A different bug

Guest TresOkies

Guest TresOkies

So, I'm sitting here with my tags and trying to think up something cool to do with them. Did I mention that I'm having a cold beer...

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=56

I'll be placing some of the normal type travel bugs, but this corner of the world doesn't get a lot of traffic. I'll have to plant mine when I travel.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

Good idea! Couldn't be glass, though. Maybe I'll turn one on the lathe. I have 2 prized copper beer mugs that I wouldn't part with for any reason, but I might find a duplicate.

Another thought. Take the mug, take it home, wash it, drink a beer from it, wash it, put it in a new cache somewhere...

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest madphatboy2

What about creating a regular cache (ammo can style) and attach the TB to that. Then you can have a TB cache. People can still trade and log, but instead of putting it IN another cache, just set NEXT to another cache. This may be an interesting twist on things. Just my .02.

MPB2 icon_smile.gif

Guest madphatboy2

What about creating a regular cache (ammo can style) and attach the TB to that. Then you can have a TB cache. People can still trade and log, but instead of putting it IN another cache, just set NEXT to another cache. This may be an interesting twist on things. Just my .02.

MPB2 icon_smile.gif

Guest T-storm

How about, in addition to drinking a beer from the mug, ask folks to save the label from the bottle and put it in a baggie so that the labels accumulate as the mug travels. Be flexible of course... logo from the carton, homemade label or simply the brew's name and short description for a homebrew, etc....

Hmmm... maybe a nice barleywine or a Mackeson or a Yellow Rose Wildcatter Crude Stout. I think all our Brambleberry Stout is gone, but if it isn't it's probably far too old to be good. I'll be watching for this one!

T-storm

------------------

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Guest TresOkies

quote:
Originally posted by T-storm:

.I think all our Brambleberry Stout is gone, but if it isn't it's probably far too old to be good. I'll be watching for this one!

Good, because I think it will start in Ft. Worth this weekend. I'm in Austin today and I'm heading back to Okieland tomorrow. I think I'll spend some time today searching for a suitable container.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest T-storm

quote:
Originally posted by TresOkies:

Good, because I think it will start in Ft. Worth this weekend. I'm in Austin today and I'm heading back to Okieland tomorrow. I think I'll spend some time today searching for a suitable container.

-E

Oooo, ooooo.... hurry, HURRY! I'm leaving town on Sunday for a trip to Houston. If I can catch it before I go I'll grab it, enjoy it, and take it with me! Otherwise I may be gone long enough that someone else will get it first, darn it!

------------------

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by madphatboy2:

MPB2 icon_smile.gif

I think you might be on to something ... but there could be some issues. Let's say you set up the initial cache/cache page laying out what it is and how to log it. First person takes cache ... logs find/gets credit on cache page ... then logs the bug/tag page with the new cache coordinates when he places ... it would be a little misleading ... say the original cache starts in NC and now the cache is in say Miss. The problem would be how to let people in Miss. Know it's in their area. That could be the problem ... once it made it's way out of the area. I think you'd then get a situation where it's gone AWOL ... no one in it's new area knows it's around. Someone looking in NC and seeing the cache reads far enough sees it in Miss. ... I doubt if they would make the trip to find it. That would be a tough factor to overcome. But I like the idea. Any thoughts as how to make it work?

3245_600.gif

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by madphatboy2:

MPB2 icon_smile.gif

I think you might be on to something ... but there could be some issues. Let's say you set up the initial cache/cache page laying out what it is and how to log it. First person takes cache ... logs find/gets credit on cache page ... then logs the bug/tag page with the new cache coordinates when he places ... it would be a little misleading ... say the original cache starts in NC and now the cache is in say Miss. The problem would be how to let people in Miss. Know it's in their area. That could be the problem ... once it made it's way out of the area. I think you'd then get a situation where it's gone AWOL ... no one in it's new area knows it's around. Someone looking in NC and seeing the cache reads far enough sees it in Miss. ... I doubt if they would make the trip to find it. That would be a tough factor to overcome. But I like the idea. Any thoughts as how to make it work?

