Bummed out 7yr old

tuts12502

I know this has been addressed before and I know the point of Geo Caching isn't the actual "treasure" inside but why in the world do people put in pokemon cards and just plain trash????? I am a newbie but still I know not to take anything if I don't have anything good to replace it. It's frusterating for my daughter (7) who is totally into "treasure hunting" as she calls it. And she has a bag of goodies we bring with as items for trade but 90% of the time there is nothing worth taking. I encourage her to just leave something anyways but it's such a bummer for her. I thought we were Minnesota nice here :)

Edited by tuts12502

I don't know why people put in trash instead of trading even or trading up. I understand that there are those types in every crowd, but it seems like this happens all the time, so that makes me sad to see.

One thing that you can try to do, is to go to newer caches. The newer they are, the more likely the swag will still be decent.

tut,

You can read cache degradation in the logs sometimes.

"Thanks for the new, great cache! Lots of goodies! Traded handcranked flashlight for some vintage army men my son had."

Cracks me up. That's why I don't trade coins or swag. Just hunt and enjoy the locations. Maybe your little one will learn to like that aspect.

tut,

You can read cache degradation in the logs sometimes.

"Thanks for the new, great cache! Lots of goodies! Traded handcranked flashlight for some vintage army men my son had."

Cracks me up. That's why I don't trade coins or swag. Just hunt and enjoy the locations. Maybe your little one will learn to like that aspect.

Thats better than a lot of trades I've seen. Took flashlight left chewing gum is more like it.

We did a puzzle cache and when we got to the small lock-n-lock that was the final cache there were no trade items (at least it was clean, no trash either). We left a decent fireman action figure for the next kid that comes along. Three months later (last week) we were teaching some friends about geocaching and were in that park so we showed them that cache. Only about 5 people had logged since us, but there was nothing in the cache other than the log. At least it is still clean. But it IS sad when people take the items and don't replace them.

Edited by thistleRacers

I know this has been addressed before and I know the point of Geo Caching isn't the actual "treasure" inside but why in the world do people put in pokemon cards and just plain trash????? I am a newbie but still I know not to take anything if I don't have anything good to replace it. It's frusterating for my daughter (7) who is totally into "treasure hunting" as she calls it. And she has a bag of goodies we bring with as items for trade but 90% of the time there is nothing worth taking. I encourage her to just leave something anyways but it's such a bummer for her. I thought we were Minnesota nice here :(

My kids like the "treasure" too, but my 11yo daughter would be overjoyed to find Pokémon cards! One man's trash .... :laughing:

Search for New/Newer Caches!

Since nobody (I hope) initially stocks their new caches with junk, searching these out should increase your chance of finding nice, clean swag.

It will also increase the distance you have to drive.

You can scroll through the listings to find recently published caches.

This search is much, much easier if you are a premium member. You can actually search for caches placed during the last few days, weeks, whatever.

As a premium member, you can also have instant alerts sent to your email, or even your cellphone, whenever a new cache is published.

In the few caches that I have found, the ones that require you to hike a little usually have better stuff in them. I've run across some that were full of cool stuff for kids. It's kind of funny with me, I don't really want what is in the caches but I love to see what is there.

I hope your daughter doesn't get too discouraged. When you run across a cache that doesn't have any 'treasure', add some, and let your daughter know that she is leaving something for the next Geocacher. Hopefully that will encourage her.

Most of the good caches that I have seen have lots of stuff for kids. That is great, I think that good swag means more to kids that us adults. But, I had an odd idea the other day, drop a good paperback book (in a ziplock bag) in the ammo can caches that are full of kid stuff so that us older folks can find some good treasure too.

I am going to be sure and bring plenty of swag that kids would like so when I run across caches without much 'treasure' I can help restock. Just thinking about children with happy faces is enough incentive for me.

Edited by u.rusty

Based on your finds I think I see one of the problems (unless you don't log online often). One of the problems is that you are appearing to search overwhelmingly for micros.

I find a lot fun swag in Minnesota. I brought kids with me and they found swag they valued as well. But I was very careful to explain to the kids I had with that the game is to find something not necessarily find something to take. That increased their enjoyment of the game exponentially. They found great joy in finding the cache from that point on.

Personally when I leave swag in caches it's not for the enjoyment for youngens in particular just who ever happens to pass by. And I don't stock a cache I find because I think a child might find it.

Search for New/Newer Caches!

Since nobody (I hope) initially stocks their new caches with junk, searching these out should increase your chance of finding nice, clean swag.

It will also increase the distance you have to drive.

You can scroll through the listings to find recently published caches.

This search is much, much easier if you are a premium member. You can actually search for caches placed during the last few days, weeks, whatever.

As a premium member, you can also have instant alerts sent to your email, or even your cellphone, whenever a new cache is published.

You'd be mistaken.

"Found a steel water bottle on the ground and picked it up, shook it, nothing rattled, so I then carried it as I continued to search for the cache. Just as I was about to give up, I opened the water bottle and go figure, a rolled up piece of paper was inside, that said "Stay Frosty!" I couldn't believe it, I had it literally in my hand the entire time. It looked as though cache placer just "tossed" it in the woods. Of course the cache didn't have a pen, so I had to go back out, and get a pen. Since the cache was blatantly lying on the ground, I replaced it a few feet from where I found it, and put it in a safe spot. Didn't quite understand the title....."

A log on one of my caches (It was a creative hide, It was big enough for swag but I don't consider it part of MY sport, the way I play it personally.

Well, I was out running errands today and couldn't help but thinking of this thread. So, I stopped at the 99 cent store and got some swag.

tuts12502, I would appriciate your daughter's opinion. This may not be the best stuff, but I would like to know what she would accept as treasure.

