Opinions on my rejected cache idea

keeweechris

Hi there,

I'm kinda new to cache placing (have done 1 before), and I got rejected on my 2nd attempt. So I am interested in what the community thinks.

I was recently in holiday in Vanuatu, and while there found what I thought was a great hiding spot in a structure, 1.5m below water in a wonderful publicly accessible marine reserve. I asked the holiday resort (who ran the marine reserve) if they'd mind me placing a cache there. Ofcourse I had to explain the whole geocaching thing to them ;-)

I did it all by the books... made a "read this first" sheet, found a waterproof container (bottle), got a GC number and wrote it on it, etc.

Upon returning to New Zealand, I submitted my request and was denied on 2 main points: 1) I had no maintenance plan and 2) It was deemed as a commercial cache because it was within the "grounds" of a commercial operation.

I agree, I had no way of getting out there again if something happened to the container, but I don't mind at all if it disappears or needs to be archived for any reason. As long as a few people get to find it first, I'm happy. I tried to convey this to the approver, but no joy. Does anyone think a clause for "not caring if it gets archived sometime in the future" should be an option in the guidelines?

And regarding the commercial thing, I only asked the resort out of respect. They don't necessarily benefit from my cache, and I'm in no way associated with the resort. It's a great place to go for a daytrip though, and that would benefit geocachers.

Anyway, I'm not too fussed either way, it was fun making the cache and hiding it :-) But I'd be keen to hear what other geocachers thought. I feel a little misunderstood as far as the review went, especially since he/she didn't ask any questions at all, just a flat "no" in the first reply, then he/she archived it.

Many thanks

Chris

I'm not sure I understand enough about the specifics of the second part to comment effectively.

But regarding the first, part of the problem in the past has been with caches placed by folks who didn't care what happened to them after. It's not just about maintaining the listing for other geocachers, it's also about maintaining the placement w.r.t. the area and environment. If nobody cares enough to fetch the container after it eventually is archived, we're creating litter. A bunch of abandoned geocaches all around the world that nobody cares about isn't the best way for us to be interacting with the environment and the rest of the outside world.

I agree, I had no way of getting out there again if something happened to the container, but I don't mind at all if it disappears or needs to be archived for any reason. As long as a few people get to find it first, I'm happy. I tried to convey this to the approver, but no joy. Does anyone think a clause for "not caring if it gets archived sometime in the future" should be an option in the guidelines?

When you submit a cache for publication, you have to click a little box stating that you've read the guidelines.

It seems pretty clear that you haven't.

There is section of the guidelines that specifically addresses CACHE PERMANENCE. You may not care if your cache disappears and needs to be archived, but Groundspeak does.

Maintenance includes putting new logs in, changing the container if the old one breaks, cleaning out the container periodically if needed etc. It's not just replacing one that vanishes. You are unable to do these normal maintenance tasks. I live somewhere where people on vacation dump caches and then never return to maintain the (even though they apparently convince the reviewer they are going to). It's a little annoying. And creates litter.

I was recently in holiday in Vanuatu, and while there found what I thought was a great hiding spot...

I stopped reading right there.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#maint

It may be difficult to fulfill your maintenance obligations if you place a cache while traveling on vacation or otherwise outside of your normal caching area. These caches may not be published unless you are able to demonstrate an acceptable maintenance plan. It is not uncommon for caches to go missing, areas to be cleared, trails to be blocked or closed, objects used for multi-cache or puzzles to be moved or removed, etc. Your maintenance plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems.

The territory in which a geocacher is able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from one person to the next. An active geocacher who regularly visits areas hundreds of miles apart can demonstrate their ability to maintain a cache 100 miles from home. A geocacher whose previous finds and hides are all within 25 miles of their home would likely not see their cache published if placed 250 miles away from their home.

i still agree with the rules that CO must be able to maintain. But i just remembered a cache i found at an interstate rest stop. 35mm film canister inside fence post. It seems the community was maintaining it. i did really enjoy finding it! i suppose if the cache stays dry, logs replaced, and not broken then i don't mind who placed it from where. But i would hope that if that maintenance stops then it be archived. i wonder how that cache got through review?