3245_600.gif

Guest Markwell

>quote:

Originally posted by Hawk-eye

I think you might be on to something ...

Any thoughts as how to make it work?

Sorry for the length of this post - trying to flesh out ideas as I'm typing.

I originally saw two options, but one was extremely complicated and required setting up a travel bug page and a cache page tongue.gif . The option listed below is MUCH easier to implement and understand.

Parasitic Travel Bug

This could be a small ammo box (or the like) with a travel bug that always sits next to another cache. Call it "Symbiosis" or "Parasite."

Pros:

• Don't have to set up an additional cache page.
  • You never have to worry about people not reading the cache page fully to see where it is as the Travel Bug would indicate the box's last known coordiantes.

Cons:

• The cache cannot sit alone, which would be kinda cool
  • The finder doesn't get a "found" credit for finding a cache (but then again - it was right next to the other one) rolleyes.gif

How it would play out:

1. I go out to find Cache A, which has the Parasitic TB Cache right next to it. I find both caches in the woods and head back home with the Parasite in my hands.
  2. Log Cache A, "grabing" Parasitic TB Cache
  3. While still at home, I would exchange items, sign log book, etc., at my leisure.
  4. Take the Parasitic TB Cache with me when I go to find Cache B and set it right next to Cache B
  5. Go back to my computer to log it as being dropped off in Cache B.

Still a work in progress - but getting kinda neat.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 25 January 2002).]

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye

I think you might be on to something ...

Any thoughts as how to make it work?

Sorry for the length of this post - trying to flesh out ideas as I'm typing.

I originally saw two options, but one was extremely complicated and required setting up a travel bug page and a cache page tongue.gif . The option listed below is MUCH easier to implement and understand.

Parasitic Travel Bug

This could be a small ammo box (or the like) with a travel bug that always sits next to another cache. Call it "Symbiosis" or "Parasite."

Pros:

• Don't have to set up an additional cache page.
  • You never have to worry about people not reading the cache page fully to see where it is as the Travel Bug would indicate the box's last known coordiantes.

Cons:

• The cache cannot sit alone, which would be kinda cool
  • The finder doesn't get a "found" credit for finding a cache (but then again - it was right next to the other one) rolleyes.gif

How it would play out:

1. I go out to find Cache A, which has the Parasitic TB Cache right next to it. I find both caches in the woods and head back home with the Parasite in my hands.
  2. Log Cache A, "grabing" Parasitic TB Cache
  3. While still at home, I would exchange items, sign log book, etc., at my leisure.
  4. Take the Parasitic TB Cache with me when I go to find Cache B and set it right next to Cache B
  5. Go back to my computer to log it as being dropped off in Cache B.

Still a work in progress - but getting kinda neat.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 25 January 2002).]

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

.... Still a work in progress - but getting kinda neat.

Not bad ... the only thing ... just thinking off the top of my head would be that someone might find the par.cache and think it's the one they were looking for ... in the case of a location where you couldn't nest the two together ... I know a couple like that.

But I like the idea ... let's keep working on it. Maybe someone can add something to the thought process.

3245_600.gif

Is this cache sort of like the one being proposed? I have been watching this one in the hopes of someday being somewhere in the same region as it is so that I might log it. If you create a similar one, I may have to watch it also.

Guest TresOkies

ouston. If I can catch it before I go I'll grab it, enjoy it, and take it with me! Otherwise I may be gone long enough that someone else will get it first, darn it!

Sorry T-Storm. I got through Ft. Worth too late this evening and I just wanted to get home to my family. I'll work it out next trip through the Metro.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

quote:
Originally posted by T-storm:

Oooo, ooooo.... hurry, HURRY! I'm leaving town on Sunday for a trip to Houston. If I can catch it before I go I'll grab it, enjoy it, and take it with me! Otherwise I may be gone long enough that someone else will get it first, darn it!

