Geocacher liars

germanybert

Why do some geocachers lie about their finds?? I don't understand what the purpose of logging a cache is unless you actually find it. I aciidently marked one as found today while logging caches with my iphone and immediately deleted in once I got home.

Look at this guy's stats:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=57...1c-c9481e63906e

Meisten Bundesländer pro Tag: (Most states in on day): 7 (District of Columbia, Hawaii, Kansas, Nil, Nordrhein-Westfalen( Germany), Ontario, Virginia, Wyoming) am 22.03.2009

Tag mit der größten Entfernung: (Day with the longest distance): 54815 km, am 22.03.2009

I asked this guy about it and he said his sofa is very quick. :yikes:

I just don't get it.

I guess these are probably the same people who steal GCs

Edited by GermanyBert

Dear GermanyBert,

While it isn't just people from your country that do this, they have already earned a reputation. Some people think that a log that begins "Greetings from Germany" is already suspect. Part of the this has to do with virtual caching. I seems that some Germans (as well as people from other countries) misunderstood the idea of a virtual cache. They believe that virtual caches were not only existing physical objects virtually standing in for a physical cache, but by answering a question that virtually stood in for a signed log, you could virtually find a virtual cache without physically being there. The guidelines have since been clarified and Groundspeak posted their opinion on couch potato logs here. If your friends are having trouble understanding, perhaps you can show this to them.

That said not all these people are pathological liars. Some actual state in their logs what they are doing. Others may feel it is obvious and doesn't need to be stated. There isn't really any reason to be upset that someone wants to count couch potato finds. The find count is not a score. Nobody wins by having the most finds. The goal of geocaching is to have fun. Fortunately most people have fun by going out and finding caches. Some may enjoy doing online research to find the answers to a virtual cache verification question. But I can't imagine anyone having fun simply logging caches online that they never found. That is why I think (with the exception of virtual cache couch potato logs), this is very rare. People who do this get bored very quickly and stop. Cache owners should delete logs if they appear to be bogus.

Why do some geocachers lie about their finds?? I don't understand what the purpose of logging a cache is unless you actually find it. I aciidently marked one as found today while logging caches with my iphone and immediately deleted in once I got home.

Meisten Bundesländer pro Tag: (Most states in on day): 7 (District of Columbia, Hawaii, Kansas, Nil, Nordrhein-Westfalen( Germany), Ontario, Virginia, Wyoming) am 22.03.2009

Tag mit der größten Entfernung: (Day with the longest distance): 54815 km, am 22.03.2009

I asked this guy about it and he said his sofa is very quick. :yikes:

I just don't get it.

It's obvious he's lying and not fooling anyone, so why is this important? Why would it indicate something much more sinister? I've been to Jupiter a few times, but I rarely mention it just because of this. :sad:

Once you realize the numbers are meaningless, you will enjoy the game a lot more.

They are only cheating themselves.

Unless the cache - which people might want to do - is archived by the Powers That Be for having too many armchair logs. Then I feel cheated.

Edited by mulvaney

If they're doing they must have their own reasons. i don't know the reasons nor do o care. It doesn't hurt my game.

Do you like virtual caches? Wish that new ones could be hidden? Sad when one of the existing ones gets archived?

You can thank couch potato loggers for a percentage of that angst. For fans of virtual caches, it DOES hurt someone else's game.

If they're doing they must have their own reasons. i don't know the reasons nor do o care. It doesn't hurt my game.

Do you like virtual caches? Wish that new ones could be hidden? Sad when one of the existing ones gets archived?

You can thank couch potato loggers for a percentage of that angst. For fans of virtual caches, it DOES hurt someone else's game.

actually is not the couch potato loggers fault

we have to thank CO's for not making sure the logs are legit

and i don;t care if that's because they left the game, GC should make it easier in those instances to adopt a cache

and yes, i do like virtuals and i want them to be allowed again

I do not care that he does it I know that it has no effect on my stats or my game. I was just wondering why someone would do this.

Also....just because someone is in Germany does not mean they are German. So before assuming that Germany is MY country think about how many US Military are in Germany.

Edited by GermanyBert

Doesn't have to be that way. Groundspeak could have just taken the position that couch potato logs don't hurt anyone and therefore can be ignored. Instead they chose to define couch potato logs as an abuse of the system and bogus and then to apply the maintenance guideline and archive caches where the cache owners do not delete bogus logs. :yikes:

I do not care that he does it I know that it has no effect on my stats or my game. I was just wondering why someone would do this.

Also....just because someone is in Germany does not mean they are German. So before assuming that Germany is MY country think about how many US Military are in Germany.