Vacation caches are prohibited for a reason, people can't maintain it and its evident that you can't. Commercial? Well, I guess its because its with in a commercial establishment (resort that many can't get permission to enter) and not something like a state park.

So, now that is out of the way, here is a question.

Where is the cache now? How are you going to get someone to get the geo-litter from where you placed it and dispose of properly?

Vacation caches are prohibited for a reason, people can't maintain it and its evident that you can't. Commercial? Well, I guess its because its with in a commercial establishment (resort that many can't get permission to enter) and not something like a state park.

So, now that is out of the way, here is a question.

Where is the cache now? How are you going to get someone to get the geo-litter from where you placed it and dispose of properly?

Good question. Now you've created trash you can't remove. I would work on contacting some cachers in that area to clean up the mess.

i still agree with the rules that CO must be able to maintain. But i just remembered a cache i found at an interstate rest stop. 35mm film canister inside fence post. It seems the community was maintaining it. i did really enjoy finding it! i suppose if the cache stays dry, logs replaced, and not broken then i don't mind who placed it from where. But i would hope that if that maintenance stops then it be archived. i wonder how that cache got through review?

The original CO for that cache may have maintained it for awhile but left the game for one reason or another. Caches worth keeping around are often adopted by the community if the original CO no longer responds and an official adoption isn't possible. Unfortunately, if there are ever issues with the cache that required cache page maintainance (for example, if there were some temporary construction in the area and it needs to be temporarily disabled) a community maintained cache cache should probably be archived. If the spot is really good a someone from the community can place a new one in the same spot.

Unfortunately, some caches get through the review process because some that submit caches for review are not always completely truthful.

. Does anyone think a clause for "not caring if it gets archived sometime in the future" should be an option in the guidelines?

No. In fact, that's a good reason for NOT approving a cache.

You sound like your heart's in the right place. I'll bet you could hide some great caches! Just do it in your own territory and take good care of them.

Maybe the Geocaching community could create a new channel for people who have

found a great spot but can't maintain a cache at that spot. I understand this guys idea was rejected for location aswell as his ability to maintain. But for others i think a thread could be handy.

A template like this one. (Example only)

Region: Edinburgh

Location type: Historical, Scenic, Spooky Edinburgh castle

Terrain difficulty: Easy

Terrain type: Dry land

Suitable cache: Micro

Description. A hole in the tree hard to find unless your behind it doing a pee.

Intresting facts of area: Bla Bla Bla its Edinburgh Castle...

Pictures of the location: Mines is just an example not a good one mind.

hole_0657.jpg

Co-ords: 55.947809,-3.201817

It could then be posted in the forums and anyone in that area looking for a good place to hide a cache could use the spot if they liked. They would get credit for the location though since they will be the one that has to maintain.

Edited by Claudis192
I don't mind at all if it disappears or needs to be archived for any reason. As long as a few people get to find it first, I'm happy.

Does anyone think a clause for "not caring if it gets archived sometime in the future" should be an option in the guidelines?

Dude, seriously. Would you like to waste your time looking for a missing cache?

Edited by BlueDeuce

Sounds like you found a realy cool cache site. Unfortunatly, the reviewer is correct. However, instead of giving up, why not try to come up with a maintanence plan. Maybe get in contact with the resort manager who you had talked to and see if he or any of the others there would be willing to do some mainanence. Or maybe a local cacher would like to adopt it.

I am interested in what the community thinks.

I think you might be able to work your way past the commercial aspect of the guidelines, in that the marine reserve is open to the public, with one big caveat. I think it would come down to, does the resort charge Joe Public for being there? If not, it could be made to work... maybe. If the resort charges folks to be in the reserve, I don't think it'll pass muster.

If you are able to wiggle your way past that guideline, you still have a significant hurdle in creating a maintenance plan. On a few occasions in the past, a few less scrupulous cachers plopped out vacation caches, claiming "My Aunt Edna is going to do maintenance for me". Sadly, Aunt Edna never materialized, and the communities ended up with litter, sporting "Official Geocache" labels on them. Obviously, that is bad for the game. As for you not caring if it ends up being archived, cleaning up an archived cache is also part of your responsibilities when you place a cache. Telling the Reviewer that you don't care about those duties is a sure recipe for failure.

