Garmin Dakota 20 vs. Delorme Earthmate PN-40

koolcoastekid

Hi,

Im getting a new gps soon, but cant decide between dakota 20 or earthmate pn-40.

Could anyone with a dakota 20 or eathmate pn 40 please reply, posting your good and bad experience with the units. Also, could you reply how hard/easy it is do download caches, and how quickly it can be done. Also wondering how acurate it is, and any other small tips, and helpful information.

Or if you own both, what one you prefer.

Thanks alot!

Edited by koolcoastekid

I've had both.

Toss-ups: Buttons vs touchscreen is a personal preference, I found controls on both to be easily usable.

I don't have any scientific, rigorous side-by-side testing for accuracy. My unscientific feeling is the PN-40 is more accurate -- but both are more than accurate enough for geocaching. Both let you easily download cache data directly to the unit and support paperless caching.

DeLorme pluses: The PN-40's screen is better, easier to read. You get a lot of maps with the package. Mapping software included with the package (along with additional products available from DeLorme) are a plus if you're really interested in making your own maps rather than just following/recordng tracks.

Garmin pluses: The Dakota 20 has more maps available overall, both commercially available and free/open sourced. There are international maps available. Garmin offers native Mac software to complement their PC offerings. Batteries last a lot longer. Dakota is smaller and easier to tuck into a coat pocket. Standard USB cable, easily and inexpensively available if you need a spare or replacement.

If I think of anything else relevant, I'll add to this post.

Hope this helps.

Edited by lee_rimar

Is car auto-routing important to you? Both machines can do it (once the appropriate maps are installed) but the Garmin handhelds tend to do it a bit better than the Delormes.

NEITHER one is as good as even the cheapest lowliest Nuvi :anicute: but if you want auto-routing as a decent option as an all-in-one solution, keep this in mind.

My unscientific feeling is the PN-40 is more accurate --
... pre- or post- the 3.30 firmware for the Dakota...?
Pre. But as I said, I did not test with scientific rigor, and in all cases both seemed accurate enough for the task at hand.

Really, I liked everything about the Dakota except for the screen. Entirely subjective, and my own fussiness on this is due to trying to find an acceptable (fixed) viewing angle on bicycle handlebars. As a handheld, that probably wouldn't be a problem -- even for my aging eyeballs.

Is car auto-routing important to you? Both machines can do it (once the appropriate maps are installed) but the Garmin handhelds tend to do it a bit better than the Delormes.

NEITHER one is as good as even the cheapest lowliest Nuvi :anicute: but if you want auto-routing as a decent option as an all-in-one solution, keep this in mind.

I do agree with you on the routing, but what good is it if you cannot see it. When you are driving you need to keep turning it to see it. I do use my PN-40 and -60 for auto routing, but my Nuvi 500 is the best for this. The Delormes are good in a pinch or to get to caches, but a Nuvi is better and almost as cheap as City Nav.

From what I've read the Delorme's are great units with the exception of batteries. The Delorme's eat them almost quite literally while the Garmin's are better at power consumption. The Delorme PN60 has supposedly fixed the hungry battery issues.

Despite Lee's advice I went with the Garmin 60CSx :anicute: I just couldn't pass up the price and everything it came with for the price the guy was selling it for. It will be arriving next week and I can't wait to start playing with it. Now I just have to get acquanted with the free map sites....

From what I've read the Delorme's are great units with the exception of batteries. The Delorme's eat them almost quite literally while the Garmin's are better at power consumption. The Delorme PN60 has supposedly fixed the hungry battery issues.

Despite Lee's advice I went with the Garmin 60CSx :anicute: I just couldn't pass up the price and everything it came with for the price the guy was selling it for. It will be arriving next week and I can't wait to start playing with it. Now I just have to get acquanted with the free map sites....

I can vouch for the PN-60's excellent battery minding. I've got 8 hours so far on battery and it looks like I still have 60% remaining. If that's true, it will beat my Garmin by several hours!!

