Piratemania 2011 (and beyond!)

PopUpPirate

Piratemania 2008 - 25-27/Jul. Pindale Farm, Hope. 150 attendees.

Piratemania 2009 - 24-26/Jul. Rivendale, nr. Ashbourne. 230 attendees.

Piratemania 2010 - 23-25/Jul. Peak Gateway, Ashbourne. 350 attendees.

Piratemania 2011 - 22-23/Jul. Peak Gateway, Ashbourne. ??? attendees.

Piratemania 2012 - 20-22/Jul. Peak Gateway, Ashbourne. ??? attendees.

As ever, the weekend nearest the 23rd July - so for year 4 this is the 23rd and 24th July (Fri/Sat, leading into Sunday 25th July).

Just posting advance notice so that people can book their holidays now - I know that some in the public sector need nearly a years notice ;)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/vi...?v=393361066555

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=414973139397

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=411887431105

ARRRR!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think there's any need to move the date - they're very differnent types of events, and people will choose which one they feel is more up their street... for example, there are many weekends each year when there are events on, and people will tend to go to either the one that is nearer to them, or the one where their caching friends are going.

I tend not to go to Pirates, but choose to go to Gfab, I choose to drive all the way to Kent for a camping event, but didn't go to the one in the Midlands... horses for courses!

The date of the SE Mega in 2012 has been publicised as July 22nd since August last year- I appreciate you have your regular date but would you consider moving it in 2012 to avoid a clash? Naturally the date of the Geolympix is tied into both the summer holidays and the start of the Olympics so isn't open to being moved.

People know when Piratemania is, if anything you should move yours and I don't have a vested interest as I don't do Piratemania, not my kind of event.

Edited by mongoose39uk

Personally I think an alternative camping event the same time as the Olympics is most welcome. Wild horses wouldn't drag me to London that summer and I think many feel the same. Even a mega won't be enough to pursuade me! Others I know wouldn't miss the Olympics for the world. As Hazel says, horses for courses, if they want to come they will, regardless of what else is going on at the same time.

I must say I feel a sense of regret that Pirates isn't moving. One of the appeals for me has always been the change in location and the chance to explore somewhere new.

As for us, we already have plans for that weekend that summer so won't make either. Wish both etevents luck though ;)

we never would think of going to a mega because of the size.

as for piratemania not moving well the campsite did such a good job and where so welcoming and the geo shop on site, there where also lots of walks which new routes could be set.

we never did all the caches so next year we might finish the route before starting the new one.

already book the weekend off next year and see all the old and new pirates there. aaaarrrrhhh

we never would think of going to a mega because of the size.

as for piratemania not moving well the campsite did such a good job and where so welcoming and the geo shop on site, there where also lots of walks which new routes could be set.

we never did all the caches so next year we might finish the route before starting the new one.

already book the weekend off next year and see all the old and new pirates there. aaaarrrrhhh

sorry about posting twice computer had a melt down or was it user fault?

Did you get a timeout error on the first post and tried again? The forums seem to meltdown every so often when you are posting, so you hit back and submit again without realising the first submission went through.

sorry about posting twice computer had a melt down or was it user fault?

Did you get a timeout error on the first post and tried again? The forums seem to meltdown every so often when you are posting, so you hit back and submit again without realising the first submission went through.

thats what happened! i thought it was just me have a early morning brain fart!!! :)

we will try and make that one. will there be a thread of all uk events or facebook page again so we can see all the events in advance and plan from there?

I would have thought that there will be a reprise of the facebook group from last years listing all (most of) the uk camping events ( Keehotee ? )

And i am sure that the GAGB events calender will be as comprehensive as always :laughing:

Being new to this sort of thing, I was glad to see an event I could get geeky over.

But I have to say I'm not liking all the rivalry and all that over these events, seems like there are a couple of events and the organisers don't seem to be communicating what so ever.

Maybe there needs to be a system in place for anyone wanting to organise an event to arrange dates and locaions, but the current system seems to fall apart when someone comes along who demands specifics.

I plan to attend Piratemania next year and the year after, though the Geolympics will be closer for me to attend (I'm South Eastern based) I have little interest in attending, but Piratemania seems more up my street.

