Inactive cachers and cache archival

Stuey

A multi-cache fairly near me has been neglected by its now inactive owner. A few Needs Maintenance and Needs Archived logs have been posted. I went out to check on the cache as I was one of very few finders last year. The final container is there, but it seems that a mid-stage micro may be missing. Some information boards were also missing, so I posted the missing information to allow people to make progress with it.

After the first Reviewer note was posted asking for the cache owner to check on the cache, I posted a message to say that the cache was there, yet as the cache owner had not checked that the cache was in place, the cache was archived a week after I posted my "the cache is there" note.

Now there is an archived cache listing page which no-one will see, and a cache container in place that no-one will find.

I know that the reviewer is only following procedures, but what do people think? What was the harm in keeping the cache page open? I was doing my best to keep the cache alive, but my efforts were ignored. Now it seems I'll have to retrieve the cache to remove the geolitter. I suppose I could create a traditional cache page using the archived cache location, but it's not somewhere that I want to check on regularly.

What do people think of this archival procedure?

If you don't want to set up a cache in the same place, just visit once, remove the container and recycle what you can. That way everyone is happy. You have done your own bit of CITO and someone else has the opportunity to place a cache there. Everything has been done by the book, the cache owner was given the opporunity to either maintain or archive and obviously hasn't responded. At least you should feel good in the knowledge that you have done your bit in making sure that what is effectively geolitter isn't left in situ.

A Couple of weeks ago a lot of people on here were saying that removing someone else's cache is theft...... and should be reported to the police.... I agree it's geolitter... but be careful it still belongs to the cache setter

True, but there is a difference here. The cache owner will obviously have been informed by a reviewer that the cache was being archived. They had been given sufficient time to either maintain or archive the cache themselves and it would seem that they haven't done so. Stuey could always email the owner and explain that he has removed the cache as it has been archived, keep it for a while and see if he gets any response or not. That way he hasn't committed any crime and I am sure would have Groundspeaks backing.

Hmmm.......I know what you mean, Stuey. There is a final cache about 10 miles from me still in-situ.....still nice and dry, with the intermediate micro's gone, but the cache owners no longer cache. I know them well, and have brought the situation up a few times in the past few years, but I know nowt will get done. I really should set a cache up, using it as a traditional, but to be honest, I haven't had the time lately to sort it. Maybe this thread has just given me the "oomph" to do it......all local cachers (to me, that is!).....watch this space!

If you're afraid that taking is will be seen as theft then remove it, take it to your local police station, hand it in as lost property, and ask that if nobody claims it you'd like to keep it for yourself.

You could even say what you'd done on the cache page so if the owner could be bothered they know where to go to retrieve it, and if they don't then once the police give it to you then you're free to go.

A Couple of weeks ago a lot of people on here were saying that removing someone else's cache is theft...... and should be reported to the police.... I agree it's geolitter... but be careful it still belongs to the cache setter

In the UK the legal meaning of theft is to to deprive the owner or the person with rightful possession of that property of its use. Since geocaching is about leaving things for others to find it would be safe to say that the contents are free for all to take. They have no owner. The only thing that the owner has claim on would be the container and the log. Aslong as you send the owner an email to say you have them and will return them i can't see any crime here. The owner has abandoned the cache.

Edited by Claudis192

As the cache was placed with permission maybe they have permission to leave it there..... The contents of the box are there to be swapped not taken...... if Groundspeak agreed with it's removal they would allow adoption ... they don't... they say the cache box belongs to the setter. Or it could be listed in another place

As I said in my first post I agree it's geolitter and should be removed ... all I was trying to say is be careful there were a lot of people on here who agreed that you should go to the police if someone took YOUR box

Edited by fuzzybears

Hmmm.......I know what you mean, Stuey. There is a final cache about 10 miles from me still in-situ.....still nice and dry, with the intermediate micro's gone, but the cache owners no longer cache. I know them well, and have brought the situation up a few times in the past few years, but I know nowt will get done. I really should set a cache up, using it as a traditional, but to be honest, I haven't had the time lately to sort it. Maybe this thread has just given me the "oomph" to do it......all local cachers (to me, that is!).....watch this space!

As you know the cache owners well, have you asked them whether you can adopt the cache from them? It sounds as though they've lost interest but they might be happy to hand the responsibility over to you. If you can get them to agree to this idea just make sure that they don't archive the cache first.

MrsB :laughing:

Re is it stealing to remove it?