Edited by Hank30721
... PN-60's ... t 8 hours so far on battery and it looks like I still have 60% remaining. If that's true, it will beat my Garmin
Hank:

- What kind of batteries are you running in the PN-60?

- What model Garmin are you comparing it to?

DeLorme has rightly some heat for poor battery life in the PN-40. They've done two things about it:

1) Improved power usage in the PN-60, and

2) Started shipping the units with Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries.

Those particular batteries will last much longer than alkaline or NIMH -- in just about ANY model of GPS. But they cost more too, end up costing more more per hour of use than just about any other battery you could pick.

Edited by lee_rimar
... PN-60's ... t 8 hours so far on battery and it looks like I still have 60% remaining. If that's true, it will beat my Garmin
Hank:

- What kind of batteries are you running in the PN-60?

- What model Garmin are you comparing it to?

DeLorme has rightly some heat for poor battery life in the PN-40. They've done two things about it:

1) Improved power usage in the PN-60, and

2) Started shipping the units with Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries.

Those particular batteries will last much longer than alkaline or NIMH -- in just about ANY model of GPS. But they cost more too, end up costing more more per hour of use than just about any other battery you could pick.

I'm running the lithiums shipped with the unit. I also use lithiums in my Garmin which is a 76Csx.

'm running the lithiums shipped with the (PN-60). I also use lithiums in my Garmin which is a 76Csx.
Well... we're really running off topic here, as those are entirely different models than what the OP asked about, but... I'd really be interested (if you have a chance) in a real run-down comparison. Each starting with a fresh pair of batteries, going until low-power shutdown, on the go, not on the windowsill.

Even so, it wouldn't be sensible (or even possible) to relate those results back to the OP's question. For the models he actually DID ask about, batteries in a Dakota 20 last at least twice as long as in the PN40.

Edited by lee_rimar

I dont really need auto-routing, as most caches I do are on Rails to trails and backroads.

If you go from cache to cache by vehicle as I do, you may also find the battery eating characteristic to be a non-issue.

I use the RCR-V3, rechargeable Li-Ion battery pack in my PNs, which can be recharged while in a PN-XX from a 12VDC source while driving.

I never take the rechargeable battery pack out and I never use any type of AA battery, although I do carry both expendable and rechargeable AAs as spare.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa
'm running the lithiums shipped with the (PN-60). I also use lithiums in my Garmin which is a 76Csx.
Well... we're really running off topic here, as those are entirely different models than what the OP asked about, but... I'd really be interested (if you have a chance) in a real run-down comparison. Each starting with a fresh pair of batteries, going until low-power shutdown, on the go, not on the windowsill.

Even so, it wouldn't be sensible (or even possible) to relate those results back to the OP's question. For the models he actually DID ask about, batteries in a Dakota 20 last at least twice as long as in the PN40.

I only mentioned the 60 because someone suggested it. As far as a side by side comparison of my units, that's basically what I am doing. I've been hiking and geocaching with both units just until I can be completely familiar with the 60.

My 76 is already down to 25%. I fully expect 12 to 14 hours of use out of my garmin before it dies. That's about typical for it in the 4 years I've owned it. In the 76, Duracel Ultras last just as long and cost less. I installed the lithiums just to do a side by side.

To keep this on topic, I would suggest the OP consider the 60 over the 40.

In the 76, Duracel Ultras last just as long and cost less
That's weird. Are Duracell Ultras some kind of improved alkaline or a lithum battery? What battery-type setting do you use in the 76csx when you use the Energizer Lithiums?

Ah... and keeping this on topic for the OP: Even though I was first to bring up Garmin's battery life as a plus, battery life is only a problem if you're using disposable batteries (where cost per hour of use becomes an issue), or you're planning such a long outing that carrying enough spares is difficult. For most day-trippers, using rechargeables to cut costs and throwing one (or two (or three!)) sets of spare batteries in your pocket is no big deal.

Ok, so now that I know about the battery life on the units, have there been any glitches or bad stuff/downside that happend to one of those units? And, if someone owns both, what one do you prefer also?