I think this is what things will boil down to, people will choose their events based on their own interests, there will be plenty of people in the same boat as me.

I do wish the Geolympics well though, but I worry that anyone who might be coming over for the actual Olympics might find the financial strain of coming over a week earlier for a Geocaching event too much, which might harm the expected turn out but you should still get people who like the idea of an Olympic games of Geocaching.

As I see it (and it is only a humble opinion) the way the organisers of Geolympics are rigidly sticking to their dates could have a negative impact on their event, I'd imagine a better move would have been to host the event at a separate date to the Olympics and run it as an autonomous celebration, hell you could even have a TB travel along a pre-planned route as if it were an Olympic Torch with set Cachers of good standing picking it up at each leg of the journey untill it reached the "games".

But oh well, I'm just a nobody and as has been indicated many a time, opinions such as mine do not matter to the Geolympics commitee.

But I would like to see some sort of regulatory body for Uk events, to make sure all events are at reasonable distances away from any others both in distance and date, they could help with planning and even help with finding companies to help make the special edition coins and other such swag at affordable prices, maybe even sponsorship for said events to help with costs.

A man is allowed to dream, right?

I'll stop rambling, GO TEAM.

But I would like to see some sort of regulatory body for Uk events, to make sure all events are at reasonable distances away from any others both in distance and date, they could help with planning and even help with finding companies to help make the special edition coins and other such swag at affordable prices, maybe even sponsorship for said events to help with costs.

Don't think that would be popular at all - for a start who would run it? The reviewers are volunteers and have enough to do already. And who get's to choose that one event is more worthy than another? A regulatory body would make for more angst I think as people would resent being told what to do. As for sponsorship and coins... well that's sounding like a full time job!! :)

It's worked well for the last 10 years just as it is - first come first served with people talking about dates openly here on the forums, or socially on sites such as facebook. Most discussions regarding dates take place off this forum TBH, and we pick up the phone or email to check if we think something will clash.

If you're a facebook fan check out keehotee's camping event group which is used to avoid clashes between weekends and you'll see it working really well. Cachers in the UK orgainse dates amongst themselves and don't need anyone to oversee things formally...... :wub:

I think the summer of 2012 is the first time that we've seen a clash and TBH I think most people agree that the events are so dissimilar they wouldn't appeal to the same people anyway.

Lots of us openly discuss our dates well ahead of time behind the scenes so that we can ensure we don't clash. Usually we swap dates around amicably, but on the odd occasion it is harder to sort out. Par for the course and nothing to get concerned about..... :wub:

Piratemania 2008 - 25-27/Jul. Pindale Farm, Hope. 150 attendees.

Piratemania 2009 - 24-26/Jul. Rivendale, nr. Ashbourne. 230 attendees.

Piratemania 2010 - 23-25/Jul. Peak Gateway, Ashbourne. 350 attendees.

Piratemania 2011 - 22-23/Jul. Peak Gateway, Ashbourne. ??? attendees.

Piratemania 2012 - 20-22/Jul. Peak Gateway, Ashbourne. ??? attendees.

As ever, the weekend nearest the 23rd July - so for year 4 this is the 23rd and 24th July (Fri/Sat, leading into Sunday 25th July).

Just posting advance notice so that people can book their holidays now - I know that some in the public sector need nearly a years notice ;)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/vi...?v=393361066555

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=414973139397

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=411887431105

ARRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Bump. :D

Just putting the dates on the new calendar..

Might even take a day off to get there early shipmates.. AAarrrrrrrrrr :D

www.piratemania.org.uk

Not long now... 411 and counting... 1 month to go! :P

Rum at the ready!

Tents that look like ships!

The infinite field (it's the green sea!)

When I was a little lad

And so my mother told me,

Way, haul away, we'll haul away Joe,

That if I did not kiss a gal

My lips would grow all moldy,

Way, haul away, we'll haul away Joe.

Chorus

Way, haul away, we'll haul for better weather,

Way, haul away, we'll haul away Joe.

King Louis was the King of France

Before the Revolution,

Way, haul away, we'll haul away Joe,