Travel Bug - Copyright ?

redregis

[ENGLISH - TRANSLATION]

Hi !

I'm french and I hope you understand me.

I would like to know if the principle of the "Bugs Travels" is Copyrighted ? I would like to create a similar, but free pricipe (not necessary to buy the metal plates).

Thank you to help me!

RedRegis

[FRANCAIS]

Salut !

Je voudrais savoir si le principe des "Travel Bugs" est Copyrighté ?

Je voudrais créer un pricipe similaire, mais gratuit (pas nécessaire d'acheter les plaques de métal).

Merci de m'aider !

RedRégis

A copyright applies to something you create. If you write a book or paint a picture, there's a copyright. Copyrights occur automatically in the US but can be registered to make enforcement easier. The design that appears on the bug tag could have a registered copyright but "Travel Bug" is just two words.

The term Travel Bug would be a trade mark. Trade marks have to be registered. In the US, we often have a logo with TM or R next to it, showing it's been registered.

I don't know if Groundspeak or Jeremy has a trade mark on "Travel Bug", as it applies to Geocaching but if you see TM or R they are saying they do.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Dragon:

The term Travel Bug would be a trade mark. Trade marks have to be registered. In the US, we often have a logo with TM or R next to it, showing it's been registered.

I don't know if Groundspeak or Jeremy has a trade mark on "Travel Bug", as it applies to Geocaching but if you see TM or R they are saying they do.

I think he was asking about the concept of travel bugs, which would have to be patented if one wanted to protect it. They probably couldn't have been patented even if Groundspeak had wanted to, as there was prior art.

If you want to know for sure, the US Patent & Trademark Office has a pretty good database online.

warm.gif

[ENGLISH - TRANSLATION]

My goal is to make a site which makes it possible to follow of "Traval Bugs" "nonofficial".

The latter will be free...

The question is: can I make a site which promouvoit a 'copy' of the "travels bugs"?

Some are likely to lose money...

I prefer to ensure myself before launching me... Thank you!

[FRANCAIS]

Mon but est de faire un site qui permette de suivre des "Traval Bugs" "non officiels".

Ces derniers seront gratuits...

La question est : est-ce que je peux faire un site qui promouvoit une 'copie' des "travel bugs" ?

Certains risquent de perdre de l'argent...

Je préfère m'assurer avant de me lancer...

Merci !

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

I think he was asking about the _concept_ of travel bugs, which would have to be patented if one wanted to protect it. They probably couldn't have been patented even if Groundspeak had wanted to, as there was prior art.

If you want to know for sure, the US Patent & Trademark Office has a pretty good database online.

http://216.202.195.127/warm.gif

[ENGLISH - TRANSLATION]

Yes! I think that your explanation is clearer...

And how Ca goes that: "US Obvious & Trademark Office"?

Where is that? How does that function?

Afflicted, but I French and am not accustomed to that...

Thank you!

[FRANCAIS]

Oui ! Je pense que ton explication est plus claire...

Et comment ca marche ça : "US Patent & Trademark Office" ?

Où cela se trouve ? Comment ça fonctionne ?

Désolé, mais je suis français et pas habitué à cela...

Merci !

I don't think the concept is protected by any patents. You might get some grief for using the phrase "travel bug", but there's nothing to stop you from making a web site that allows you to track things.

The one benefit of the Groundspeak system is that it's integrated into the website. It does come at a cost, but that's how free enterprise works. icon_smile.gif

quote:
I think he was asking about the concept of travel bugs, which would have to be patented if one wanted to protect it. They probably couldn't have been patented even if Groundspeak had wanted to, as there was prior art.

You can't patent an idea. The process to make a bug could be patented but not the way the bug looks. The process for the search engine could be patented but not the way the web page looks. The way something looks is trademarked.

Process for creation = patent

Look and feel = trademark

Original work = copyright

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

There are travellers out there without the travel bug tag. They travel from box to box with a note attached to them. They are free.

=======================

Il y a des voyageurs qui n'emploient pas l'étiquette achetée. Ils voyagent avec une note jointe à eux au lieu de l'étiquette en métal. Ils sont libres.

http://www.markwell.us

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com

Votre Francais est tres bien. Parlez-vous Francais?

Cache you later,

Planet

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.