"Miracle Fruit"

Gratusin

I have recently heard about this thing called Miracle Fruit. It contains a glycoprotein called Miraculin that is supposed to react with your flavor receptors on the tongue so that sour and bitter flavors are sweet and meaty. I like to forage on the trail so we get fresh and nutritious ingredients in our backpacking meals while cutting down on stuff I have to pack. Most edibles, especially cactus fruits here in AZ, are only in season for a few weeks then they turn bitter. With this stuff, it seems that, provided the plant isn't poisonous, you can make anything, even out of season, palatable. This would open up an amazing amount of possibilities for foraging, and I was just wondering if anyone has heard about this stuff, or even better, used it.

There's a nursery that sells Fruit Trees just up the road from me. They sell via mail order, but only to Australia. I bought a Miracle Fruit about 6 months ago. It hasn't grown any bigger yet, and is still only about 8 inches high. It's coming into spring here, so hopefully it will grow a bit soon, and have berries.

Sounds awesome! Here in Arizona, we don't have too many places that sell fruit trees, but I would love to hear how it works out for you. I'm thinking of getting some powder or tablets that have the concentrated protein in it. Its supposed to taste like pop rocks.

I have recently heard about this thing called Miracle Fruit. It contains a glycoprotein called Miraculin that is supposed to react with your flavor receptors on the tongue so that sour and bitter flavors are sweet and meaty. I like to forage on the trail so we get fresh and nutritious ingredients in our backpacking meals while cutting down on stuff I have to pack. Most edibles, especially cactus fruits here in AZ, are only in season for a few weeks then they turn bitter. With this stuff, it seems that, provided the plant isn't poisonous, you can make anything, even out of season, palatable. This would open up an amazing amount of possibilities for foraging, and I was just wondering if anyone has heard about this stuff, or even better, used it.

Slightly off topic from miracle fruit but, have you considered taking up hunting? Their are plenty of "fresh edibles" that crawl, swim, fly, or walk/run.

Slightly off topic from miracle fruit but, have you considered taking up hunting? Their are plenty of "fresh edibles" that crawl, swim, fly, or walk/run.

Sure do. I have my license and I always carry a firearm of some sorts on a backpack. Although, while backpacking, we keep game to smaller animals such as squirrels, rabbits and snakes. Most of our hikes are in national forests, so its perfectly legal, although, I will admit that at times I get an Edward Abbey-esque urge to take up an anarchist flag, say screw the government, and nab a few rabbits with a pellet gun while in the general area of city limits. I fully disagree with killing indiscriminately, being in the Army for the first invasion of Iraq turned me off to that, so I always try to use every part of the animal.

Anyways, since animals are always tasty, miracle fruit probably wouldn't do any good there, but with out of season fruits and veggies I imagine it would be some sort of foragers godsend.