Caching While Traveling

BikeBill

I occasionally take off on long road trips, primarily to sight-see and explore/experience the country. I am not as avid a cacher as many on this board but enjoy it and decided that I want to do some limited caching while on my trips. I cover a lot of ground, though, and can’t take the time for extended searches.

I did a trip from PA to the left coast and back recently and decided to bag at least one cache per state that I traveled through. Once I was in an area, I would locate the caches in one of two ways: 1) From a motel with wi-fi, I’d use Geocaching.com to check the local area for suitable caches, then search them out; or 2) Use my iPhone to locate nearby caches and then load the ‘toods in my Garmin for the final hunt. I did a fair amount of camping so the motel wi-fi was often not an option.

One problem I ran into was that I was in lots of areas with no wi-fi and no cell coverage. For example, I was almost out of Montana before I found a small town with AT&T cell coverage and then used my phone to get the ‘toods of a cache.

I realize that if I was really organized, I could map out caches to find before I departed home. I’m not that organized, though, plus my route wasn’t written in stone.

How do you guys cache while traveling?

Taoiseach and I travelled quite a bit this summer. We run pocket queries along routes for the next several days of travelling, especially when we know we'll be camping and not near wireless internet access. Between the two of us, we can run up to 10 pocket queries a day.

Another option would be to run lots of pocket queries in advance and dump everything into GSAK ahead of time. This wasn't necessary for us this time, but for a longer trip in more remote territory I'd probably do this.

In the past year or so I have found more caches while traveling then near home and the combination of pocket queries, pocket queries along a route, and the iPhone app have served me well. Although I can't always tell before hand whether or not I'll have cell or wifi service in a particular area I can do a pocket query from home before I leave if I suspect that might be the case. I also have to consider that even though I might be able to get cell service in some areas turning on data roaming could get real expensive (for example, when I traveled through Paris, Johannesburg, South Africa, and Tanzania earlier this year so creating pocket queries for those places before hand was the best option. When I travel to Beijing at the end of October, I'll have my GPS loaded up with caches (as well as other waypoints) before I go.

I travel a lot for work, and always try to find a couple when on the road. I usually "cherry pick" caches, looking for cool spots or parks with more than a couple of caches in them. I bookmark them, and then run a PQ. This saves me from looking for a lot of parking lot caches.

For caching specific trips, I do the same thing, but on a grander scale. Next month, a group of us are embarking on our 4th multi-state cache run (5 states for this one). I pull of hte geocaching Google map, and start looking for parks, forests, etc that might have scenic walks or views. I will also post in the forums looking for suggestions. Because of time limitations, we avoid long hikes.

For this upcoming trip, I have about 100 caches bookmarked. I figure if we do 1/3 to 1/2 of them we'll be lucky. But I have the areas and states covered, and some very cool caches and areas in the mix.

We actually made a major chnage to the plan when someone mentioned the Bridges of Madison County were close to where we were headed. So we planned the detour, and now we have some cool photo ops, get to visit John Wayne's birthplace, and grab a couple of nifty caches (including one in a hedge maze!).

This requires a lot of up-front pre-planning, but it has always been worth it.

I spent two weeks this summer traveling with the wife and kids out west by RV. I loaded up caches that would be along our route of travel and by interesting places we were going to. I even picked out a few across the border in Washington state so we could add that state to the map. I think over the two weeks I may have had 70 caches loaded into my GPS and that was it.

I did the same while traveling in the Pacific Northwest during GeoWoodstock. I had no real clear plan of my route or where I was going. But once I decided, I found that Starbucks was my friend. (I was never a big fan of the brand) So a cup of coffee (some of the time) or parked near the entrance I could receive wi-fi access and plan my route and find truck stops or motels to sleep at. Picked a point where I want to go and DL'd the coords into my 60csx, Nuvi and cachemate and off I went.

Planning a similar trip soon, before it gets cold gonna try for Route 66!

