Abandoned Cache ?

Hope this in the appropriate place to post this....

I have a question regarding a cache near my home. It's in a cemetery where I frequently go. (own lots there and go there to visit). I looked at the cache about six weeks ago and there was some swag in it but no log book. Out of curiosity I have checked on it several times since. It still does not have a log but has been logged on Geocaching.com since I first checked it. That is not my concern though. I contacted the owner of the cache through Geocaching.com and told him about the missing log and that the cache needs maintenance. He has not replied but seems to be active as he is still logging found caches. What should be

done about this cache, if anything ?

It's interesting to see how quickly caches will either get fixed or archived, when someone posted a needs archived note to one, even if it's had a needs maintenance one listed on it for weeks.

Exactly. I recently found a cache which had a NM (broken container) posted in February '09 and the owner posted that he'd get a new container out a week or two later. Didn't post a maintenance log, so the NM remained flagged. Another NM in November '09 for the same type of problem. More NM logs posted throughout 2010, with no activity on the cache seen from the CO.

I posted an NA on it, the local reviewer disabled it, and the CO finally archived a few days later.

It's interesting to see how quickly caches will either get fixed or archived, when someone posted a needs archived note to one, even if it's had a needs maintenance one listed on it for weeks.

I went the NM/NA route on one. The reviewer did archive the cache. About three or four weeks later the reviewer unarchived the cache because it was now finally fixed. Some CO's have a really hard time finding TUIT's.

Or be a good sam, and add the missing log book. Then let it live.

Not as good an idea as it may at first sound. I think there is a very good possibility that the OP actually found a 2nd container, possibly an older one, and by adding a log to that, he has effectively created a duplicate cache. I saw this situation happen locally only a week ago.
Or be a good sam, and add the missing log book. Then let it live.

Not as good an idea as it may at first sound. I think there is a very good possibility that the OP actually found a 2nd container, possibly an older one, and by adding a log to that, he has effectively created a duplicate cache. I saw this situation happen locally only a week ago.

Yeah, not as good as it sounds. If you want to help the CO out start by asking the CO if such an action is ok with them.

Exactly. I recently found a cache which had a NM (broken container) posted in February '09 and the owner posted that he'd get a new container out a week or two later. Didn't post a maintenance log, so the NM remained flagged. Another NM in November '09 for the same type of problem. More NM logs posted throughout 2010, with no activity on the cache seen from the CO.

I posted an NA on it, the local reviewer disabled it, and the CO finally archived a few days later.

Which probably means the cache owner just abandoned it and now there is geotrash left behind...be a Good Sam and go collect that container!

Which probably means the cache owner just abandoned it and now there is geotrash left behind...be a Good Sam and go collect that container!

Actually, he posted that he was going to pick it up.

I went the NM/NA route on one. The reviewer did archive the cache. About three or four weeks later the reviewer unarchived the cache because it was now finally fixed. Some CO's have a really hard time finding TUIT's.

Actually, TUIT's are relatively easy to find, it's the round ones that are hard to come by. :):blink:

Actually, TUIT's are relatively easy to find, it's the round ones that are hard to come by. :):blink:

I got around to it once. Its now in Rhode Island.

11ad65e8-a907-4d4d-a9d7-a13e825a26ff.jpg

Those are pretty. I always wanted to buy one, but I never got around to it.

I did find a wooden one in a cache once.

Actually, TUIT's are relatively easy to find, it's the round ones that are hard to come by. :anibad:<_<

Those are pretty. I always wanted to buy one, but I never got around to it.

I did find a wooden one in a cache once.

I'm collecting every one of those 'Eat,Stay,Play' tokens I can find and converting them to TUITS.

Look for one in a cache near you soon.