It is only theft if you have intent to permanently deprive the owner of their possession, so taking the simple step of sending a mail to the owner or putting a note on the web page stating that you have the cache in safekeeping and they can contact you and you will return it; or even re-hiding it as a new cache and telling them where it is; would be enough to avoid any charges.

Back on topic.

Since GS stopped doing 'forced' adoptions I fear this is the only action open to the reviewers. Stuey, you said you didn't want to put another cache there as its not somewhere you would want to check regularly, so if it was allowed to remain would it be maintained? By archiving the cache, at least it opens up the area for a new cache which (hopefully) won't be another lame micro in a hedge (where did I put that can of worms smiley?), so it might turn out for the best in the long run.

I've said before that archiving of caches is geocaching's dark secret which most are happy to ignore. Delisting an abandoned cache doesn't do anything except create litter.

In many ways it's nothing to do with Groundspeak - it's the responsibility of the cache owner, however, it would be much better to have a system in place to clear up the mess from our hobby. The owner has obviously already failed in their responsibility, so it's not really acceptable to just delist it and either a) pretend that the owner will now go out and get the box, or :laughing: just ignore the issue as "we're just a cache listing site".

I think an answer would be for local cachers to volunteer to be part of a network available to the reviewers, so when they have to delist a box, they notify the network, and then 1 month, 3 months, 6 months? later someone then goes and picks up the box. If it's still there it's obviously been abandoned by the owner, so it's not theft.

Until some system is in place for clearing up abandoned caches, the claims of CITO ring rather hollow. We also need a CITOCO (cache in, trash out, cache out) option and there are plenty of local/regional caching groups who could be involved in this. With the vast increase in caches, and presumably a similar increase in abandoned caches, this is a problem that is getting worse.

It's not Groundspeaks job to clear up abandoned caches but I think they should enable a system so that the geocaching community can solve the problem - notifying volunteers in regional groups of a list of abandoned caches each month would allow the geolitter to be collected.

I've said before that archiving of caches is geocaching's dark secret which most are happy to ignore. Delisting an abandoned cache doesn't do anything except create litter.

In many ways it's nothing to do with Groundspeak - it's the responsibility of the cache owner, however, it would be much better to have a system in place to clear up the mess from our hobby. The owner has obviously already failed in their responsibility, so it's not really acceptable to just delist it and either a) pretend that the owner will now go out and get the box, or :( just ignore the issue as "we're just a cache listing site".

I think an answer would be for local cachers to volunteer to be part of a network available to the reviewers, so when they have to delist a box, they notify the network, and then 1 month, 3 months, 6 months? later someone then goes and picks up the box. If it's still there it's obviously been abandoned by the owner, so it's not theft.

Until some system is in place for clearing up abandoned caches, the claims of CITO ring rather hollow. We also need a CITOCO (cache in, trash out, cache out) option and there are plenty of local/regional caching groups who could be involved in this. With the vast increase in caches, and presumably a similar increase in abandoned caches, this is a problem that is getting worse.

It's not Groundspeaks job to clear up abandoned caches but I think they should enable a system so that the geocaching community can solve the problem - notifying volunteers in regional groups of a list of abandoned caches each month would allow the geolitter to be collected.

Well put, good idea so probably won't happen. I think most cachers are a responsible group of people who love and cherish this countries fast shrinking open spaces, so we should be doing more to get rid of the geo-litter. We should remove it wherever and whenever we come by it, if that means we get a visit from plod so what its hardly the crime of the century and they have got to prove you were the one that took it, if its been re-cycled how are they going to do that. :laughing:

In many ways it's nothing to do with Groundspeak - it's the responsibility of the cache owner, however, it would be much better to have a system in place to clear up the mess from our hobby. The owner has obviously already failed in their responsibility, so it's not really acceptable to just delist it and either a) pretend that the owner will now go out and get the box, or :laughing: just ignore the issue as "we're just a cache listing site".

Groundspeak's Volunteer Reviewers are representatives of Groundspeak. One of the reasons that Forced Adoptions were stopped, is for the very reason Groundspeak is simply a Listing Site. The ownership of the container and all legal responsibility relating to it remains the Owners. So as such Groundspeak can not encourage the uplifting and removal of any container, as that is the owners responsibility.

However that does not stop any UK Geocacher either on their own or possibly via GAGB of setting up a a Abandoned Geocache Container Uplifting and Storage network.