Since you've left a bottle, (presumable clearly labeled as a geocache), that will never get logged as a geocache, you've created something that is going to sit there gathering algae till some hapless mook stumbles upon it. Then they get to hold their nose, dispose of your litter and form lots of negative misconceptions about this hobby.

What they ^^^ all said.

Now that we've all pointed out the error of your ways ;) you can do your best to contact that marina and explain and ask someone to remove the bottle from its hiding place.

When your geocaching halo is shining once more I'm sure you'll be able to find somewhere cool to hide a similar underwater cache within 50 miles of your home area. When you find a suitable spot, before you invest too much time and effort preparing a waterproof cache container etc, create a very basic 'skeleton' cache page with the approximate co-ordinates of where you want to place it, making sure that the little box "Yes, this cache is active..." is un-checked. Then email the cache page link to your local reviewer. He/she will be able to do a quick check and will let you know whether they see any obvious problems with the location you've chosen.

MrsB

I was recently in holiday in Vanuatu,

I agree, I had no way of getting out there again if something happened to the container, but I don't mind at all if it disappears or needs to be archived for any reason.

vacation cache, big check mark against = difficult to maintain.

you don't care if it disappears, but geocaching.com does.

as for the commercial bit, that really seems to be up to the reviewer as i've had an event declined that was similar. funny thing is, we'll still be a bunch of geocachers meeting and discussing geocaching.... just without the smilie and without the opportunity to invite others who might be interested.

This could always be a private cache. The resort can post the coordinates some place and visitors can go find the cache. Of course they won't score the all important big point on Geocaching.com when the find the cache. And we all know that the point you get for logging your find on Geocaching.com is what geocaching is all about. Wait maybe you're right - anything not listed on Geoaching.com for which you can't log a find and get the all important big point is geo-litter and should be disposed of. :D

found a great spot but can't maintain a cache at that spot.

Sounds like a waymark...

I had the same thought. Perhaps a Waymarking category for "this is a great place for a cache but I can't put one here." This may be the best definition of a virtual cache I've heard yet. ;)

This could always be a private cache. The resort can post the coordinates some place and visitors can go find the cache. Of course they won't score the all important big point on Geocaching.com when the find the cache. And we all know that the point you get for logging your find on Geocaching.com is what geocaching is all about. Wait maybe you're right - anything not listed on Geoaching.com for which you can't log a find and get the all important big point is geo-litter and should be disposed of. :D

found a great spot but can't maintain a cache at that spot.

Sounds like a waymark...

I had the same thought. Perhaps a Waymarking category for "this is a great place for a cache but I can't put one here." This may be the best definition of a virtual cache I've heard yet. ;)

I agree. Let me know if someone starts this group/category on Waymarking.com. I would, but I have enough categories as it is that I'm leading.

What would be a good name for the waymark category?

Thanks for all your replies... some productive, but most not so productive.

Lets get something clear, I'm not one of those ultra serious geocachers who revel in the big numbers beside their names. You know the ones, who love finding the cache-in-a-flax bush and hiding more caches in other flax bushes. I swear some day I'll find a container in every flax bush in the world!

"clean up the mess"

"get the geo-litter from where you placed it and dispose of properly"

"I stopped reading right there."

"I live somewhere where people on vacation dump caches and then never return to maintain "

"you have to click a little box stating that you've read the guidelines. It seems pretty clear that you haven't."

"if you can't properly maintain your cache your no longer following the rules"

Haha, in the grand scheme of things, I doubt anyone would find my little bottle (with its interesting contents inside) and think to themselves "this is litter" or "what a mess" or consider it rubbish. My container is still a container like all the your other geocaches behind flax bushes (prepared nicely) and sitting hidden in nature somewhere. It just hasn't been found yet. Litter and mess and dumps are the wrappers people drop after opening a pack of cigurettes, or old fridges they can't be bothered disposing of properly, or all the packaging that most people on this forum just throw out after buying their precious new ipod. If you think about it, the bottle I re-used as a container is now put to (what I consider) good use, instead of ending up in Vanuatu landfill. Next time you guys who place your cache behind that flax-bush, consider re-using an existing container instead of going to your local Walmart and buying one. I bet there are many non-cachers out there who would consider every geocache to be litter! Sigh.

