"Unloved Caches"

This past week my wife and I trekked through the backwoods of Wyoming to find a 4.5/4.5 cache that nobody had attempted in 3 years. I decided we needed to look for it even if it wound up being a DNF. It was a great feeling to find the cache right at GZ and in amazing shape.

There are probably caches out there that have gone as long or longer without a cacher looking for them. If anybody knows of some, I think it would be interesting to have a public bookmark list so people can easily keep track and watch. If there's already a list like that out there, let me know.

Also, I'd like to hear about other cachers that have taken the time to go out and find 'unloved' caches. I tried looking for a topic like this and couldn't find it. If this is a duplicate, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

I found an unloved cache. Its coords were way off, filled with rainwater and just left there. I messaged the CO and asked if she wanted it anymore and she signed it over to me for adoption. I got a new container, logbook and swag put it back in place. Then I took better coods and put them online. Its called leaf me alonge if you'd like to read the logs.

Two other cachers and I went after one recently that hadn't been found in 3 years.

A couple of very experienced cachers had DNF'd it last year and those were the only logs on it in three years.

Actually the last time it had been found was when I was part of a couples team but I'd stayed on the trail while my partner did the scramble for the cache so I didn't know the exact hiding spot.

Three years of tree droppings had the cache rather well concealed to say the least.

We put it back the way we found it.... ;)

And did a few 'yeehaws' and high fives on the way back down the trail!!

Way out here with all this bush, it's not unusual for a cache to go unfound for a year....three is rather unusual.

A buddy and I found Fisher Peak Cache, in British Columbia halfway up a mountain, four years after the previous finders.

The thing was in perfect condition, as if it had been placed just the week before - which is especially impressive considering the harsh mountain environment. It was a standard Rubbermaid plasticware container, tucked into the rocks.

We were impressed.

PS: Then it was three more years before the next find.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Hmm, I just realized five of my own caches haven't been found in over a year - and I have more that are fast approaching that one-year mark. These aren't even deep in the mountains; they're just in a natural area an hour's drive from a city and another hour or two hike from the trailhead.

In this part of Canada, there are plenty of caches that are lonely, "unloved" (well I love them), and very patient.

BTW, this was a bit of a rush:

836c9a11-54b8-4106-bef1-49c5838382e2.jpg

A local cacher (well, local to me) has a challenge cache that in order to log the find you first must find a "lonely cache" that has been unfound for over a year. The challenge cache is GC1DQ8R. It was placed in July of 2008 and thus far has 64 finds, meaning 64 lonely caches have been found.

There is another cache about 20 miles from my house that has not been found for well over 2 years. It is on an island in the Mississippi River. I'm pretty sure this one would require the use of a boat all year as it is near the main channel and I don't think it ever freezes enough to walk on. At least not enough for me.

Thus far I've only bagged a few lonely caches. Every one was not by design but rather I just happeded to be caching in the area and they were there.

A little off-topic, but I placed two caches on June 22 that still have not been found (or DNF'd).

They/I are feeling distinctly unloved.

And you can drive most of the way to them!

GC2ANJ2 and GC2ANJH if anyone is curious.

So where are these cachers who sneer at lamppost skirt-lifters and demand a walk in the woods?