Field Notes

I just got a Garmin Dakota 10 and was very excited about the paperless geocaching. I'm very depressed that when I click "Found" on the GPS it doesn't show up in my Field Notes. I've investigated and realized only a certain few devices Field Notes work; Are there plans in the near future so all devices can be able to do Field Notes? Is there something I can do to make it work? It's very frustrating trying to keep track of which caches I found without the paper to write it all down and log later :laughing:

from my understanding it should work with the dakota 10 just as well. are you not uploading the geocache_visits.txt for your field notes? or are you running your GPX files through some application which maybe changes the waypoint names around?

Thanks for your response. Pardon my ignorance.. This is my first unit, but how do I upload what you are telling me to upload?? I didn't do any special uploading, I just plugged it in and started transferring over GPX files to it.

WOOHOO!!! :laughing: Now I love my Dakota 10 even more!! Thanks so much for helping me out with this simple fix!! I knew there had to be a solution somehow :( Thanks soooo much!!!!

A few things about Field Notes:

1. After you log your find, press "Find Next Closest" or "Done". I noticed that if I don't do that on my Oregon 300, it doesn't actually generate the field notes entry.

2. Set your time zone correctly. I haven't checked, but a couple of months back there was a problem with Daylight Saving Time being ignored - I just set my time zone to GMT -7 instead of GMT -8 when DST is in effect.

3. The equivalent of "Write Note" (unattempted) doesn't seem to work (ignored by Groundspeak)

4. You're limited to 50 characters of text.

5. After you upload it, I recommend deleting it from the GPSr. Keeps it from getting too cluttered.

I love the Field Notes feature and always use it when I have more than 3 geocaches to log. Fewer than that, it's not worth the hassle of going through the upload process.