Top tips for playing Wherigo

TheHarvesters

I have only one cart but is has been successfully completed 60 times (at the time of writing).

As you might expect some players have had issues, but most got through first time. A few had to return.

Each time there was an issue I sought feedback, and that resulted in some changes to the cart, some advices on the cache page.

Here are my top 5 tips for a good Wherigo experience (note mostly based on Garmin experience):

1.SAVE YOUR GAME AS YOU GO! This is most important - it enables you to restart. In the cart I built I created a 'memory ball' item that makes saving easier for the player, and a part of the game. Save as you move between zones.

2. If for some reason your device crashes, I thoroughly recommend actually taking the batteries out and replacing them before starting again and restoring your last saved game.

3. Take some spare batteries, in case they run down faster than you'd thought they would.

4. When navigating to a zone the arrow can be a good guide, but trust the numbers counting down. They are most accurate.

5. If you have trouble closing in on a zone, then try moving a few meters or feet away and then move quickly toward the zone. That should help to trigger it.

These advices are now on my cache page for players to consider in the field.

Do you have further advices from your experiences?

cheers,

Paul.

i would change rules 4/5 to this:

Remember that a zone is not a geocache and you don't need to "zero in" on it. In fact, if you stop right at the zero distance, you will end up on the zone border, not fully inside and not fully outside. Instead, walk freely. Just follow the general direction of the arrow and stop only when the device tells you that you are "here". Usually, zones are big enough that you don't have to worry about missing them.

i would change rules 4/5 to this:

Remember that a zone is not a geocache and you don't need to "zero in" on it. In fact, if you stop right at the zero distance, you will end up on the zone border, not fully inside and not fully outside. Instead, walk freely. Just follow the general direction of the arrow and stop only when the device tells you that you are "here". Usually, zones are big enough that you don't have to worry about missing them.

I wondered if this experience was a feature of my cart building, in that I have seen in Ranger Fox's tutorial vid that he advises using the proximity entry instead of zone entry to trigger thge zone event. Several of my players have complained of having to wander about a bit to get zones to trigger when in fact they are quite large.

well, this is the eternal Wherigo question: are Garmin devices really broken and don't work with zone shapes, or is it the people who play that are doing it wrong?

i'm a strong advocate for the latter (and i have yet to be proven wrong), RangerFox carefully works with the assumption of the former. the proximity approach sidesteps the whole problem quite neatly, at the expense of certain level of control over the game experience

basically it's like this: when you tell people to stop at zero, you're telling them the wrong thing to do. and if you want your cartridge to be foolproof, use RangerFox's proximity solution. these two advices are not in conflict.

Edited by matejcik