Actually, it's the dwarf avatar that made me think you're from Germany. OK, maybe not. ;)

But everything Toz said in his first post is true, about how native Germans have sort of earned a reputation for this, and many of their logs contain the phrase "greetings from Germany", which has become rather humorous in these parts.

Don't feel beat down by the "it doesn't affect me, and I don't care" type responses. If I had seen this for the first time, I would be quite amazed myself, and maybe even start a forum thread.

i've only done one virtual cache. i can't find many. i really liked it and wish they'd be allowed. i wasn't around when they were banned and i don't know why there were.

Um, calling yourself "GermanyBert" may give the impression that you're from Germany, or, at least, you very much like Germany.

If you object to the assumption that you have some sort of affinity for, or affiliation with Germany, selecting a different user name may be a prudent course of action.

:)

Um, calling yourself "GermanyBert" may give the impression that you're from Germany, or, at least, you very much like Germany.

If you object to the assumption that you have some sort of affinity for, or affiliation with Germany, selecting a different user name may be a prudent course of action.

:)

Very true.

Interesting thread!

I don't care about other peoples stats, or even my own (other than that my stats are accurate.) The numbers don't mean much to me. My goal is seeing lots of places that I have never seen and enjoying the cache hunt. Yesterday I logged one traditional cache and one virtual cache. The area was so beautiful that it counted for much more that the eight caches that I logged the day before yesterday. There were a few other caches nearby, but I was enjoying the hike so much I figured that I could come back later and find them. That way I get to enjoy the excursion again.

One of the interesting things about Geocaching is that it can accommodate so many different goals!

But everything Toz said in his first post is true, about how native Germans have sort of earned a reputation for this, and many of their logs contain the phrase "greetings from Germany", which has become rather humorous in these parts.

Actually the phrase "greetings from Germany" is a rather common and polite way to conclude a log entry over here I guess and it doesn't necessarily mean that the guy posting this hasn't visited the cache site. In fact I have added that phrase a couple of times myself, when I logged caches that I did abroad after I returned home.

Of course I agree to GermanyBert. Quite obvious that guy's cheating [:D]

Edited by Heckenritter

Mr Pedantic checking in here. If GermanyBert was in fact German his user name should be GermanBert. In German, the umlaut represents a vowel followed by an "e" so for instance, if you can't type a "ü" on your American keyboard you would type "ue" instead. München is not pronounced Moonchen.

So long and Greetings from Germany!

You can thank couch potato loggers for a percentage of that angst.

A minuscule percentage, at best. The way I see it;

1 ) BillyBob creates a virtual cache way back when.

2 ) BillyBob drops out of the game, ignoring his maintenance responsibilities.

3 ) Bubba & friends log bogus finds.

4 ) Groundspeak takes umbrage at BillyBob for not maintaining their cache, and Bubba for the bogus log.

5 ) Groundspeak archives the listing.

I'll not take up arms against Bubba because Groundspeak likes killing flies with sledgehammers.

The most Bubba will get from me is the ole eyeroll, and maybe some snickering behind my hand.

Actually what the umlaut does is make the vowel long. It is just like English where we place the e at the end of the word. In German you just cut the e off the end and put two dots above the vowel you want to be long.

And München is almost pronounced Moonchen but the oo sound is made more up on the nose then then mouth.

I am American but have lived in Germany the last 15 years. I have a German wife and in-laws. Even after 15 years of marriage my wife and I still run into cultural misunderstandings.

I think it is a case of cultural misunderstanding if an American, who does not have any German cultural knowledge, automatically thinks that a German is logging a cache he or she never found just because the end their log with "Greetings from Germany"

Most Germans, and especially those that can speak and/or write English are very polite and, regardless of what they may claim, are proud to be German. So they write Greetings from Germany.

My last sentence is a example of how a cultural misunderstanding can occur. Many, if not most Americans have no idea how much Germans try to hide their German pride. German pride is something that their grandparents and parents taught them was bad or wrong. We all know this is because of WW II. But now the younger generation Germans, those aournd 35 and below, are starting to show their pride again and will write things such as Greetings From Germany. Something their Grandparents would probably never done.

So....the next time you see Greetings From Germany on your USA cache log don't just assume that it is a couch cacher.

But.....MANI.AC is a couch cacher and that is what this thread is all about.

Then again...it does not really matter. I started this thread because Mani.ac was the first person that I have found that does this and I wondered if anyone else had come acrossed it before. If it makes him feel good to lie about travelling more that 54000 KM in one day while caching it has no effect on me or my geocaching pleasure.