Lots of good advice, people - Thanks!

Buttaskotch - I didn't use Starbucks but I did use Burger King and McDonald's along the way for wi-fi (and bathrooms).

Good luck on your Route 66 trip. I did that in October '08 and it was a great adventure. This time I was following Old Lincoln Highway east from SF. I took U.S. Route 2 to go westward. Both routes had lots of miles with no wi-fi or cell coverage.

We took a trip from Illinois to the East Coast last month. I did a PQ for caches along a route and then picked plenty that I thought looked good. Removed the ones that had a string of DNFs and noted a couple with TBs that were wanting to come west. I only have a Garmin eTrex so I downloaded each cache individually and then copied and pasted the name, cache info, etc into a Word doc and printed it. It was a lot of work, but I don't have an iPhone or a laptop so if we didn't go prepared, we wouldn't have done any caching.

I think I ended up finding 13 on our trip. I would have hunted for more if my DH had been more compliant.

I went on a cruise through the Caribbean in August.

Before I left I ran PQs for the various ports we would be visiting.

I never got the webcam cache in Port Canaveral, even though it was close by, just couldn't get it to fit into a tight schedule.

I did manage to log caches in 4 new countries, given that darn near every island is a different country.

Plus I got to place a cache in Haiti, well I got to replace the muggled cache that was in the cruise port before it got archived forever (its a grandfathered vacation cache that relies upon cruising cachers to maintain it).

I plan to find some more out of the way ones this fall as my kid's travel soccer season starts up.

There's WiFi available at a tremendous number of places when you're travelling.

The places I've found it the easiest:

Truck Stops - all the Flying J's have wifi as do most of the other larger chains of truck stops.

That other chicken chain, not KFC had wifi everywhere we went - Chick Fil A

Once we stayed at a motel that leaves the light on we figured out what their very simple password system was...it worked in all the parking lots up and down the eastern seaboard. (We only used it in desperation cause it felt like cheating... :anicute: )

Coffee and donut shops have already been mentioned.

We didn't bother to run a bunch of PQ's beforehand because our routing was more of a day by day thing (actually some days it was hour by hour. :D )but stopping for a break and going into GC.com google mapping led us to some really nice caches as opposed to the parking lot ones at the rest areas.

<<What are "'toods"? >>

The Latitood & Longitood... Just silly slang.

I love it, and I'm gonna swipe it and use it myself :anicute:

Truck Stops - all the Flying J's have wifi as do most of the other larger chains of truck stops.

Yeah, for a fee. I've not yet come across a truck stop that had free wifi.

Edited by ScarabDrowner

I run some PQs of areas which may be along my way. Start accumulating them days in advance of travel then fill up my Oregon 450 and the rest on a tablet computer. As I move along I can swap GPX files.

I do have a tendency to get caught up in finds (there's always time for one more!) and run a bit late. When driving to GeoWoodstock I was just leaving California as the sun was getting low, so had to drive almost straight through Oregon, only taking in 1 find before crossing into Washington and finding a hotel to overnight.

Recently, on my way back from Yosemite Valley, I was wandering around Highway 132 until just about sunset. I was only about 40 miles out of the park and a looong way from home. Didn't help I flatted in Merced on the way back, though pulling into a lit parking lot (probably an LPC there somewhere!) was helpful for pulling half my stuff out of the car and changing the wheel.

I'm pretty notorious for pulling into the driveway about the time I should be going to bed (or already fast asleep) with about 20 finds to log. (What?!? It's 2 AM? I have to get up in 4 hours!)

Ah, well, it's all part of growing up. :anicute:

I travel a lot for work, and always try to find a couple when on the road. I usually "cherry pick" caches, looking for cool spots or parks with more than a couple of caches in them. I bookmark them, and then run a PQ. This saves me from looking for a lot of parking lot caches.