They would have to confirm that the container is not Actively Listed on any other Listing Service, and the container and contents would have to be retrievable by the Cache owner for a period of 3 months. The reasoning behind this, as the Police have confirmed that Geocaches are not abandoned they are not litter. So have to be treated as Lost Property, which means that the Owner has to be able to retrieve their property for a period of 3 months after recovery. A notification on the cache page, would act as Notification to the owner about who is needed to be contacted to arrange recovery of their property.

So does someone wish to take the idea forward? I'm sure the GAGB would be happy to allow discussion of such a project to take place on their forums.

I believe, though I might be wrong. That there is one Geocaching Organisation which runs a competition which awards points to those who go out and check Archived Caches, to insure that the container is uplifted. Points being awarded and prizes handed out, at the end of each year.

Geolitter is a issue for the local Geocaching Community to deal with. As at the end of the day, the negative impact it creates affects the local community, not Groundspeak. It is a issue that the local geocaching community needs to Police its self. Not try to pass over to others, as the community are the ones who created the issue. By placing and finding the caches, yet at the same time not being prepared to clean up after themselves.

Deci

Stuey, I've been in your shoes a few times. After giving the owner a while to pick up the container it doesn't seem wrong to me to put a note on the cache page to say you'll be collecting the box and recycling it and its contents for a fresh cache unless they contact you to request it back. I've done this myself with a few archived caches, including one that had been delisted for several years. I see it as the responsible thing to do to counter the geolitter issue, while avoiding being a thief, and it benefits caching by getting a new, active cache out there. Somewhere nice. With a fun hide. And a good sized box... :(

Edited to add you can't blame Groundspeak or their minions for abandoned boxes. Their hands are tied by pretty universal rules of ownership. The absentee owner is the one at fault but then cachers can have very genuine reasons for not collecting boxes. Illness and death spring to mind :laughing:

Edited by Simply Paul

Groundspeak's Volunteer Reviewers are representatives of Groundspeak. One of the reasons that Forced Adoptions were stopped, is for the very reason Groundspeak is simply a Listing Site. The ownership of the container and all legal responsibility relating to it remains the Owners. So as such Groundspeak can not encourage the uplifting and removal of any container, as that is the owners responsibility.

However that does not stop any UK Geocacher either on their own or possibly via GAGB of setting up a a Abandoned Geocache Container Uplifting and Storage network.

They would have to confirm that the container is not Actively Listed on any other Listing Service, and the container and contents would have to be retrievable by the Cache owner for a period of 3 months. The reasoning behind this, as the Police have confirmed that Geocaches are not abandoned they are not litter. So have to be treated as Lost Property, which means that the Owner has to be able to retrieve their property for a period of 3 months after recovery. A notification on the cache page, would act as Notification to the owner about who is needed to be contacted to arrange recovery of their property.

So does someone wish to take the idea forward? I'm sure the GAGB would be happy to allow discussion of such a project to take place on their forums.

I believe, though I might be wrong. That there is one Geocaching Organisation which runs a competition which awards points to those who go out and check Archived Caches, to insure that the container is uplifted. Points being awarded and prizes handed out, at the end of each year.

Geolitter is a issue for the local Geocaching Community to deal with. As at the end of the day, the negative impact it creates affects the local community, not Groundspeak. It is a issue that the local geocaching community needs to Police its self. Not try to pass over to others, as the community are the ones who created the issue. By placing and finding the caches, yet at the same time not being prepared to clean up after themselves.

Deci

To try and make an easier issue of this.

If GS had a list of archived caches available on GC.com, we ( the Cachers )could check them as we pass by, see what the issues are and take the necessary steps to either adopt or clean or even replace. But simply taking the listing off the site would make this next to impossible to achieve.

I realise that caches could be listed and still active on other sights but we could make a note in the log book to advise other interested parties of the intent.

Then after a period of time the cache could be dealt with appropriately.

At least some would be able to be rescued.

Sent from a pc

Edited by burtsbodgers

Deci wrote:

I wrote:

Yes, it's 'our' issue but I don't think Groundspeak can entirely look the other way - corporate social and ethical responsibility and all that! :laughing:. I think the key bit that Groundspeak need to get involved in is providing information. How is anyone supposed to know that a cache has been archived due to abandonment unless reviewers make a list and tell someone? I've spotted abandonment on a couple of local caches in the past, and acted: GC18FYX but unless I'm watching a cache I won't know it's been archived, especially if it's one I've found.

Information is needed for people to act. Groundspeak have the information: QED.

(If there's some other way of doing it, fine, but I don't know what that would be.)