"Dude, seriously. Would you like to waste your time looking for a missing cache?"

Seriously dude, you would not feel like your time has been wasted if my cache led you to this idilic spot on earth and you chilled out for 1 day of your life. If you found my cache and got a number beside your name, binus.

Claudis192, great idea! It's given me new ideas. Yes, I think me heart is in the right place. I only wanted to lead people to this spot to experience the beauty of it.

"why not try to come up with a maintanence plan"

I did contact the owners of the other 2 caches on Vanuatu and asked if they could look after it. The only reply I got was from a nice guy who explained he was in the same boat but convinced his reviewer that his mate living on Vanuatu would look after it. He said he'd be happy to ask his mate to "maintain" mine. I considered this "not a great maint plan".

At the end of the day, I understand where most of you are coming from, and see you have difficulty explaining it in a productive way. Can I also remind you that nowhere (I've seen on geocaching.com) does it refer to the set of rules as "Rules". They're refer to as "guidelines", and I believe that's not a conincidence. Geocaching is not meant to be serious. People do it as a game, for their (and others) pleasure. That is the basis for any cache I plant, and any I seek. Go have a read of my one (and only) cache comments.

What would you guys say if I told you there was a sizable amount of money inside my Vanuatu cache, as a prize for the FTFer? Would that change your opinion of whether it was liter or not? Would that incent you to seek it out, regardless of the concept of Geocaching and its Guidelines?

Watch this space! :-)

Rationalize it all you want, jump down the throat of the people whom you asked for advice, but the simple fact remains that you are talking about dropping a cache somewhere which wil not be maintained by you or anyone else, and that's against the guidelines. It is only one step above leaving trash because you've essentially given it up & decided to take no future responsibility for it.

What would you guys say if I told you there was a sizable amount of money inside my Vanuatu cache, as a prize for the FTFer? Would that change your opinion of whether it was liter or not? Would that incent you to seek it out, regardless of the concept of Geocaching and its Guidelines?

Wouldn't change my opinion. Caches get muggled, water logged, chewed up by animals, destroyed by construction and accidents all the time. They require maintenance.

When people are vacationing, they only have a finite amount of time to see all the sights & do all the activities. It's not fair to those who budget their vacation time to do some caching only to come up with a DNF when they could have been spending time on the beach or searching for another maintained cache.

"Dude, seriously. Would you like to waste your time looking for a missing cache?"

Seriously dude, you would not feel like your time has been wasted if my cache led you to this idilic spot on earth and you chilled out for 1 day of your life. If you found my cache and got a number beside your name, binus.

I think most cachers would disagree with this. While it's great to go to a scenic spot, the whole idea of caching is to find a container. As noted by others, it sounds like it would make a good spot for a Waymark, or if someone can learn something about earth science at the spot, it could be listed as an Earthcache. That way people are visiting a great spot and getting a smiley too.

Thanks for all your replies... some productive, but most not so productive.
You make some fair points. Allow me to respond.

It's true that the forums often seem (to me) to be a snark contest. If someone comes to the forums with an idea or question that is already addressed by the guidelines, at times others will race to see who can put the OP in his place first and most witheringly. I'll certainly admit that "you have to click a little box stating that you've read the guidelines. It seems pretty clear that you haven't" comes across as more snarky than it needs to be. The same point could be made in a different tone. Especially given that your original post was friendly / nonconfrontational / etc.

That said, of course, remember that disagreement isn't necessarily rude. Just because I disagree with vacation caches in general, and prefer they not be placed, doesn't mean that my opinion is not productive. I should be able to contribute to a discussion without having to agree with you.

The concept of geo-littler is an interesting one. I don't disagree with you that it's not black & white. This comment in particular:

I bet there are many non-cachers out there who would consider every geocache to be litter!