For caching specific trips, I do the same thing, but on a grander scale. Next month, a group of us are embarking on our 4th multi-state cache run (5 states for this one). I pull of hte geocaching Google map, and start looking for parks, forests, etc that might have scenic walks or views. I will also post in the forums looking for suggestions. Because of time limitations, we avoid long hikes.

Pretty much exactly how I roll, except that most of my travel is pleasure not work. I travel and cache with an Oregon 450 and a netbook, so I always have my data handy. I never go anywhere without planning out a bookmark list of caches, often along several possible routes. I'm trying to complete the NC Delorme and County Challenges. So on a recent trip back from Atlanta to see someone who was heading overseas for a few years I detoured through the SW corner of the state to fill in some blanks. There aren't a lot of roads in that area, so I gave myself a few options in each county/page that needed to be acquired. I've also got BM lists of several other loop routes that will allow me to get some other missing pages/counties.

I prefer the slightly more tedious method of scrolling along the geogooglemaps and opening new tabs for the caches that are within striking distance of my route and exits. I've been burned too many times getting caches in my PQ via the caches along a route method that are actually relatively inaccessible from the interstate, even though they are only .5 miles from it due to the distance from an exit.

I value planning, and enjoy the process. I even have signs posted in my kitchen (work) that read: Think Plan Organize. I often remind my staff that carpenters measure twice and cut once, and so should they.

To the OP:

Been there many times. no WiFi, no AT&T and / or flat out distanced the PQ's. A time or two or more just turned down a road that just looked inviting. Got a GeomateJr. and frequently do the happy dance because of it.

Had to get a second GeomateJr because my original was out on loan so much of the time.

Edited by humboldt flier

Buttaskotch - I didn't use Starbucks but I did use Burger King and McDonald's along the way for wi-fi (and bathrooms).

Good luck on your Route 66 trip. I did that in October '08 and it was a great adventure. This time I was following Old Lincoln Highway east from SF. I took U.S. Route 2 to go westward. Both routes had lots of miles with no wi-fi or cell coverage.

BikeBill,

have you thought about investing in a MiFi?

I have been seriously thinking of the Virgin model. $149 for the unit and no contract. And better yet $10 for 10 days of service )100MB) thats enough for DLing PQs, finding lodging, truck stops and other necessary things. I hear there is a 4G MiFi network in the Pacific Northwest and pockets around the country on another MiFi network.

I am thinking that this maybe a good investment if doing road trips...

BikeBill,

have you thought about investing in a MiFi?

I have been seriously thinking of the Virgin model. $149 for the unit and no contract. And better yet $10 for 10 days of service )100MB) thats enough for DLing PQs, finding lodging, truck stops and other necessary things. I hear there is a 4G MiFi network in the Pacific Northwest and pockets around the country on another MiFi network.

I am thinking that this maybe a good investment if doing road trips...

I talked with someone last week while at a meeting in Arizona that was using MiFi and was very happy with it. 4G MiFi networks and the proliferation of WiMax networks are going to be awesome. Consider a wireless hotspot that instead of a 100' radius, it has a radius of a mile and gives you several hundred megabits per second.

I talked with someone last week while at a meeting in Arizona that was using MiFi and was very happy with it. 4G MiFi networks and the proliferation of WiMax networks are going to be awesome. Consider a wireless hotspot that instead of a 100' radius, it has a radius of a mile and gives you several hundred megabits per second.

I'm considering upgrading my phone to the Sprint Evo. (I currently have a Blackberry Curve on the Sprint network.) The Evo can serve as a WiFi access point for up to four other devices!

I'm considering upgrading my phone to the Sprint Evo. (I currently have a Blackberry Curve on the Sprint network.) The Evo can serve as a WiFi access point for up to four other devices!

That sounds cool is the additional cellular service charged priced well or is it part of the regular contract? The Virgin one makes the $10 for 10 days or $40/month palatable (The unit gives access to up to 5 devices)

I know, ATT's tethering for iPhone is exhorbitently priced and honestly cost prohibitive to do it.