. Delisting an abandoned cache doesn't do anything except create litter.

- notifying volunteers in regional groups of a list of abandoned caches each month would allow the geolitter to be collected.

I would be happy to help tidy up some old cache containners if this idea is adopted, a simple email from the local reviewer or from GAGB maybe an idea. I hate the thought of Geolitter.

Yorkie30 [:laughing:]

The problems with producing a 'pick-up' list based on GC.com's archived listings include: i) Caches listed elsewhere ii) Cache listing A is archived, cache listing B replaces it, cacher picks up cache B thinking it's A iii) Puzzles/Multis where you need to follow a (partly/totally missing?) trail to get the final iv) If, on archiving, the various co-ords -including any that were hidden, including the final - are shown on the cache page (newer caches only. Old 'Pre-Waypoint' caches won't) then this could act as spoilers for other near-by caches if they use similar features/POIs.

Groundspeak do seem a little over-zealous with this. I'd have thought that it was better overall to wait until the cache appears to be no longer viable, i.e. the geolitter has been collected. Until then, it's still a findable cache, even though it might "need maintenance".

There are some active caches out there that are actually archived on geocaching.com, so I'd advise caution with retrieving them. I've found a few and they were perfectly OK, but finds were rare and you could mistake one or two for abandoned caches. There are websites other than the most well-known three, and sometimes cachers have reasons for keeping the cache going but with restricted listing.

The only time you can be sure it's geolitter is when you've had an assurance from the cache owner that it's abandoned.

Amusingly, one of mine was threatened with archival on the basis of a string of DNFs, which doesn't seem to be a very good process as the cache was very much in place (and is still attracting lots of DNF logs!). But I suppose that most caches would at least need checking in those circumstances. Mine is a bit unusual as it's 5* difficulty but seems to be attempted (and failed on) regularly.

Re is it stealing to remove it?

It is only theft if you have intent to permanently deprive the owner of their possession, so taking the simple step of sending a mail to the owner or putting a note on the web page stating that you have the cache in safekeeping and they can contact you and you will return it; or even re-hiding it as a new cache and telling them where it is; would be enough to avoid any charges.

It's not as easy as that. You can still commit theft by assuming the rights of the owner. There also has to be an element of dishonesty though. What you suggest re the e-mail and note on the cache page would go a step towards showing there was no dishonest intent.

Edited by Nick & Ali
The only time you can be sure it's geolitter is when you've had an assurance from the cache owner that it's abandoned.

True, they do this though by having a six month string of Needs Maintenance logs, loads of 'its wet' logs, eventually a Needs Archiving log, followed later by a reviewer note asking for action or at least a response. If through all of that there is no reply or sign of life, inc an account that's not logged on for months and months, then I'd say it's easy enough to know they have abandoned it.

In the above circumstances, listing on another site isn't much of a problem cos it isn't being maintained on that one either! Do everyone a favour and remove the pile of saggy horribleness! :laughing:

Yes, there are some issues about checking that it really has been abandoned etc, but not too hard to do, and all the owner has to do is respond to an email or cache note. Locals would have a much better feel for the situation anyway. I would see this approach only for those caches that the owners have disappeared and no response is forthcoming over months. Normal archiving is still down to active players to remove their box, but maybe if it's checked 6 months later and it's still there, remind them with an email.

Don't know all the details but sure it could be worked out, especially for those clearly abandoned and wet soggy messes. Definitely something that GAGB might be good for co-ordinating I would think.

Groundspeak do seem a little over-zealous with this. I'd have thought that it was better overall to wait until the cache appears to be no longer viable, i.e. the geolitter has been collected. Until then, it's still a findable cache, even though it might "need maintenance".

That is the crux of it I think. A cache shouldn't be archived if someone reports it is in place, either by people finding it, or by a previous finder checking it. The 'theft' issue that has been raised earlier hadn't even crossed my mind, and I don't really think it is a problem. I'll probably retrieve the cache and re-use it elsewhere, but I wish it could be left in place and found by cachers.

That is the crux of it I think. A cache shouldn't be archived if someone reports it is in place, either by people finding it, or by a previous finder checking it. The 'theft' issue that has been raised earlier hadn't even crossed my mind, and I don't really think it is a problem. I'll probably retrieve the cache and re-use it elsewhere, but I wish it could be left in place and found by cachers.

If a cache has been archived by a reviewer for non-maintenance is there anything to stop another cacher from relisting it, if they just head out and fix up the container?

