Can/Should a host log an Attended on their own Event cache?

KJcachers

Always wondered about this and now that we have hosted an event I still don't know the answer. :D

Yes. You attended, didn't you? (Would be rude not to attend an event you hosted. :D )

No problem with that, as far as I'm concerned. It's not like you're logging a "found it" on a cache you placed, eh?

:D

Edited by Pup Patrol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event

Prove me wrong.

Prove what?

Actually ALL event Attended logs are bogus. They increment your cache find count. You didn't find anything. I attend my fair share of events, but check my profile to see how many events I have FOUND. I wish Groundspeak would fix that, but I'm not expecting to get any Satisfaction.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bogus

I think I've made my point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event

Prove me wrong.

Prove what?

Actually ALL event Attended logs are bogus. They increment your cache find count. You didn't find anything. I attend my fair share of events, but check my profile to see how many events I have FOUND. I wish Groundspeak would fix that, but I'm not expecting to get any Satisfaction.

Considering that there have been a couple of times I have gone down wrong roads and ended up .35 miles from the coordinates, had to figure out where I went wrong and drive all over trying to find the right road to get to the event and showing up late, I feel pretty good about the fact that I "FOUND" the event. Some event locations are much harder to find than a key holder under a lamp skirt in a parking lot.

Edited by mtn-man

Actually ALL event Attended logs are bogus. They increment your cache find count. You didn't find anything.

I've seen a share of events that WERE pretty hard to find, obscure back roads in parks, brand new road that don't exist on most maps yet, and I've heard of a couple that weren't even on or near a road.

Most events also have a log to sign.

Edited by Potato Finder

I have failed to attend my own events twice.

While I don't think it's common, it certainly does happen. On those events I didn't attend, I didn't log an attended. My other events that I did attend, I logged using the "attended" log type.

I've DNFed two events - per Riffster's post above, you can't log a DNF on an event, so I posted notes.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Nope. This side is the events I've hosted - This side is the events I've attended that others have hosted.

Add them both together and you'll know how many events I've been to.

That's my thinking, which is why I only log notes on my events. It seems however that most other people disagree and log attendeds on their events. I don't see anything wrong with that, it can be argued that they attended it so why not log an attended? Just not the way I like to do it.

Ohhhh no :) Here it comes again...

Each time this topic appears I end up being swayed one way, then the other... my patootie* gets a groove in it from all the sitting on the fence I try to do...

At first I thought it was obvious - Of course you should log an event if you're the hosts because if you attended then you attended...

But then after reading others' views, the opposite side of the (geo)coin, they also made logical sense because if you look at your profile icons/statistics then one side shows you that you get a 'credit' for setting an event and the other you get one for attending an event soooooo if you log your own event as attended you get two credits for the same thing which doesn't seem quite right...

At the moment I'm on the side of "No, I'm not logging our own events as attended"...

(but I may have changed my mind by the time this topic surfaces again.)

(It's a woman's prerogative :D )

MrsB

*I've been waiting for a suitable opportunity to use this word ever since I dicovered it on the Off Topic forum. We don't use it here in UK and I think it's a good one.

The find count is not a score. The argument that you can't attended your own event because it would make your find count go up is bogus and illogical. The argument that you can't attend your own event because you already got credit for hosting it and attending would be double credit is bogus and illogical. People clearly attend events they own. People have also not attended events they own because something comes up at the last minute and they are unable to attend.

Never view the find count as score. Then you won't be tempted to ask silly questions in the forums.

The find count is not a score. The argument that you can't attended your own event because it would make your find count go up is bogus and illogical. The argument that you can't attend your own event because you already got credit for hosting it and attending would be double credit is bogus and illogical. People clearly attend events they own. People have also not attended events they own because something comes up at the last minute and they are unable to attend.

Never view the find count as score. Then you won't be tempted to ask silly questions in the forums.

Really? Okay. Yes, you can attend your own event. Yes, you can DNF an event. Yes, you can even say you didn't attend and still claim a find. Big whoop.

And you are still claiming an Attended because the score doesn't matter? Well, I might agree if you weren't doth protesting.

Bottom line, if it didn't matter you wouldn't do it.

Quit calling them caches and I might agree with the attended concept. (Nah, not if I get credit for the placement.)

Say NO to double stat records.

...one side shows you that you get a 'credit' for setting an event and the other you get one for attending an event...

That's true. Both sides show different things. I don't think one necessarily cancels out the other, as the stats represent different aspects of the game. Personally, it just feels more accurate to log it as attended, since I always fully participate in the activities of events I host, but I respect folks like Brian and Blue who feel otherwise. In my not so humble opinion, the only correct answer is to do what seems right, to you. Log it, or don't. As long as you are happy with the results, nothing else matters. :anicute:

.If I host an event, I will only log an attended if I was actually there.

Except for maybe some last minute emergency, do you think this really happens often where the host doesn't actually attend?

I hosted one in KC and didn't attend. I got stuck up in Alaska and couldn't make it back.

So for me I log events as attended if I was there and don't if I wasn't

As far as "getting credit" for an event twice. I get credit once for hosting it and once for attending it.

The hosting of an event involves lots of planning and time prior to the event, that is what I am getting credit for when I host the event.

The fun and visiting is what I get credit for when I attend.