GPX Waypoints File

TheBeast

If this is not the right place, please feel free to move this.

I am writing an application that reads in pocket queries and displays them on a map. I already have it parsing the gpx and wpts.gpx files. I want to be able to list the associated waypoints under their geocache, but I am at a loss as to how to link the waypoints with their geocaches as there seems to be no reference in either file to the other. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks!

the first two characters of the waypoint code is the prefix, the rest is the suffix. for example if you have a waypoint code of GCXXXX, then GC is the prefix and XXXX is the suffix.

the prefix tells you what kind of waypoint it is (GC = geocache), while the suffix is the same for all waypoints beloging to the same cache listing. using the example above, all waypoints for this particular cache listing would have a suffix of XXXX, so you could have THXXXX for trailhead, PKXXXX for parking and so on.

note that most prefixes are completely user defined and don't really tell you anything about their type directly, with a few exceptions such as "GC".

Edited by dfx