Swag.jpg

Well, I was out running errands today and couldn't help but thinking of this thread. So, I stopped at the 99 cent store and got some swag.

tuts12502, I would appriciate your daughter's opinion. This may not be the best stuff, but I would like to know what she would accept as treasure.

Swag.jpg

wow! those are beyond cool for kid swag! She would love any of that stuff. I hope people don't think I'm just here to say "put more kid stuff in" I just want people to not leave trash.

Swag.jpg

wow! those are beyond cool for kid swag! She would love any of that stuff. I hope people don't think I'm just here to say "put more kid stuff in" I just want people to not leave trash. She was pretty stoked to get a golf ball today in one. lol

Since I'm still just doing my reading and research here (0/0 for us!) I would not even THINK of putting actual trash or "crud" (bottle caps, etc) into a cache. If anything, I would (personally) want to take the trash out and add swag to someone else's cache. Kind of a "Johnny Appleseed" theorem.

I'm 42 years old. There is little that I could find (minus the keys to a new 4x4 with coordinates of the car tagged on them, heh) that would get me excited. My wife however is a 5th grade teacher, and she knows all too well, for kids, it's all about the goodies.

When we went to the dollar store the other day for the wife to shop for stuff for the kids "prize box" at school, and all I could do was look around and think, "Dayum, this is the ULTIMATE swag store!"

I can say this though, once we track down a few caches, and start to hide our own, I hope that children DO find ours, because we plan on stocking them up with "good stuff" for young and old alike. :anicute:

Swag.jpg

wow! those are beyond cool for kid swag! She would love any of that stuff. I hope people don't think I'm just here to say "put more kid stuff in" I just want people to not leave trash.

If she found any of that stuff what would she trade?

Well, I'm still new at the game and still learning, but when I run across a cache that doesn't have any, or much kid stuff, I'm going to add some. Also, when I run across a cache that is full of kid stuff I may add good paperback for those of us that are older. At the very least, if I find something I would like to trade for I'll have a selection of swag to leave.

Edited by u.rusty

Not that a 7 year old would enjoy this, but in each cache (regardless if we take anything or not, also depending on size) we put in a special little good luck charm. The local craft store was selling pewter charms (for jewelry making) 50% off, so I spent like $10 and bought a whole ton of them (some came 10 to a pack) and I put them each into little tiny baggies with a tag that says: A Good Luck Charm From JasNBex. It was super cheap to do, somewhat of a "personalized" item and we have a whole bunch to add to all the caches we find. If we trade for something, usually another personalized item (we have a small collection started) or a themed item that will go into one of several caches of our own that we are getting ready to hide. I have gone to the Dollar Store (love that place! :anicute: ) and bought some little items that any aged person would enjoy. I bought several antibacterial hand gels at Bath and Body Works (when they were less than $1 each) as well as found some cute little compass toys at a party store. It's fun shopping for swag to go in caches. You can find tons cheaply too. Also try going to the thrift store. Usually they have "grab bags" of little tiny toys that would work perfectly in caches.

Just thought I would share a bit on this topic.

my daughter loves shopping for swag ready for when she goes geocaching. She has her own swag bag that contains all sorts of things including, miniature pens and pencils, erasers, pencil sharpeners, bracelets, mini notepads, mini highlighters, small animal statues and marbles. She also leaves gogo's in some smaller caches. She has hundreds of them and has stopped collecting them so she wants to pass them on to other children.

Haha we recently came across a cache that had a really great keyring in (which my 8 year old daughter traded).

And, I kid you not, a fuse. As in for a plug!!!

And belive it or not my 6 year old nephew who we were also with traded that! he was delighted!!

I don't even know if the fuse works or not!!!

Most of the good caches that I have seen have lots of stuff for kids. That is great, I think that good swag means more to kids that us adults. But, I had an odd idea the other day, drop a good paperback book (in a ziplock bag) in the ammo can caches that are full of kid stuff so that us older folks can find some good treasure too.

i actually saw a book in a geocache the other day. i thought t was a pretty good idea too. :blink:

I also cache with a seven-year-old and have also encountered some wet or boring cache finds. On a semi-regular basis, I visit the dollar store to replenish our swag bag and make it my mission to improve the content of the poorly-stocked caches we find.

Katherine (daughter) has her own little swag bag that she trades from, but if the cache is soggy, poorly-stocked or a micro, she is allowed to trade from MY swag bag instead of the cache. This keeps her happy, lets us both enjoy the find (if it's not found, there are no trades at all) and generally preserves family morale.

Have fun hunting!!

Cheers!

Vicky

We always leave Geocaching decals just to add things. At first the boys (6 and 8) loved the "treasures" but after so many filled with junk they just hunt for the pleasure of finding them. We try to keep the caching bag filled with decals and good swag to refurnish caches. .... There is noting better than seeing the look on a kids face when you fined one filled with good swag!!! Especially if its some kid that's never been

I think it's a case of setting your little one's expectations, or her setting her own over time. My boys seem to have learnt from experience to view good swag as a bonus rather than a given - finding the cache is the fun bit, and if it doesn't have much in it, they put extra in for the next kids to come along.

They would both definitely view Pokemon cards as good swag, by the way! ;)

The main thing they get really excited about nowadays is moving on travel bugs etc. Or really clever hides that they haven't seen before.

As a new geocacher, I wasn't sure what I'd find (although two of my first finds were micros so I knew I would only sign the log.) I went to a camping/fishing store and found some carabiners and small LED keyring flashlight that would fit in small caches. I then went to Walmart and found some small tubs of Paydough (SP?) and yellow ping-pong balls with smiley faces on them. I don't really care what I find in the caches (and I don't have any children with me), but I like to leave something that someone else would like.