Is not unfair. Is it geo-litter if you leave a well-hidden and robust container with interesting treasures, but rather than listing it on geocaching.com simply tell a few of your friends about it? In some ways whether or not it is listed on geocaching.com is not relevant to whether or not it is litter. You could have your own private game of caching that's just you and your friends - what's to say that game has less of a right to affect the environment that geocaching.com's game? I certainly don't view every geocache as litter - but I have run across active listings on geocaching.com that I do.

People will have different opinions and I'm not the ultimate arbiter by any stretch. I'm just saying that I can see the point that geo-litter is not as binary as some would have it.

Historically, though, I think it is worth pointing out that when caches get abandoned, they often do turn into what you or I (or most reasonable people) would declare trash. It's not necessarily that you've left a well-hidden, nice bottle filled with treasures. But certainly when muggles or the environment conspire to damage the cache, breaking the bottle, spreading the contents out, exposing them to the elements, etc. etc. etc. - now we have a situation, if the CO isn't nearby to take responsibility. A nice cache may be preferable to a bottle sitting in a landfill, but a bottle in a landfill is preferable to that bottle spread out as trash in the Vanuatu environment. And that's what I see as the probable endgame in this case.

As a couple of final notes, I agree with Skippermark that it sounds like this area (which you describe glowingly) would make for a great Waymark or Earthcache. That might be a way to bridge the gap between your idyllic spot and this listing service. Also, FWIW, I wouldn't view a cash prize in the bottle as affecting my opinion in the least.

Hope you find a good resolution to your situation.

Wow, just wow.

I have seen many threads degrade into snarky comments, fingerpointing, rudeness and ugliness. IMO, this thread didn't follow that route.

(Ok, I'll admit the comments of "checking off the little box" comments are a little bit grating...)

But honestly, the jist of what everyone was saying is that, Vacation caches are prohibited because of a lack of maintenance issue, which this cache violated and the original post mentioning you didn't really mind if it got archived or went missing.

But you obviously wanted others to second your opinion of it being unfairly archived, which the majority disagreed; you didn't ask for constructive criticism or productive thoughts or solutions.

Many, including myself asked about how this archived cache would now be retrieved. OK, I get it, you have no way of retrieving that cache now, and in the grand scheme of things what's another bottle hidden or floating around in the sea with all the other litter strewn out there in the woods, in the cities, etc. I mean, all caches can be construed as litter!

So, why give those non-cacher, geo-litter types more ammunition against this game?

Many of us had caches go missing or not published for various reasons, its a fact of caching.

When my caches go missing, I make every attempt to find the cache and pick up trash as I do. But if the cache I placed in 7,000 miles away that is way more difficult which is a good reason why these types of caches are banned.

When my last series of caches were disabled by a reviewer because I didn't follow NYC rules (who knew that climbing a tree in NYC was against the rules? I didn't. Boy, have I broken those rules my entire life1), I tried to find a resolution to keep it a fun hide, ultimately it wasn't as fun as it was, but I complied.

Guidelines are not rules, true. But Groundspeak came up with these rules to help the game grow while trying to be responsible to the general non-caching populace around those that enjoy this game.

Lastly, I am glad you didn't enlist the services of the mate of the other caches on the island. That sounds dubious at best.

I truly hope that there is a good resolution to either listing the cache with this or another cachelisting service.

Wow, just WOW.

I mean, I agree with the reviewer but I can't believe it required 33 condescending posts to tell you how wrong you really are. Don't the first.. say.. 5 or 10 posts suffice?

Wow.

The OP asked for opinions. People have been responding with opinions. I don't see the problem. Unless, of course, the OP only wanted opinions that agreed with theirs. In that case they are in the wrong place.

Wow, just WOW.

I mean, I agree with the reviewer but I can't believe it required 33 condescending posts to tell you how wrong you really are. Don't the first.. say.. 5 or 10 posts suffice?

Wow.

The OP asked for opinions. People have been responding with opinions. I don't see the problem. Unless, of course, the OP only wanted opinions that agreed with theirs. In that case they are in the wrong place.

