Is anyone else getting a bit miffed....

Pharisee

We log 99% of our finds from our iPhones, but we always write a log of some description. We also write TFTC at the end of most of our logs - unless we didn't particularly enjoy the cache. At the end of the day it would be nice to have lovely written long logs for every find but it ain't going to happen. I prefer people writing a bit about their hunt for our caches, but if they want to log it with "." or 'sent from my mobile device.' then that's fine too. Its their log, not mine.

(and if they just write TFTC I take it as a complement as, after all, they are saying thank you.)

I came across what must be the ultimate insult regarding cache logs a while back. The cacher had done a series and also, as often happens, found a few nearby caches that weren't par of the series and were, indeed, hidden by a different cacher from the the series setter. Identical cut and paste logs were written for all the caches in the series and the exact same log was put on the ones which weren't part of the series. The logs even thanked the series setter by name! I thought what a nice feeling the setters of the non-series caches must have had :)

Without hesitation I'd delete a log like that on my cache... :laughing:

Obviously hasn't found it, and just doing copy/paste on any/all caches in the area! :D

:)

I'm sure they found the other caches that were not in the series. I just feel that, after someone has put the time and effort into setting a cache, a few seconds acknowledging them individually isn't asking too much.

A hot topic; well done John! :)

As solly says, it's nice to give a memorable cache a bit of a write-up and while few caches from a giant ring will stand out as special, I do think it's important to achknowledge the owner's effort in putting them out. waterlogged and unmaintained micros, less so :laughing: (I don't mean the Just Northampton series which i) aren't micros and ii) apart from a muggled one I found in a puddle, were dry and fine)

I'd usually say 'caches get the logs they deserve' but smart-phone logging does rather skew this; cachers in a hurry hit 'Found. Send' and all the setter -or anyone reading the cache pages- learns is that the cache is (probably!) there to be found. It's something, it's better than nothing, but it aint much. Lack of tech-savy, lack of time, lack of inclination, lack of writing ability or lack of good manners; there are a lot of possible reasons/excuses [delete as applicable] for short/bland logs.

As hiders we can only hope to hide caches worthy of good logs (by good I mean useful feedback, a funny story or photos -a personal favourite of mine is seeing snaps taken at some of my hides/events) and as a community we should encourage 'logging etiquette' by setting a good example ourselves. It took me almost as long to log the 103 caches as it did to find them, lol!

Demanding something of loggers, be that praise, poetry or passion, is to demand too much. Hope for it by all means, even ask for it on the cache page (following ALR rules, naturally) but you have to accept '.' is all the feedback some people may wish to give you. And avoid finding their (presumably) 'co-ords only' nano hides in sweet revenge! :D:)

Demanding something of loggers, be that praise, poetry or passion, is to demand too much.

Agreed!

...but you have to accept '.' is all the feedback some people may wish to give you.

It's not necessarily that they do that because it's all they wish to give you, it's more that they didn't realise that you're supposedly meant to "give" anything to the cache owner.

Perhaps they like to go out and find a cache or three, and each time they find one they sign the log book and mark it as "Found" on the web site so they know which ones they haven't yet found. Simple as that.

I don't cache like that but I don't see why others shouldn't be allowed to. Many people would just pack in altogether if they were obliged to write even a sentence to prove that they "appreciate" each cache.

I get the impression that some would rather 1 lengthy log in a month instead of 25 short ones plus 1 lengthy one. The reason that looks like an ego trip is that they take the 25 short logs as 25 insults, and are only interested in the one that says what a fantastic time was had, thanks to the wonderful cache. My view of it would be that 26 people recorded their visit and one of them likes writing a bit more detail. No more, no less.

If some people find hiding caches such a bind, but do it out of a selfless wish to contribute to the community and then find it annoying when few people seem to appreciate their efforts, then I humbly suggest that they retrieve their caches and stick to finding instead. It's supposed to be fun!

I think the one the OP was talking about comes from Geocache navigator, a symbian app, I use it on my Nokia E71 to geocache.

If you choose log as found option on the app when out in the field it adds a default log message to yuor field notes in geocaching.com.

The app doesn't let you change this default text. having said that i always delete it when i actually log it properly on the website, doesn't take long to write something apt.

I think the one the OP was talking about comes from Geocache navigator, a symbian app, I use it on my Nokia E71 to geocache.

If you choose log as found option on the app when out in the field it adds a default log message to yuor field notes in geocaching.com.

The app doesn't let you change this default text. having said that i always delete it when i actually log it properly on the website, doesn't take long to write something apt.

The problem however is, as a CO you get one notification for the found log, not one for every edit. On the bright side I have seen quite a few peeps here at least mention that they will write a full log later on whilst logging in the field (mostly during ftf's but still...).

The problem however is, as a CO you get one notification for the found log, not one for every edit. On the bright side I have seen quite a few peeps here at least mention that they will write a full log later on whilst logging in the field (mostly during ftf's but still...).