That sounds cool is the additional cellular service charged priced well or is it part of the regular contract? The Virgin one makes the $10 for 10 days or $40/month palatable (The unit gives access to up to 5 devices)

I know, ATT's tethering for iPhone is exhorbitently priced and honestly cost prohibitive to do it.

Sprint has an "all you can eat" $79/month plan that is unlimited web access, unlimited text messages, unlimited email, unlimited night and weekend phone calls, and unlimited mobile to mobile phone calls.

With the EVO, in anticipation of more data being transferred, they add an extra $10/month to that. It's still a great deal, in my opinion. I'm paying $79/month for the Blackberry now, so I'm basically getting a mobile WiFi access point for an additional $10/month.

Back in the earlier days before paperless & so many gadgets, we would find a local library. Stop & use their free internet. And pay a few cents to print off what we needed. Worked for use.

Now, I spend way too much time preparing before the trip.

I can also vouch for the Verizon MiFi or for satellite cards from cell companies as hubby has used & tested those for work while we travel. Those cost money however of course.

Since I've purchased an iPod Touch, I've been finding all kinds of free wifi. Hospitals/Medical centers or large doctors buildings. A motel while I was across the street getting an oil change. Airports - as far away as their Cell Parking Lots. McD & Panera bread. Small garage that does my car inspection sticker. My neighbors who have unsecured routers. And sometimes have even found it on the highway, following some truckers or trailer trucks. There are more, but those are the ones I remember.

Edited by wandering4cache
With the EVO, in anticipation of more data being transferred, they add an extra $10/month to that. It's still a great deal, in my opinion. I'm paying $79/month for the Blackberry now, so I'm basically getting a mobile WiFi access point for an additional $10/month.

I'll have to remember to sit near you at events in case I don't come prepared with caches to find already loaded. :anicute:

Panera Bread has free wifi, but for an hour a day, I think. Probably about half the hotels out there don't have passwords, if you don't mind doing that.

When we travel, a lot of the time we don't know exactly where we'll be, especially on big trips. Some of my biggest trips in the last couple of years have been to Australia, Florida, the whole NE, and the Oregon Coast.

I use a combination of a lot of the things that have been discussed here: internet card when I can borrow it from my dad, iphone, pq's, pq's along a route, hand picking caches and pqing the bookmark, other people's bookmarks of the area, and using the internet as I have it.

If I know that I'll be in certain towns, like on our NE trip (knew I'd be in certain towns like D.C., NYC, Pittsburgh, Philly, etc.), I'll use the geocaching google maps to find some good caches.

Even so, I always come back home and see caches that I've missed. :anicute::D It's not full-proof, but it's mostly good.

What are "'toods"?

As for me, I use the Geomate Jr. when I travel. It has caches from across the country already in it, so when I want to 'cache, I just turn it on and it takes me to the nearest one.

ME TOO!

The Geomate Jr. is GREAT for this type of geocaching.

As long as you use the upgrade kit, you will have a very recent download of thousands and thousands of caches . They'll all be Traditional Caches; no member only caches; and no 5 star terrain ... but still far more than you could ever hunt in a lifetime.

This is also perfect for me because my Garmin 60 can only store 1000 caches. But my PALM can store thousands. So, I CAN run multiple PQs of the area if I want to, and store them on my PALM.

I know that most "regular" geocachers thumb their noses up at the Geomate Jr. But I have found it fits a niche quite well.

What are "'toods"?

As for me, I use the Geomate Jr. when I travel. It has caches from across the country already in it, so when I want to 'cache, I just turn it on and it takes me to the nearest one.

ME TOO!

The Geomate Jr. is GREAT for this type of geocaching.

As long as you use the upgrade kit, you will have a very recent download of thousands and thousands of caches . They'll all be Traditional Caches; no member only caches; and no 5 star terrain ... but still far more than you could ever hunt in a lifetime.

