra 'distance' attributes (Although they are KM not miles ;) ) but distance would help give cachers some idea of the distance the cache takes.

:D

Maybe owners of multi's need to look at putting some idea of how far to travel/how long time-wise the cache will take?

OK the time is dependant on the cacher, but GS have put the extra 'distance' attributes (Although they are KM not miles ;) ) but distance would help give cachers some idea of the distance the cache takes.

This is what I like seeing on longer distance/time based cache pages :

walk will take about xyz time over a distance of around xyz.

very informative and helps immensely with planning an outing.

Why not?

a DNF does rather imply some form of effort went into looking for the cache.
In their comment they said that they had solved the puzzle at stage one and then realized that stage 2 was too far for them to walk!

On the spot, solved stage 1 -is that not 'some effort'?

It doesn't hurt to put some idea of the total time required and distance to travel. My point was that to me a DNF implies some effort looking for the final box. I appreciate I didn't word it in such explicit terms first time around - if we want to be pedantic we could decide that reading the cache page or solving the puzzle counted as "some effort" but because I didn't get up from my chair I didn't find the cache and therefore DNF-ed it.

I always log a DNF for a cache I've looked for and not found, 57 so far, and 29 of them I still haven't found - although most of those are in areas I've not been back to, to try again. I don't always log repeated failures - a local nano on a railing is my Nemesis, I've tried 7 times and my son has been a couple of times as well, but I've only logged 5 DNFs for it, feel a bit of a plonker as it is being found regularly by other cachers.

As a cache owner I know I'd rather read a DNF than think no-one is visiting my caches! After 2 DNFs I'll go and check them as none are difficult hides, then post a note to say they're still there or I've replaced them if necessary. Then the next cachers know it's worth looking for despite the DNFs..

We always log our DNFs even when it's a 80% DNF rate as it was on a recent trip to Peterhead. It seemed at the time that all we were logging was DNFs. Rather disheartening. It has given the the COs a heads up though as several other people haven't found them either.

We have a cache that hasn't been found in two months, and although we check it regularly and can see from the flattened undergrowth that people have been looking we've only had one DNF in that time. ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...17-9e606839dc40 )

Let us know folks! We want to help if we can!

We always log our DNFs even when it's a 80% DNF rate as it was on a recent trip to Peterhead. It seemed at the time that all we were logging was DNFs. Rather disheartening. It has given the the COs a heads up though as several other people haven't found them either.

We have a cache that hasn't been found in two months, and although we check it regularly and can see from the flattened undergrowth that people have been looking we've only had one DNF in that time. ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...17-9e606839dc40 )

Awwww But that one has a high difficulty and I guess peeps think they are to blame when they don't find it We certainly didn't log a DNF the first time we attempted but with one GPS between three we didnt feel it warranted it. And even the next time with three GPSs it was the pup that found it (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and saying it was deliberate find not accidental on his behalf!) Hope there weren't too many teeth marks! LOL It's hard yeah but that just adds to the sense of achievement (even if it's just default for owning the right caching pup!!!)

QUOTE(maiawalli @ Sep 24 2010, 07:17 AM)

QUOTE(pendragon9321 @ Sep 26 2010, 12:27 PM)

Awwww But that one has a high difficulty and I guess peeps think they are to blame when they don't find it We certainly didn't log a DNF the first time we attempted but with one GPS between three we didnt feel it warranted it. And even the next time with three GPSs it was the pup that found it (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and saying it was deliberate find not accidental on his behalf!) Hope there weren't too many teeth marks! LOL It's hard yeah but that just adds to the sense of achievement (even if it's just default for owning the right caching pup!!!)

Can't quote properly on the iPhone. Tried and failed....

Anyway, fair enough Pendragon. That cache may not be the best example. After all it is a 5* difficulty so as it says in the guidelines it may take several visits to find. Really, we just wanna know about the hunt. It was DNF logs that let us know about another cache of ours that was muggled. It was a fairly simple one so when we had a couple of DNFs we knew to go check it out. I guess at the end of the day it's up to the individual cacher whether they log a DNF or not. When they do I'll use that info to look after our caches, and if they don't I'll still check ours every so often anyway.

About the Peterhead caches. Because of the DNFs the CO has been out and checked the caches and they are missing. They're now going to replace/move/etc the caches. Happy ending! :P

DNF s.. when i go out caching the first thing i do when i get back is log any dnf s FIRST, then i log any tb s and geocoins in and out, i then start on the logs but that is not such a priority,i catch those up if im busy over the next few days. yes i do also think that dnf s are important for all and lots of those reasons . happy caching and not too many dnf s jeff=bones1. :)

I DNF-log the caches I don't find because of the pleasure it clearly brings the next person who comes along and finds it in the first place they look. It's always 'and it's only the third cache I've looked for!' too. I also use the logs to remind me to return to the area to try to find it again. Finding a cache with a string of DNFs is always nice -a public service for the setter?- and clearly DNFs do give feedback to the owner about possible problems. When I see DNFs I have a quick look at the DNFer's profile to see if it's the sort of hide they should have come across in the past (8 finds, looking for a magnetic nano? 1496 finds, looking for a big box under a pile of sticks?) and give a cache some benefit of the doubt if it may have fooled a newbie.

The bottom line is, for me, the only reasons not to log a DNF are i) I didn't/couldn't have a 'proper' look for the cache or ii) I found it :wub:

Edit to add an example: GC23QQE Manor on Guernsey. 30 finds, 7 DNFs, and two of those were mine in June! :)

Edited by Simply Paul

I also post DNF when I make a "reasonable effort". To me that just means I looked until I decided to stop; could be 5 minutes, could be an hour. If just as I reach GZ I get a call to come home immediately, I'll post a note, not a DNF.

Recently I solved the first stage of a puzzle cache (really was more like a multi-cache), but the final was too far away (I had limited time as I needed to catch a flight). I logged that as a Note.