I would say all or most of the problems have been taken care of with PN-40. I have had both and sold the Dakota 20. I did not like that you had to move it to see the screen and the way it did multi's. It was nice and small and worked good. I also thought I was flipping through a lot of screens to check things out. I kept my PN-40 and also bought a PN-60. My Wife who is not a tech person loves the PN-40.

Thanks

... what one do you prefer...?
For geocaching, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these.

I prefer Garmin overall; Yinnies like DeLorme; we've each explained our own reasons. But which details really matter to YOU? Screen visibility, size, weight, battery life, map variety, international maps, Mac support, price for new or used unit? Other?

Some of these factors will favor G, some D. If you REALLY can't decide -- buy BOTH from a vendor with a liberal return policy (REI, for example) and return the one you don't like.

Just think, the time you're spending vacillating could be better spent geocaching!

... what one do you prefer...?
For geocaching, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these.

I prefer Garmin overall; Yinnies like DeLorme; we've each explained our own reasons. But which details really matter to YOU? Screen visibility, size, weight, battery life, map variety, international maps, Mac support, price for new or used unit? Other?

Some of these factors will favor G, some D. If you REALLY can't decide -- buy BOTH from a vendor with a liberal return policy (REI, for example) and return the one you don't like.

Just think, the time you're spending vacillating could be better spent geocaching!

That is what I did was to buy and use both. Then I made up my mind and sold the DK20. I do not think you can make a bad choice with either. I just liked the fetures of the Delorme better.

Multis are supported in a new way with 3.30 firmware on the Dakota 20.

I had heard that, but it was not the case when I had mine. I am telling him what I liked and did not at the time I had it. That for me would be a big plus.

Thanks

Understood. You traded yours out before they finally solidified a lot of good things in the code. Just want him to be aware that some of the previous gripes have been addressed.

I think I am going for the dakota, but before I make my decion, Is the screen on the dakota hard to touch the right bouttons?

I had some problems but after I calibrated the screen not so much. I have only owned the Dakota 20 as far as GPS goes. I am happy with it so far. I bought it mainly for backpacking. It works great on my bicycle and can be used in my truck as well. The screen is fine except in certain low light situations, not so much when it's dark but in the shade of tree cover. The ambient light seems to overwhelm the screen sometimes.

I think I am going for the dakota, but before I make my decion, Is the screen on the dakota hard to touch the right bouttons?

I had some problems but after I calibrated the screen not so much.

What do you mean, calibrating the screen?

Also, could someone tell me how many menue pages there are, and also the selections/features(stuff on main menu pages)?Also, on the map, can you click on the geocache icon, and get the name, and chosedto go to it?

I can only talk about the PN-0 because that is what I own.

Positives are:

Accurate

32gb SDHC memory card capable(not included) I have a 16 gb and have loaded all kinds of maps

Map Library(30$ a year for all the maps you can load including aerial imagery and 1/24k topos)Don't have to search anywhere to get what I want!!

Rugged and can take punishment.

Screen is easy to read in all situations

2.8 firmware removes the need for any other program like GSAK to load PQ's. Just drag and drop!!

Buttons instead of touch screen. Personal preference I guess.

Negatives are:

Battery life- I use Nimh rechargables and get 8 hrs out those. What I did is buy the delorme carrying case and I can carry 4 extra batteries with that. I also bought the Lacrosse BC-9009 battery charger and it is seeming to extend my battery life. With that I have yet to run into an issue while caching with batteries.

Screen size. It is a bit smallish but still very clear and easy to read

Overall I really like my PN-40 and will buy the PN-60 as my next unit.

For the dakota, how exactly do you download caches, like quite a few at a time(like 50 at a time). How quickley is it done, what do you use to download it(is it as simple as pluging it on your computer and downloading them) but I heard somthing about Pocket Queries, what do you do, run the querie, and then load it on your gps, or is it more complicated than that? Do you have to download a certain program, or have certain softwear, bring it through that to the gps or anything. Someone with a dakota, please answer, maby even do the exat process they do when they download caches. THANKS