This is also perfect for me because my Garmin 60 can only store 1000 caches. But my PALM can store thousands. So, I CAN run multiple PQs of the area if I want to, and store them on my PALM.

I know that most "regular" geocachers thumb their noses up at the Geomate Jr. But I have found it fits a niche quite well.

How true it is on all points

Back in the earlier days before paperless & so many gadgets, we would find a local library. Stop & use their free internet. And pay a few cents to print off what we needed. Worked for use.

We used the library in Drumheller to book and print our boarding passes for our return flight home. I think it cost us a couple of bucks, but well worth being able to pre-book our seats the dasy before the flight.

<snip> I usually "cherry pick" caches, looking for cool spots or parks with more than a couple of caches in them. I bookmark them, and then run a PQ. This saves me from looking for a lot of parking lot caches.

For caching specific trips, I do the same thing, but on a grander scale. Next month, a group of us are embarking on our 4th multi-state cache run (5 states for this one). I pull of hte geocaching Google map, and start looking for parks, forests, etc that might have scenic walks or views. <snip>

Pretty much exactly how I roll, except that most of my travel is pleasure not work. <snip> I never go anywhere without planning out a bookmark list of caches, often along several possible routes. <snip>

I prefer the slightly more tedious method of scrolling along the geogooglemaps and opening new tabs for the caches that are within striking distance of my route and exits. I've been burned too many times getting caches in my PQ via the caches along a route method that are actually relatively inaccessible from the interstate, even though they are only .5 miles from it due to the distance from an exit.

I value planning, and enjoy the process. I even have signs posted in my kitchen (work) that read: Think Plan Organize. I often remind my staff that carpenters measure twice and cut once, and so should they.

I also enjoy the planning process and "cherry pick" caches of the sort we like or in the sorts of places we want to visit (e.g. parks, historical sites). For our recent week-long trip to the upper midwest and Canada, we had four bookmarks. This time, my husband added bulk PQs pulled for the larger cities so that we had more freedom to roam once were were at a place. This also yielded a few gems (e.g., we decided to stop at a butterfly house in a park and once there found a great cache in the park nearby).

I travel a lot so I often find geocaches during my travels (found my first in Georgia this weekend!), usually just getting the coords off the iPhone as I'm not going anywhere particularly crazy.

What became a little bit of a hassle while traveling abroad in France and the UK is not wanting to turn on the roaming data plan obviously, so a bit more research was needed. Just ran a PQ or saved some coordinates at the hostel, no problem!

I am planning an extended trip to East Africa and Nepal in the future, however, and am not certain how to approach that because you can go several days without connectivity in those parts of the world easily- plus my netbook won't talk nicely to my GPS to boot! So in that case I'm betting on just downloading entire country PQs (honestly, how many caches can there be in, say, Uganda?) and seeing where I end up!

I travel a lot so I often find geocaches during my travels (found my first in Georgia this weekend!), usually just getting the coords off the iPhone as I'm not going anywhere particularly crazy.

What became a little bit of a hassle while traveling abroad in France and the UK is not wanting to turn on the roaming data plan obviously, so a bit more research was needed. Just ran a PQ or saved some coordinates at the hostel, no problem!

I am planning an extended trip to East Africa and Nepal in the future, however, and am not certain how to approach that because you can go several days without connectivity in those parts of the world easily- plus my netbook won't talk nicely to my GPS to boot! So in that case I'm betting on just downloading entire country PQs (honestly, how many caches can there be in, say, Uganda?)

16, four of them have never been found. That's fairly typical for east Africa. Pay close attention to the listings on caches in Africa. Some of them may be in places where you'd want to be very careful about visiting.

I"ve dealt with the data roaming issues as well. I ran up a pretty high bill the first time I as in Rome.

