Garmin 60 series and maps?

flyjazz

First,I've done a forum search looking for the answer to my question. If someone can find a link to an existing thread that contains the answer,please do so as it would be appreciated.

Here's the question. A friend owns a 60cx and asked me if you can have multiple maps loaded on a SD card that would display in her unit? For example,could she have city navigator and topo maps at the same time? Does the unit only read certain types of .img files and do they need to be simply put inside a folder called garmin on the SD card?

There are a lot of very knowledgeable members on this site and I appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

First,I've done a forum search looking for the answer to my question. If someone can find a link to an existing thread that contains the answer,please do so as it would be appreciated.

Here's the question. A friend owns a 60cx and asked me if you can have multiple maps loaded on a SD card that would display in her unit? For example,could she have city navigator and topo maps at the same time? Does the unit only read certain types of .img files and do they need to be simply put inside a folder called garmin on the SD card?

There are a lot of very knowledgeable members on this site and I appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

She can have many maps on the card but essentially only one file can be seen by the 60 at any given time. So if she loads all her maps at once she'll end up with one file, and be able to select maps from the gps.

There are ways to load multiple separate maps to the 60 but they involve renaming whichever map you want to use to gmapsupp.img if they are all on the same card.

She can also have multiple cars with different maps loaded, and switch those as necessary.

But the new Garmins, Oregon, Dakota, Colorado and 62/78 are able to have many maps on them at once, as they read any_name.img as a map.

She can have many maps on the card but essentially only one file can be seen by the 60 at any given time. So if she loads all her maps at once she'll end up with one file, and be able to select maps from the gps.

There are ways to load multiple separate maps to the 60 but they involve renaming whichever map you want to use to gmapsupp.img if they are all on the same card.

She can also have multiple cars with different maps loaded, and switch those as necessary.

But the new Garmins, Oregon, Dakota, Colorado and 62/78 are able to have many maps on them at once, as they read any_name.img as a map.

If I understand your explanation correctly and she has both City Navigator and Topo saved on her computer as two separate gmapsupp.img files,she could copy both files to her SD card,but only one map can be displayed on the GPS unit at a given time? Do the maps on the SD card need to be in a folder named Garmin?

Edited by flyjazz

If I understand your explanation correctly and she has both City Navigator and Topo saved on her computer as two separate gmapsupp.img files,she could copy both files to her SD card,but only one map can be displayed on the GPS unit at a given time? Do the maps on the SD card need to be in a folder named Garmin?

Yes, as long as each mapset had a distinct name on the card, you could rename whichever you wanted to use to gmapsupp.img when necessary.

And yes to the \garmin folder question.

It needs to be reiterated that the process described works with the "new Garmins, Oregon, Dakota, Colorado and 62/78", but it does not work with the Garmin 60 series.

The process described works with the 60. You can have many mapset files on the MicroSD but only the one called gmapsupp.img will be read by the 60.

The difference with the newer generation of gps is that all files with the extension .img can be read at the same time and selected independently through the gps setup.

It needs to be reiterated that the process described works with the "new Garmins, Oregon, Dakota, Colorado and 62/78", but it does not work with the Garmin 60 series.

The process described works with the 60. You can have many mapset files on the MicroSD but only the one called gmapsupp.img will be read by the 60.

The difference with the newer generation of gps is that all files with the extension .img can be read at the same time and selected independently through the gps setup.

Right, but the OP posted "If I understand your explanation correctly and she has both City Navigator and Topo saved on her computer as two separate gmapsupp.img files,she could copy both files to her SD card,but only one map can be displayed on the GPS unit at a given time? Do the maps on the SD card need to be in a folder named Garmin?"

This will not work on the the 60 series. You can only have a single GMAPSUPP.IMG file. That single file can (of course) have multiple map products within it.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

Right, but the OP posted "If I understand your explanation correctly and she has both City Navigator and Topo saved on her computer as two separate gmapsupp.img files,she could copy both files to her SD card,but only one map can be displayed on the GPS unit at a given time? Do the maps on the SD card need to be in a folder named Garmin?"

This will not work on the the 60 series. You can only have a single GMAPSUPP.IMG file. That single file can (of course) have multiple map products within it.

True, but I assumed the OP knew that you can't have two files of the same name in the same place and, while there would be two gmapsupp.img files, each would have an appropriate name other than gmapsupp.img while it was not being used as the current mapset.

In my case, on my Legend HCx, which is really very similar to the 60, I have a Topo V4.img and a Metroguide.img which get renamed accordingly, depending on which one I plan to use.

Assuming you have the two mapsets properly installed in Mapsource (that is, you have more than just a couple of .IMG files), then it's simple. Just select the geographic area you want from both maps in Mapsource, and have Mapsource send the result (which it combines into a single gmapsupp.img) to your unit.

There are 3rd-party tools for combining .IMG files, but they don't always work.