How to Retrieve Unlock Code

RonMiller

Went with a small group today and played a Wherigo Cartridge at the park, Greenville, SC. We played it on my Droid2 using the WhereYouGo Application and it did show the unlock code at the last waypoint however, I don't know how to retrieve this code? Any suggestions?

The app saves a file extension .ows.... the website requires a .gws upload to unlock.

Changing the file extension didn't work.

I would give the app a 4 out of 5 stars. It worked great. If I can figure out how to unlock the cartridge it would be a 5 star app.

I'm glad to see the cartridges running on the droid platform. Should be a lot of fun and maybe we will see more interest/development.

I've played the Wherigo cartridges in Greenville. The cartridge author marks the cartridges as complete in your save file (I had to go back to check just to be sure). As TheHarvesters said, you will need to upload your save file.

If I remember correctly, WhereYouGo's save file isn't compatible with what the site uses. If you'd like the cartridge unlocked on the site, I should be able to help you with that. Please email me off the forum (my email address on on my gc.com profile). I can share my save file.

Yep... WhereYouGo saves the file as .ows and it isn't compatible.

I remember seeing the unlock code at the end of the cartridge. This particular Cart made mention of saving the tracking numbers and code in the inventory so I didn't give it much thought. The tracking numbers were in the inventory and the "Code" for part 2 was in the inventory. The unlock code... not there. ;)

Thanks RF for the offer. I might just go out and do this one again then continue on to Part two.

I'll try to remember to write down the unlock code this time. :D

EDIT To Add: I love this app. Is Groundspeak working with the designer on this?

Edited by RonMiller

At the moment, RonMiller, Groundspeak isn't working on Wherigo at all. I hope to be the first to know because I want to work on the site. I do know what they're working on, but cannot discuss it at the moment.

The stance I have received from Groundspeak is they like the third-party applications. I can see them working with the third-party developers later, but they are not doing so at this time. If I have any influence and opinion, I'd push them in that direction. I see it as analogous to the volunteer reviewers with geocaching.

Now that you mentioned the specific cartridge, I can say more. Yes, I do remember seeing the TB tracking numbers in the inventory and the code for the second cartridge. I also do not remember seeing the unlock code. It's a lesson to learn, then, for my cartridges: choose to display the unlock code in case someone uses a third-party Player (this has already happened).

Part two is neat in that it takes you to the zoo. You have to pay admission, though, if you want to play through the cartridge. My advice to you is to bring a camera and enjoy the zoo as your primary focus and do the cartridge as a supplement to your visit.

schnookies: One possibility is the cartridge's author didn't include a message box telling players the unlock code. Some authors mark a cartridge as unlocked instead of showing the code (I do this on a few of my cartridges). Unfortunately, most of the third-party players do not produce save files that can be read by the Wherigo site. A save file is needed to unlock a cartridge if you don't have a completion code (of course, if the cartridge's author didn't include code to mark the cartridge as complete, anyway, the save file will do you little good). If you still need a completion code, I can provide a way for you to unlock the cartridge if I know which one it is.

TheHarvesters: Yeah, I know that looks like teasing. The thing is, I don't know enough to be fully conversant on the topic, so saying anything more could do more harm than good, as there won't be anyone to answer the questions that will arise. Still, I wanted to point that much out to indicate Groundspeak is working on something apart from the geocaching site.

thanks for the response! these are the two i've done now....

GC27WJ9 Syzygy and

GC1CC2H Geobot

i'd really like to be able to "finish" these on the Wherigo page!!

schnookies (ramona)

schnookies: One possibility is the cartridge's author didn't include a message box telling players the unlock code. Some authors mark a cartridge as unlocked instead of showing the code (I do this on a few of my cartridges). Unfortunately, most of the third-party players do not produce save files that can be read by the Wherigo site. A save file is needed to unlock a cartridge if you don't have a completion code (of course, if the cartridge's author didn't include code to mark the cartridge as complete, anyway, the save file will do you little good). If you still need a completion code, I can provide a way for you to unlock the cartridge if I know which one it is.

TheHarvesters: Yeah, I know that looks like teasing. The thing is, I don't know enough to be fully conversant on the topic, so saying anything more could do more harm than good, as there won't be anyone to answer the questions that will arise. Still, I wanted to point that much out to indicate Groundspeak is working on something apart from the geocaching site.

I have a similar question to EZtrack. Player had assumed she could just upload the save file and didn't pay attention to the unlock code. But I didn't mark the save file as completed. Any way to either mark the file as completed in an editor or extract completion code from the save file?

I can either mark her save file as complete or give you the unlock code. Either way, I'd need something from her (the save file for the former or the cartridge file for the latter).

Chalk up another possible item on my Wherigo site want list: the ability for cartridge owners to mark the cartridge as complete for specific people. The trouble, though, is this might be abused. You could argue that, in geocaching, you can delete a player's log, but you can't log a cache for a player. However, this is a little different (and I guess I'd make it so a cartridge owner could only unlock the cartridge for players with a "Played It" log). Something to think about, at least.