Was there ever any doubt the OP was looking for a groundswell of opinion supporting his position so he could go beat the reviewer over the head with the opinion or so he could feel properly victimized by a tyrannical reviewer? I especially liked "They're refer to as "guidelines", and I believe that's not a coincidence. Geocaching is not meant to be serious.". I think that means that okay it is not quite up to standards, but I think it is a neat cache so it is okay. Except for one post, everyone pointed out were the OP was wrong. The one exception was to find out what a flax plant is. They always seem to go this way, don't they? Well, maybe not about the flax plants.

Wow, just WOW.

Wow.

Was there ever any doubt the OP was looking for a groundswell of opinion supporting his position so he could go beat the reviewer over the head with the opinion or so he could feel properly victimized by a tyrannical reviewer? I especially liked "They're refer to as "guidelines", and I believe that's not a coincidence. Geocaching is not meant to be serious.". I think that means that okay it is not quite up to standards, but I think it is a neat cache so it is okay. Except for one post, everyone pointed out were the OP was wrong. The one exception was to find out what a flax plant is. They always seem to go this way, don't they? Well, maybe not about the flax plants.

Yup.

What's a flax bush?

I guess he refers to New Zealand flax which is different from common flax or linseed.

That's interesting, to see the difference between the two. I was thinking, how odd, a flax "bush"? How can you hide a cache in a small, thin, plant? Now I know. :D I could have probably googled it myself, but I was being lazy, and a little tongue in cheek since I know that he was probably talking about something regional, but making it sound like it was all over the world. :anicute:

Haha, you guys are funny! I'm not going to start into a pointless argument over the internet though.

At the end of the day, I'm just a guy who found a cool place to hide a cache, though it would be a fun challenge to lead people here, and decided to make the best use of the equipement at hand to place a cache and have it approved later. Some of you guys are treating the situation like I've tipped a boot load of rubbish bags out my window on a drive-by!

Anyway, I totally agree with all of your concepts (not particularly the way you chose to put them across). I emailed the reviewer to ask if my cache can be a "help me retrieve this cache" cache. There will only be one FTF, and they properly dispose of it. Everyone wins. Unfortunately he has come up with a reason why this isn't possible. Can any of you geocachering-guru's guess what it could be?

Yeah, NZ flax is a hardy plant that grows all over NZ (I thought it was all over the world!), and many many boring caches are placed in/behind them. C'mon, I think geocachers can be a bit more imaginative than that... unless it's all about the numbers.

Edited by keeweechris

I emailed the reviewer to ask if my cache can be a "help me retrieve this cache" cache. There will only be one FTF, and they properly dispose of it. Everyone wins. Unfortunately he has come up with a reason why this isn't possible. Can any of you geocachering-guru's guess what it could be?

Read the guidelines.

Now read them again.

I emailed the reviewer to ask if my cache can be a "help me retrieve this cache" cache. There will only be one FTF, and they properly dispose of it. Everyone wins. Unfortunately he has come up with a reason why this isn't possible. Can any of you geocachering-guru's guess what it could be?

Read the guidelines.

Now read them again.

We have guidelines? Cool!

Cache Permanence?

Hey, GOF beat me to it. I shouldn't have replied without reading all the posts. :blink:

GOF, is it bad that we know the guidelines so well?

Edited by Skippermark

Yeah, NZ flax is a hardy plant that grows all over NZ (I thought it was all over the world!), and many many boring caches are placed in/behind them. C'mon, I think geocachers can be a bit more imaginative than that... unless it's all about the numbers.

I think you might be missing the fact that people do this game for different reasons. Not everyone cares if the caches are "imaginative." In my home area I have found hundreds of caches under piles of sticks in the woods. Never get tired of it. When I was caching in Arizona for a few months I found hundreds of caches under piles of rocks in the desert. Never got tired of it. I would love to get to NZ and find hundreds of caches behind flax plants! Guess what? I'd never get tired of it! Now, I would certainly appreciate it if I found one of your original, unique caches, and I would write a nice note about how clever it was.

But that's not the reason I'm out there. I love wandering in nature. The caches are just a little something extra.

Cache Permanence?

Hey, GOF beat me to it. I shouldn't have replied without reading all the posts. :blink:

GOF, is it bad that we know the guidelines so well?

Well, it sure seems that way if you judge it by this thread.