I am planning an extended trip to East Africa and Nepal in the future, however, and am not certain how to approach that because you can go several days without connectivity in those parts of the world easily- plus my netbook won't talk nicely to my GPS to boot! So in that case I'm betting on just downloading entire country PQs (honestly, how many caches can there be in, say, Uganda?)

16, four of them have never been found. That's fairly typical for east Africa. Pay close attention to the listings on caches in Africa. Some of them may be in places where you'd want to be very careful about visiting.

I"ve dealt with the data roaming issues as well. I ran up a pretty high bill the first time I as in Rome.

Thanks for the tips! Yeah looking it over none of the countries in that part of the world seem to have more than ~100 caches so I'll probably just download all of them and see where I end up. And I'll be sure to be careful, as it's not best to trek into the jungle by yourself as a solo 20-something year old female I'm sure. :)

Thanks for the tips! Yeah looking it over none of the countries in that part of the world seem to have more than ~100 caches so I'll probably just download all of them and see where I end up. And I'll be sure to be careful, as it's not best to trek into the jungle by yourself as a solo 20-something year old female I'm sure. :)

What other countries are you thinking of visiting? I'm working on a fairly new project that, if it gets funding, could take me back to Africa for the forth time since 2007. While on my second visit to Africa, to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia I discovered that there were one 4 active geocaches in the entire country. The last time I was in Africa I spent the night in Dar es Salaam, a region with about 3 million people and no caches within 40 miles.

What other countries are you thinking of visiting? I'm working on a fairly new project that, if it gets funding, could take me back to Africa for the forth time since 2007. While on my second visit to Africa, to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia I discovered that there were one 4 active geocaches in the entire country. The last time I was in Africa I spent the night in Dar es Salaam, a region with about 3 million people and no caches within 40 miles.

Plan is to fly to Zanzibar sometime in January when I finish my thesis, then fly out of Nairobi about two months later- hopefully safaris in both Tanzania and Kenya and making my way up to Uganda as well for a gorilla trek along the way! It's part of a round the world trip so after that Nepal, work my way to China, then... not sure yet. :)

I was in southern Africa last year as part of my first big wander around the world (pre-geocaching, sigh!) and South Africa in particular has quite a few, but nowhere near as many when you start heading north. I was amazed to discover there was no Victoria Falls earthcache until I created one a few months ago for example, despite it being the biggest waterfall in the world!

Plan is to fly to Zanzibar sometime in January when I finish my thesis, then fly out of Nairobi about two months later- hopefully safaris in both Tanzania and Kenya and making my way up to Uganda as well for a gorilla trek along the way! It's part of a round the world trip so after that Nepal, work my way to China, then... not sure yet. :)

I was in southern Africa last year as part of my first big wander around the world (pre-geocaching, sigh!) and South Africa in particular has quite a few, but nowhere near as many when you start heading north. I was amazed to discover there was no Victoria Falls earthcache until I created one a few months ago for example, despite it being the biggest waterfall in the world!

I spent almost a week about 200km west of Zanzibar in a town called Morogoro. It was gorgeous. I did a day safari in Mikumi National Park the day before I left (and also found a cache there). I spent about 20 minutes in Nairobi, Kenya, because my flight was running late (and had an unscheduled stop in Kilimanjaro). I haven't made it to Uganda but we've done a bit of work with Makerere University to there's always a chance I may visit there. I recently got somewhat of an informal invite to speak at a conference in Namibia next year but I doubt that'll happen. I've got a slightly greater chance of going to Costa Rica next year.

I was in Livingstone, Zambia for about a week, and before you had your earthcache at Victoria Falls published. At the time, there was a virtual on the Zambia size and a traditional (which I found) on the Zim side. I think both are still active. I also found a cache in South Africa (Joburg) that has since been archived but didn't find any in the country last time I was there..mostly because I was there to work and didn't have much free time.

I'll be going to China (Beijing) at the end of October and will hopefully find a handful of caches while I'm there. Again, I'm traveling for business but have added a couple of days for site seeing and geocaching to my itinerary.