Sorry T-Storm. I got through Ft. Worth too late this evening and I just wanted to get home to my family. I'll work it out next trip through the Metro.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

I think Markwell is on to something. The only real downside I see is the size of the parasite travel bug...an ammo can is not small, and may not be possible to hide it next to the cache. One possibility is to note in the travel bug log or the cache log is the location of the parasite TB ("Travel bug is 15 paces north under the oak tree visible from this location"). I don't think it would really be mistaken for the actual cache, especially if you clearly mark it as a TB

and have a TB tag on it. Also a clearly visible instruction sheet (not just some instructions in the logbook).

Guest Markwell

I also note again that the other downside is that the parasite TB can not stand. The only way to overcome that is that each time the cache sits by itself the owner would need to set up a temporary cache page for each stand-alone location and once the moving cache is moved - the cache page would need to be archived. FAR too complicated.

I only said ammo can because of the durability. Anyone got a suggestion on a smaller container that might be as durable that could either sit in or right near another cache?

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

I do not think you would have to continually archive and repost the cache. Both the Wapehani Traveller and Joy Rider exist without constantly archiving their pages. Joy Rider is more like the cache/bug being proposed here. The biggest thing these two cache do is post whether the cache is hidden or whether it is travelling. Joy Rider is a microcache, so it probably fits inside most other caches.

Maybe something like a Nalgene bottle,

1pt or 1qt size. They are quite durable, waterproof, easy to open, small enough to fit in some cache boxes, but can sit next to it too.

Guest Markwell

Remember we're talking about having the Travel bug portion of the website track the actual locations, so the caches that it's linked to cannot move. If I had an accompanying cache page (this is only for the Travel Bug like we're talking about)...

Whenever I moved the coordinates for the accompanying cache page, it would move the map and location of all the previous times it was there, too. It's hard to explain, but I'm pretty sure that as a Travel Bug, you can't use an accompanying cache page to hold coordinates and still have it track effectively through the Geocaching system.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

I think we need to clarify something...while we call this a traveling cache, its technically a travel bug. The traveling cache will have the normal cache contents. The only difference would be the instructions that explain what it is, and perhaps a request log all the cache sights its been at by its nickname and waypoint, and perhaps the coords.

On a related note, how about the camera in such a cache? perhaps include a padded envelope with prepaid postage good for anywhere in the US, or a request to contact the originator of the cache about the camera when it gets full. Other ideas?

Guest Markwell

DANG! I knew the idea was too good to be original. I know I've seen this cache before, and it must have just stuck in my brain. Subconsciously, I knew it was a good idea and naturally ( icon_wink.gif) thought it was my own.

Appears to be doing quite well, but I'd suggest that MudBug update the date hidden (or maybe he just uses an old date while it's in transit).

One thing to note, though - this was NOT set up as a Travel Bug, but as a moving cache with a cache page. My idea is specifically for a parasitic bug.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 29 January 2002).]

Guest Markwell

DANG! I knew the idea was too good to be original. I know I've seen this cache before, and it must have just stuck in my brain. Subconsciously, I knew it was a good idea and naturally ( icon_wink.gif) thought it was my own.

Appears to be doing quite well, but I'd suggest that MudBug update the date hidden (or maybe he just uses an old date while it's in transit).

One thing to note, though - this was NOT set up as a Travel Bug, but as a moving cache with a cache page. My idea is specifically for a parasitic bug.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 29 January 2002).]

What happend to the Beer talk back at the first? I am confused now after reading all these posts all I want to know when and where the traveling mug is going to start so I can break it in!!! Lets get this going. Jim/WM5L

Guest TresOkies

quote:
Originally posted by WM5L:

What happend to the Beer talk back at the first? I am confused now after reading all these posts all I want to know when and where the traveling mug is going to start so I can break it in!!! Lets get this going. Jim/WM5L

We had a major winter storm through OK last week and I was offline. I;m in CA this week at a conference and I think I'll plant it here. The first mug will be at the Tied House in San Jose this evening.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

"Springer" the traveling beer mug has a new home.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=418

Starting out in California, Springer hopes to see the great beer centers of the world before retiring to Oklahoma.

Springer has a brother named "Dango" who will start from the midwest/southwest and see the world as well. Dango is a few weeks behind his brother, though. Keep watching this thread...

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631