Windows XP? / Vista? / 7?

Fuzzywhip

I am currently running Windows XP Home Premium with the Garmin Communication Plug-in 2.6.1.0 installed for IE 7.0.5730.13. I use either a Garmin GPSMAP60CX or an eTrex Legend (early 8 Mb version.) Everything works properly, and I am able to D/L from GC.com straight to either GPSr.

I am looking to upgrade to either Vista Home Premium (I already own the upgrade DVD) or jump over that and upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium (it's the one I can afford.)

The question is ... which OS?

Vista has been out long enough that the early bugs have been worked out.

But Windows7 is lauded as sooooooo much better that Vista.

I would be interested to hear from cachers who use either OS and have the Garmin Coomunication Plug-in work properly with their Garmin GPSr.

Edited by Fuzzywhip

Well, penguinware is okay, but lacks support for many popular and useful programs. It's a nice hobby os.

But staying on the dark side I like the Win 7 Home premium I have on my desktop much more than the Vista I have on my laptop. If you have a palm PDA Win 7 presents some bumps, but there are ways around that. You going to be at Moses Lake? If so we can chat more if you want.

I am currently running Windows XP Home Premium with the Garmin Communication Plug-in 2.6.1.0 installed for IE 7.0.5730.13. I use either a Garmin GPSMAP60CX or an eTrex Legend (early 8 Mb version.) Everything works properly, and I am able to D/L from GC.com straight to either GPSr.

I am looking to upgrade to either Vista Home Premium (I already own the upgrade DVD) or jump over that and upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium (it's the one I can afford.)

The question is ... which OS?

Vista has been out long enough that the early bugs have been worked out.

But Windows7 is lauded as sooooooo much better that Vista.

I would be interested to hear from cachers who use either OS and have the Garmin Coomunication Plug-in work properly with their Garmin GPSr.

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx and I use IE. I have Vista on my desktop computer and Windows 7 on my laptop computer. I use GSAK and Mapsource on both. I have a PDA. I download data to the PDA from either of the computers with no problem. I have not had problems with either OS or with my GPS'r or PDA.

I run Windows 7 at home on both computers that I use with my Garmin. Both 64 and 32 bit. It runs without issues and I really like Windows 7. Way nicer than Vista and better than XP(which I still use at work). If you can upgrade to 7 then do so. There will be so much software that will not be able to work on XP coming out.

I run Windows 7 at home on both computers that I use with my Garmin. Both 64 and 32 bit. It runs without issues and I really like Windows 7. Way nicer than Vista and better than XP(which I still use at work). If you can upgrade to 7 then do so. There will be so much software that will not be able to work on XP coming out.

Run Vista on my laptop, and it's a huge memory hog. Thanks for the update on XP.

I've had XP on this desktop for 8 years now and going good.

I have Windows 7 on a laptop that I bought earlier this year and it has given me no reason to prefer it over XP.

There will be so much software that will not be able to work on XP coming out.

....and when I need a Windows 7 only app that will do something that I do not need to do now, but will in the future, I will then replace the XP with Windows 7.

Furthermore, it need not be a question of replacement. I have had a beta Windows 7 running on this PC alongside XP as I installed it on a second hard drive. I suggest that you might consider adding another hard drive for the Windows 7 OS and slowly transitioning by going back and forth until you feel totally comfortable.

The best choice will also depend on the computer (CPU & chipset) and how much performance you demand. XP doesn't take very good advantage of multi-core CPUs. Vista is substantially better at it but 7 does an outstanding job of it. My current desktop is an Intel 3450/Core i7 system and switching from Vista Ultimate x64 to 7 Ultimate x64 sped things up noticeably, and it was fast on Vista.

But I'm one of those computer enthusiasts who just can't seem to be satisfied with good enough, and with that in mind I don't necessarily suggest others do what I do. In fact, I don't normally recommend that people upgrade their OS unless they have a practical reason to do so, however if there is a practical reason then I don't see any valid reason not to go with Windows 7. My own progression through Windows included NT 3.1, '95, '98, XP, Vista, and now Windows 7 and 7 is definitely my favorite so far for a multitude of reasons.

In fact, I just put 7 Home on my Samsung NC10 Netbook and it's running better than it ever did with XP on it. I'll add that all of my software and hardware which ran on Vista also runs just fine on 7.

Pete

Edited by Curioddity

Vista and 7 are based on the same framework although 7 runs faster. Just have plenty of memory and a decently fast cpu. If you must, skip Vista and go for 7.

Linux is not a hobby OS. I use it daily as my main OS. I find it very confining to use Windows these days. With Linux I can set up multiple desktops and switch between them by rolling my mouse wheel. It runs fasters, uses less memory and its opensource. Saying "lacks support for many popular and useful programs" is bogus. If it will accomplish the same thing it does not matter. Anything you can do in Windows can be done in Linux for free.

If you have to have Windows you can always install Virtual Box and install Windows inside of Linux and have it run that way.

As I said, if you must use windows then go for 7. Just be prepared for some older programs not to work correctly. Even older hardware will not have drivers. Do some checking before upgrading to make sure all of your hardware will work.

Edited by JLS-AMP

Anything you can do in Windows can be done in Linux for free.

That's nonsense, plain and simple. As it pertains to -this- thread, how many support programs and drivers for today's generation of GPS units will run under Linux? Any of them? :D

I have a Linux drive in my tower and in all honesty, I'd love to be able to say goodbye to Windows if for no other reason than all the security issues, but there is no Linux software or drivers for any of my computer-controlled and/or synced consumer electronics devices. Not for my cell phone or my communications receiver or my R/C transmitters or my battery chargers or my data loggers and test instruments ... Oh, and not my Oregon 400t or my nuvi 500. Not any of 'em.

And that's the big problem with Linux right now: Using it as a primary OS is all about compromise. It does some things very well, but it currently doesn't offer support for way too many others.

Pete

The best choice will also depend on the computer (CPU & chipset) and how much performance you demand. XP doesn't take very good advantage of multi-core CPUs. Vista is substantially better at it but 7 does an outstanding job of it.

Pete

I am still using my computer that I built 6-7 years ago since I don't have the money to upgrade all the hardware. I put Windows 7 on it and it worked awesome. Computers are part of my job and I am going to school for Computer Science so I know a little about it. Anyone that does upgrade from XP will have to verify that their hardware will be compatible and that the OS will not bog down the system (ie, RAM memory). Other than that I find that Windows 7 is a great OS and I like it better than XP.