Missing TB Rant

GeoBroke

Why do people take a TB from a cache and not move them along? I can see some people "collecting" coins, but just a plain old TB dog tag, come on people. ;)

Have had one Jeep TB fall victim to an Archived Cache (why not place contents into another cache?) And one TB placed in a new cache only never to be seen again.

Since I just had the experience of wondering why my bug had not moved I sent an email to the cacher that last picked it up. Why it did not get moved was because the cacher suffered a serious back injury and delivering tb's to a new cache just has to wait for their health to improve. I was glad that I decided to contact this person because now I will be much more patient to see my tb move when the cacher is well enough to do this. It will be a more joyeous event because I will know the cacher is doing much better.

One of mine was in a cache that disappeared.

Another of mine languished in germany for a long time, and turned up missing eventually.

My third, most recent tb got picked up about a month after it was dropped...and has been held by that cacher for about 9mo now. E-mails to the cacher have gone unanswered (and it appears the cacher hasn't participated regularly for quite some time).

I still have TB tags I'd like to release...but I don't wanna release them if people aren't going to: 1 - actually move them according to their mission, rather than just keeping them local and 2 - put them into a cache when they pick them up.

I understand extenuating circumstances. I had a geocoin in my possession when I got cancer, and I forgot entirely about caching for about a year. but at least answer an e-mail.

seen it all, decided i'm done with releasing TB's

i had TB's that never made it further than the first cache i dropped it in, most annoying of all is that i have now two TB's that along the way the original trinket has been swapped with something else

i guess someone really liked the Inukshuk on one of them and on the other they figured they can use the bison tube to make a cache out of it

coins? i'm not even going there

Ive quit worrying about mine. Love looking at the logs when they come in and we keep an eye on the mileage they have done - but TB's go missing - it is part of owning them (unfortunately). I will not be releasing any more - and i intend to keep any GC's i buy in a personal collection rather than release them. Hopefully yours will be back in circulation soon.

As a relatively new geocacher, it saddens me to see people give up on releasing TBs and coins because moving trackables along is a huge part of the fun for me. I totally understand though. I just released my first TB today after hanging onto it for about 4 months for fear of it going missing. But I finally decided to just suck it up and let it go. It's still so sad that there are so many rude people out there who think it's ok to steal these items and ruin, or at least compromise, the fun for the rest of us. :laughing:

My third, most recent tb got picked up about a month after it was dropped...and has been held by that cacher for about 9mo now. E-mails to the cacher have gone unanswered (and it appears the cacher hasn't participated regularly for quite some time).

I can definitely sympathize, but just recently had a little resurgence of hope in trackables. Someone picked up a coin of mine in the very first cache that they logged. Some time passes... and they placed it into the second cache they found... 19 months later.

Another coin was dropped into its very first cache, and disappeared in a couple of days. It has just resurfaced about 6 months later, after being found in the bottom of the cacher's bag. They never logged the retrieval, and couldn't drop it, but it's back in the game now (crossing fingers )

So, don't give up completely :laughing:

Why do people take a TB from a cache and not move them along? I can see some people "collecting" coins, but just a plain old TB dog tag, come on people. :anicute:

Have had one Jeep TB fall victim to an Archived Cache (why not place contents into another cache?) And one TB placed in a new cache only never to be seen again.

Sad to say, the mortality rate of trackables is very high - since becoming a member I have lost 4 out of 7 launched - I don't plan on launching any more. Between vandalized caches and thoughtless cachers, it seems a TB's life expectancy isn't very long. When I see some of the coins and bugs that have logged tens of thousands of miles, I think they have experienced incredible luck. Too bad, it is a great concept, but like so many things, has been all but destroyed by a simple lack of respect for other people.

As a relatively new geocacher, it saddens me to see people give up on releasing TBs and coins because moving trackables along is a huge part of the fun for me. I totally understand though. I just released my first TB today after hanging onto it for about 4 months for fear of it going missing. But I finally decided to just suck it up and let it go. It's still so sad that there are so many rude people out there who think it's ok to steal these items and ruin, or at least compromise, the fun for the rest of us. :P

My first tb went missing before it even made out of the frist cache. I was told that all the tbs in local caches have gone missing (nicer way for saying stolen). I don't understand the concept of collecting something that means so much to other cachers.