Using a garmin in New Zealand

laj001

I took a Garmin I bought in the US to New Zealand to do some geocaching. However, it seems to be going very slow. I've let it load for a while but the compass does not come up. I figured switching countries would mess it up a little but it really does not seem to be working. Can anyone help?

Please let us know which Garmin model you are using.

It will normally take some time for the GPS to readjust when you travel long distances. eTrexes and other similar devices even have an option to set when the device first tries to acquire satellites in a completely new area.

But don't worry: I have used my eTrex in Europe, North America, and South America without a problem.

Cheers.

You can help the process quite a bit by manually telling it where you are, I forget the exact procedure but I think it's off the Sat page. You basically pan the map to close to where you are and let it figure the rest.

This of course does assume you have a basemap that can help you with this. In '05 me and the mrs went to NZ and I used a 60CSx to record the bike rides on the north and south islands without difficulty, so your Garmin *will* certainly work well enough there.