Bookmarks

terratin

Most likely not the correct forum, but there's no other forum to ask this. ("Geocaching.com Web Site" is read only and "Geocaching.com Web Site Feedback" seems not the right place for this question).

Anyhow...i'm pressing on.

So bookmarks. Was just tidying our various bookmark lists up a bit and ran into the 'I want to share this list with others.' option. What is it? And how is it different from 'Make this list public'?

Mr. Terratin

Most likely not the correct forum, but there's no other forum to ask this. ("Geocaching.com Web Site" is read only and "Geocaching.com Web Site Feedback" seems not the right place for this question).

Anyhow...i'm pressing on.

So bookmarks. Was just tidying our various bookmark lists up a bit and ran into the 'I want to share this list with others.' option. What is it? And how is it different from 'Make this list public'?

Mr. Terratin

Shared means other users can see it if you provide a link, but it doesn't appear on the cache page sidebar. I think shared lists should show up on your profile under the bookmark tab. Why don't they?

Public lists are linked from the sidebar on cache pages.

I agree it's not all that intuitive. Would be nice to have a little blurb on the page where you choose the settings explain the differences.

I have one list marked public - My favorites - and a few other ones are merely shared as I don't think they'd add anything to the cache by cluttering up the bookmark tab. I link to the shared lists from my profile page.

Edited by rob3k

Thanks all for the explanation and the KB link.

I think shared lists should show up on your profile under the bookmark tab. Why don't they?
Just tested that: 'shared' lists do show up on your public profile page.

Mr. Terratin

I only see one list on your profile and it is both shared and public.

I only see one list on your profile and it is both shared and public.
hm, yes. Earlier i only tried 'share' on/off. But for a list to appear in your profile is apperantly has to have both 'share' and 'public' active.

So if we want to share a public bookmark list, we make it publicly shared or simply start sharing it in public...

Mr. Terratin

Edited by terratin