If a cache has been archived by a reviewer for non-maintenance is there anything to stop another cacher from relisting it, if they just head out and fix up the container?

from a strictly listing point of view no, but technically the container still belongs to the original CO and so they would be entitled to go out there and collect it.

from a strictly listing point of view no, but technically the container still belongs to the original CO and so they would be entitled to go out there and collect it.

True, but since there's nothing to prevent anyone loading the coordinates into a GPS and taking the box away this doesn't seem like a very significant problem. After all, if they wanted it back they could already have gone to get it.

Admittedly it would mean they could take the box away without it being considered stealing but if they haven't maintained their cache to the point it got archived it seems unlikely they actually would.

But you have the possible issue of the original owner thinking "Ah, that cache I've been meaning to sort out for the last year, I'll go and pick it up today"...

A cache shouldn't be archived if someone reports it is in place, either by people finding it, or by a previous finder checking it.
My own belief is that every cache should have an active, enthusiastic owner. Maybe long ago when there weren't many caches around we may have needed to keep every one that we could, but that no longer applies.

If you want this cache to continue, set an identical replacement yourself. If, as stated, you can't maintain your own cache in that location, you can't reasonably expect to maintain someone else's.

If it isn't listed on OpenCaching, TerraCaching or NaviCache then it's highly unlikely to be listed anywhere else. I can check those sites for you. However, while it would require further checking, by itself I wouldn't take a listing there to indicate the cache is still active - if the owner has cross listed a cache and then abandoned the hobby he is no more likely to have archived the cache on those sites than he is on Groundspeak.

I see no problem with reusing the container if you create a new cache, it's highly unlikely the owner will come to remove the cache, if they do then you can just replace it with one of your own. If you don't want to set up your own, I see no problem with lifting it and keeping it for 3 months. In both cases I agree that you should email the owner and put on the old cache page what you've done.

Rgds, Andy

There's obviously one or two reasons why a cache might be abandoned. Usually, it's presumably because the COs have got bored with the game (could this be possible?! :D ) and have found something more boring to liven up their lives. But it could also be that they've changed e-mail addresses, during that period of not caching and forgotten to update things on here. And of course, some do unfortunately die.

Although I have various caching buddies, I think if anything happened to me, I'd perhaps get a few e-mails and calls but no-one would know I wasn't around any more and therefore be none the wiser (probably think I'd just become very antisocial!). With 34 caches out there, that's a lot of plastic.

So if no-one hears from me for 6 months(!), please adopt away.

There - a Living Geowill - the first?

:D

There's obviously one or two reasons why a cache might be abandoned. Usually, it's presumably because the COs have got bored with the game (could this be possible?! :D ) and have found something more boring to liven up their lives. But it could also be that they've changed e-mail addresses, during that period of not caching and forgotten to update things on here. And of course, some do unfortunately die.

Although I have various caching buddies, I think if anything happened to me, I'd perhaps get a few e-mails and calls but no-one would know I wasn't around any more and therefore be none the wiser (probably think I'd just become very antisocial!). With 34 caches out there, that's a lot of plastic.

Can I have your car :D

:ph34r:

Can I have your car :anicute:

You assume I have a car...!

But you have the possible issue of the original owner thinking "Ah, that cache I've been meaning to sort out for the last year, I'll go and pick it up today"...

Yes, but I suspect the number of times that would happen would be trivial compared to the possible issue of teenager gathering to drink their White Lightning, finding a box in the woods and thinking "what idiot left that here, it would look so much better floating down the river".

Yes, but I suspect the number of times that would happen would be trivial compared to the possible issue of teenager gathering to drink their White Lightning, finding a box in the woods and thinking "what idiot left that here, it would look so much better floating down the river".

Ah... then it would become a travelling cache which is no longer allowed under the guidelines so we'd probably archive it anyway :anicute:

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Ah... then it would become a travelling cache which is no longer allowed under the guidelines so we'd probably archive it anyway :anibad:

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Only if someone found it and posted a Found log with updated coordinates 50 miles away along the river <_<:D

As you know the cache owners well, have you asked them whether you can adopt the cache from them? It sounds as though they've lost interest but they might be happy to hand the responsibility over to you. If you can get them to agree to this idea just make sure that they don't archive the cache first.

MrsB <_<

Sorry for the late reply, MrsB.

It has been archived, long time ago, but the final is still in-situ. The best thing to do is to make a new listing for it as a trad. It's in a nice area, and there are other caches there, so with the right permission.......who knows!