A bug was logged found before i logged the drop.

Harrald

How do I reacquire possession of a bug that was grabbed and logged before I had a chance to log the dropping of it? I recently dropped this HorseShoe Travel Bug and would like to drop it properly. Thanks for any ideas you may have.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

Email the person who picked it up, tell them you need to take temporary possession inorder to dropit off. The logs are arranged cronologically (sp) so if you drop it off 1 day earlier, it will show correctly. Then the other person can put it back in their possession.

Harrald,

You can simply pick it up again and relog it if you remember the bugs number.

Two of the negatives to this are that it may mess up the bugs' mileage, and also, the person that currently has the bug must log that they've picked up the bug a second time.

Jamie

A similar thing happened to my bug (The Dowel-ly Llama). Someone dropped it in Alaska and someone else picked it up before the original droppers could get back to the lower 48 and log it. From this thread it looks like I need to contact both parties. Currently, its showing on the map as being in South Carolina, but its actually somewhere in Alaska. This looks to be a common problem. Any way to have the tracking system figure this out? Its very exciting to track the bugs, but it seems like it requires a lot of manual intervention to keep it straight.

Perhaps this is something that can be coded into the site.

Right now, this looks like it is just a person-to-person bug transfer. If that happens, the bug-logging page could put up a message like:

"It looks like you're logging in a bug that is currently in somebody's possession and not in a cache. If this is the case, please continue. If you picked up this bug from a cache, the person who placed it there may not have logged that they have dropped it yet. Please allow some time for this to happen, or send a message to the previous bug-holder to see why it hasn't been logged yet."

This won't prevent this situation from happening, but at least it may help to alert the bug-finder that something's up with that bug.

icon_wigogeocaching.gif

There should be a better way, I have had it happen to me, except the I was the one who logged it before the person who dropped it. I wasn't sure if it was a lost bug the had just turned up, or how it got there, since it the cache was not logged as having a bug, I wasn't expecting to find one. The person dropping it logged it the next day as being dropped one day earlier, so it worked out.

If you aqre truely worried about it happening. Then here is an idea. Log it as dropped in the cache you are on your way to visit. It won't be there yet but the log will be right. The down side is if someone sees it logged and gets there before you do, he will be left either waiting for you or just wondering if he wasn't fast enough icon_wink.gif.

[:(]

If you aqre truely worried about it happening. Then here is an idea. Log it as dropped in the cache you are on your way to visit. It won't be there yet but the log will be right. The down side is if someone sees it logged and gets there before you do, he will be left either waiting for you or just wondering if he wasn't fast enough icon_wink.gif.

[:(]

Logging it "dropped" before I dropped it was not possible. We took the bug on vacation with us.

I thought that by logging in the book that I wouldn't be able to log the drop for 6 days would be enough. I was wrong. The person who found it even mentioned that they read the entry and knew I couldn't log the drop. While on vacation I even found a local library to log it. This was 3 days after I dropped it and it was still to late.

I just let the person who found it continue on with it as if nothing happened. It wasn't something I wanted to bother the powers that be about.

All it did was make the distance a bit funny. Lucky for me the owners of the bug didn't really mind. They seemed very cool about the whole thing

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

I found a bug in a cache that it hadn't been logged into yet, so what I did was, instead of entering my log, I emailed the person who's possession it was currently in, asking if they had visited the cache, and if they would soon be logging the bug as placed there, so I could log my retrieval without messing up its mileage.

The person replied very quickly, and had the bug's log updated so that I could record my retrevial. It all went very smoothly and painlessly. icon_smile.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

I found a bug in a cache that it hadn't been logged into yet, so what I did was, instead of entering my log, I emailed the person who's possession it was currently in, asking if they had visited the cache, and if they would soon be logging the bug as placed there, so I could log my retrieval without messing up its mileage.

The person replied very quickly, and had the bug's log updated so that I could record my retrevial. It all went very smoothly and painlessly. icon_smile.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Da Batt Man:

... Log it as dropped in the cache you are on your way to visit. It won't be there yet but the log will be right. The down side is if someone sees it logged and gets there before you do, he will be left either waiting for you or just wondering if he wasn't fast enough icon_wink.gif.

Several times, I've started on the way to a cache expecting to leave a travel bug only to discover that:

1. The cache container was too small

2. The cache container was too full

3. The cache location did not seem adequately secure.

4. I just didn't enjoy that particular "cache experience."

quote:
Originally posted by Da Batt Man:

... Log it as dropped in the cache you are on your way to visit. It won't be there yet but the log will be right. The down side is if someone sees it logged and gets there before you do, he will be left either waiting for you or just wondering if he wasn't fast enough icon_wink.gif.

Several times, I've started on the way to a cache expecting to leave a travel bug only to discover that:

1. The cache container was too small

2. The cache container was too full

3. The cache location did not seem adequately secure.

4. I just didn't enjoy that particular "cache experience."

I agree that people logging 'Surprise' bugs should at least make some attempt to contact the last known holder of the bug or at least wait a little bit to give a person a chance to drop the bug. I would even like the idea of the alert on the website reminding people to give this courtesy.

On a recent weekend caching trip , I dropped off a TB (Clean the World #2) (TB3ADA) at RR Gone Bye-Bye (GC792B). Wrote down the date and time in the log, and took a picture with my digital camera so I have the timestamp of when we were at the cache.

The next morning when we got home, I went to log the drop and discovered that the bug was no longer in my inventory! Lookinh at the last edit time on the log where it was picked up, it appears that the pickup was logged less than 4 hours after I dropped the bug off. At the time the bug was being logged as picked up we were still at our next cache for the day!

I've emailed the person who picked up the bug indicating the several methods we could use to straighten the bug log out, but havn't heard anything in reply in the week since then...

I just would like the bug to get the credit for the 57 miles we traveled.

So that's my $.02 worth..