Edited by GermanyBert
I think it is a case of cultural misunderstanding if an American, who does not have any German cultural knowledge, automatically thinks that a German is logging a cache he or she never found just because the end their log with "Greetings from Germany"

I have a listing that has received no fewer than 40 logs containing the exact phrase "Greetings from Germany", one as recently as three days ago.

I have little doubt that they are legitimate finds.

I have a listing that has received no fewer than 40 logs containing the exact phrase "Greetings from Germany", one as recently as three days ago.

When I logged the virtual at Frankfurt airport I wondered what I should write. I was, in fact, in Germany when I found it, but I was in Montpellier, France when I logged it, but am "from" the U.S.

Coincidentally, the last time I was in NYC, and just prior to the trip to France, I took my son up to the top of the Empire State building and found the virtual there. While up on the observation platform I met a young couple from Munich that was "stranded" in Manhattan due to the closure of the air space caused by that volcano in Iceland. I don't think they were geocachers and they didn't seem too disappointed that they *had* to spend a few extra days in NYC. I left a few days later for a conference in Montpellier and fortunately was not impacted by either the air space closure nor the train strike in France. I had two train trips on my itinerary that I was not sure would be running but got news that the strike ended on the day I left.

Yes, you live in the tourist mecca of NYC, I live near the tourist mecca of Niagara Falls. I've seen dozens, maybe hundreds of "Greetings from Germany" logs posted to caches in and around Niagara Falls. Now if you see one for a virtual cache in Oklahoma, I'd say there's like a 99.99% chance it's armchair logging. :D

Yes, you live in the tourist mecca of NYC, I live near the tourist mecca of Niagara Falls. I've seen dozens, maybe hundreds of "Greetings from Germany" logs posted to caches in and around Niagara Falls. Now if you see one for a virtual cache in Oklahoma

I think that's a perfectly fair distinction that changes the odds considerably.

Yes, you live in the tourist mecca of NYC, I live near the tourist mecca of Niagara Falls. I've seen dozens, maybe hundreds of "Greetings from Germany" logs posted to caches in and around Niagara Falls. Now if you see one for a virtual cache in Oklahoma

I think that's a perfectly fair distinction that changes the odds considerably.

Don't want to take that leap for 99.99% chance, eh? :D

When I get a "greetings from Germany" log I admit that I immediately consider it suspect. Most of the time it turns out to be legit, but still I can't get over the alarm bells that the term sets off.

I asked this guy about it and he said his sofa is very quick. :D

I just don't get it.

Because there are cheaters in Geocahing like in most any other hobby, sport or politics

German chocolate cake is not German. It was originally "German's chocolate cake". The recipe called for a particular brand of chocolate created by Samuel German. Samuel wasn't German, either.

L I B! I learn something new every day!

Oh... stats. Give accountholders the ability to hide them. Ignore them. Eliminate them. Won't hurt the game one bit. :P

I like them, have them in my profile, though they are far from accurate. But I wouldn't miss them. :D

Yes, you live in the tourist mecca of NYC, I live near the tourist mecca of Niagara Falls. I've seen dozens, maybe hundreds of "Greetings from Germany" logs posted to caches in and around Niagara Falls. Now if you see one for a virtual cache in Oklahoma, I'd say there's like a 99.99% chance it's armchair logging. :D

Don't bet your life on it. Germans are some of the best traveled people in the world. Anytime there is a plane wreck or a natural disaster it seems 99.99% of the time a German dies in it.

Back in the early 90's there was a band in Florida called "The Dead German Tourists".

Edited by GermanyBert
Don't bet your life on it. Germans are some of the best traveled people in the world.

As a cache owner with a drawer full of log books, this has been my experience.

The cache I was discussing before has been found by about as many Germans as New Yorkers, even though most New Yorkers live, oh, about 3500-4000 miles closer. (Yes, more people live in Germany than New York, but STILL.)

You can thank couch potato loggers for a percentage of that angst.

A minuscule percentage, at best. The way I see it;

1 ) BillyBob creates a virtual cache way back when.

2 ) BillyBob drops out of the game, ignoring his maintenance responsibilities.

3 ) Bubba & friends log bogus finds.

4 ) Groundspeak takes umbrage at BillyBob for not maintaining their cache, and Bubba for the bogus log.

5 ) Groundspeak archives the listing.

I'll not take up arms against Bubba because Groundspeak likes killing flies with sledgehammers.

The most Bubba will get from me is the ole eyeroll, and maybe some snickering behind my hand.

Bubba should be banned from geocaching for a year.