Earthcaches

Mallah

What is the accepted etiquette regards to logging Earthcaches that are local? I've found a couple near me that I have spent many hours crawling over, including one [Castles on the hill GC19X1X] where we have a scout shelter (not the nicest places to stay these days but it's dry!)

My question is, is it expected that I visit places like this especially to log it, OR can I log it on the basis I know it extremely well, or in other cases drive through or past it on a regular basis? e.g. Winnats Pass - The Coral Reef GC1JPEQ

Thanks for your thoughts.

Simply put, fulfill the "logging requirements", after looking at both pic plus questions be answered. Without it, people may try "armchair logging". My personal opinion... ALL Earthcaches should have a PHOTO REQUIRED to log them, but that is an entire different argument.

With no disrespect to the OP, I often wonder why people ask these sort questions on an open forum. There are no definitive answers here; only a diversity of opinions. Acceptability for one is a no-no for another. True, some like to set themselves up as the oracle and consider their opinion to be held as 'the truth', Others will not even bother to respond. It's a game... play it your way.

My opinion, for the little it's worth... If you can fulfil the cache setters requirements without having to visit the location again then email your response to them; they will accept it or not, as pleases them. At the end of the day, the only people who are remotely interested in whether you log the cache or not are you and the cache setter. No other opinions are worth a tinkers cuss.

[NOT sent from my mobile device]

TFTQ.

(Sorry, had to abandon that post when a customer came in the shop and hit send instead of enter)

If it is a place that is very close to you and that you visit regularly, what's the hardship in 'doing the cache' properly.

If it won't involve a special visit, then just gather the info you need next time you are there and send it off to the CO.

Don't see the point in tryig to take shortcuts when doing it properly wouldn't involve any additional travelling.

Edited by Lovejoy and Tinker

To claim the cache, you need to satisfy the requirements stated on the cache page ie: Email the answers to certain questions to the owner and upload a photo or yourself or your GPSr at the site.

Photos unrelated to the geologic content of the EarthCache can no longer be required, ie face/gps pic.

Why?

Most Earthcaches I've done require at least a picture of the GPS and the geologic content. I appreciate that for whatever reason some people don't like pictures of themselves.

In all honesty, providing you can prove that you were there, I don't really see an issue - i mean if you don't want to (for whatever reason) not show your GPS, then show something like your dog, your watch, your car, your shoe etc.

I know we don't have the problems with armchair logging like some other countries (cough**Germany**cough) because I like to think most of us are honest people who 'cache to go out and enjoy the extraordinary goodness that our wonderful Britain provides.

Why?

Most Earthcaches I've done require at least a picture of the GPS and the geologic content. I appreciate that for whatever reason some people don't like pictures of themselves.

In all honesty, providing you can prove that you were there, I don't really see an issue - i mean if you don't want to (for whatever reason) not show your GPS, then show something like your dog, your watch, your car, your shoe etc.

I know we don't have the problems with armchair logging like some other countries (cough**Germany**cough) because I like to think most of us are honest people who 'cache to go out and enjoy the extraordinary goodness that our wonderful Britain provides.

The guidelines regarding this got updated in January I think, it is just that a lot of cache owners haven't updated their cache pages.

from the EC guidelines, my bold :

Logging of an EarthCache must involve visitors undertaking some educational task that relates to the Earth science at the site. This could involve measuring or estimating the size of some feature or aspect of the site, collecting and recording data (such as time of a tidal bore), or sending an e-mail to the cache owner with the answer to Earth science related questions they obtained by reading an information display. While photographs may be requested, they do not take the place of other logging requirements. Taking a photograph alone or asking people to do internet research does NOT meet these logging guidelines. Requests for specific content in the photograph (must include the visitor's face, for example) will be considered an additional logging requirement and must be optional. Cache owners may not delete the cache seeker's log based solely on optional tasks.

As for us personally, we don't mind, we like taking pics :laughing:

Not everybody does armchair logging in Germany (I did one and then saw the errors of my ways). But you are right, there are special requirements for Earthcaches.

Slightly off topic, but in reply to a post made within it

Both Groundspeak and the German Reviewers are working extremely hard to change this. And the arm chair logging ethos in Germany is changing as a result of this hard work.

Deci

Another option is simply don't log Earthcaches - I don't! :laughing:

I may visit those of interest but they way I personally play the game, if there's no log book to sign then I don't log it.

For the same reason I don't do virtuals or webcam caches either. That said there are a handful of "puzzle" caches that caught me out which are really just virtuals by another name.

If it's loggable without revisiting (and it must be or else you'd know that you have to revisit) then I don't see the problem - go ahead.

I do the same as mcwomble and might visit an interesting one but don't log it as a "find" as I consider the logging requirements often too pointless and tedious. Well-intentioned though they might be.

I think it's nice to post a note to say "thanks for pointing this out", though.

Another option is simply don't log Earthcaches - I don't! :laughing:

I may visit those of interest but they way I personally play the game, if there's no log book to sign then I don't log it.

For the same reason I don't do virtuals or webcam caches either. That said there are a handful of "puzzle" caches that caught me out which are really just virtuals by another name.

Ditto (apart from one special exception as a thank you to another caching team)