When i mark as found on the app it doesn't log, but adds to my field notes, it doesn't add to logs until i log in on geocaching.com and compose the log from that, which is when i overtype the default msg.

I didn't think a field note sent a notification to the CO?

When i mark as found on the app it doesn't log, but adds to my field notes, it doesn't add to logs until i log in on geocaching.com and compose the log from that, which is when i overtype the default msg.

Sorry, misread your post, thought you were talking about logging in the field.

Sorry, misread your post, thought you were talking about logging in the field.

On the iPhone at least, there are two options for logging in the field. You can either upload the log directly to GC, as a find, and then (maybe!) edit that log later, OR you can upload as a field note, and then access your field notes in GC.com to create the proper online log. This is what we do, as it allows us to record the find in the field (and therefore not miss one out) but we don't have to write a full log in the field - I can do that from the comfort of my sofa!

I think a lot of people send a proper found log from the field, maybe without any comment, because this is the default behaviour for the iphone - we had to go throuh the settings and tell it to only upload field notes. Maybe if the app was adjusted so that the default was field notes not online logs, it might go a long way to helping!

dave

Can anyone beat this log for brevity? :laughing:

Apparently

"This log has already been nominated as a Lost & Found story" :D

It must come into the "Lost story" category :wub:

(just noticed, keehotee nominated it - very good :rolleyes:;):) )

Probably fall out from last nights upgrade on the web site - I've noticed a few odd logs posted from around then, I think they maybe let us all back in a bit too early!

ENJ

As a newby to geocaching (2 months and just over 100 Caches), we have been guilty of just loggin without leaving a comment, after reading this post I know realise this is rude and I will endever to leave some message of gratitude in the future! :)

In my defence I would like to explain that whilst we are lookng into buying a GPS device at the momment we are relying on the Iphone app, which is often very furstrating when the online signal is continually dropping in and out or app is freezing completely! im usually so happy to actually get to the log screen that I just click found it and send before the signal drops out again! Also the iphone battery whilst using the geocaching app only lasts just over an hour and a half so have been trying to do as much as poss before it turns itself off!

I have realised the error of my ways however and will from now on always at least thank the owner of the cache, sorry for any offence caused B)

In my defence I would like to explain that whilst we are lookng into buying a GPS device at the momment we are relying on the Iphone app, which is often very furstrating when the online signal is continually dropping in and out or app is freezing completely! im usually so happy to actually get to the log screen that I just click found it and send before the signal drops out again! Also the iphone battery whilst using the geocaching app only lasts just over an hour and a half so have been trying to do as much as poss before it turns itself off!

I have realised the error of my ways however and will from now on always at least thank the owner of the cache, sorry for any offence caused B)

Does the iPhone not have a fieldnotes feature?

If you used that, mobile signal wouldn't be an issue and you could make just enough notes to remind you of the cache.

Then when you get home, you can upload the fieldnotes to gc.com, then run through them and edit before pressing the 'post' button.

I have the same problem sometimes with my HTC in low signal areas, it can be frustrating waiting to get a good signal to post logs. So now I have pretty much switched to making field notes when, erm, in the field and uploading them back at home. It also helps sort out any typos as you can edit the logs on a proper keyboard.

That way, I have enough info in the fieldnotes to jog my memory of a particular cache, and can then expand on it if I wish once the day's events have fully played out.

Not really even to do with length of logs, just a more relaxed way of dealing with logs, avoiding standing in the cold waiting for a connection to gc.com and having the best of both worlds in terms of logging while fresh in the mind but also being able tell a longer story if you want to.

I'm not saying whether you need to write long logs, short logs, or TFTC logs, that's up to you, just pointing out an alternative way of dealing with the 'logging in the field' problems. :)

As a newby to geocaching (2 months and just over 100 Caches), we have been guilty of just loggin without leaving a comment, after reading this post I know realise this is rude and I will endever to leave some message of gratitude in the future! :)

We log 99% of our finds from our iPhones, normally from GZ. If there is no signal we still write the log up in full there and then, but then click 'save and close'. We then send them either when we get a good signal, or when we get home. Because we often attach pictures to our logs they can take ages to send over cellular or 3G signal. ( that's our favourite feature on the app - being able to attach pics to our logs there and then. )

***Written on my mobile device*** :) :)

Actually... that's made me think.

Logging in the field is a fairly new phenomenon. Well, except for the WAP site which was clunky and I found impossible to use.

Is it better that someone puts "Logged from my Phone" on a log and then 6 months later fills out a full description or is it better to not log at all, then log 6 months later?

I can see this having beneficial advantages to those with Geocoins or TBs who are trying to trace who might have their item. Also, it helps when a couple of Newbies DNF a cache, when the CO knows that actually it was found on the same day by someone who logged it by mobile device.

Yep there is a save feature which I often use to try and preserve battery life as switching from page to page zaps the power even faster, from now on I will always write a log, didnt realise the protocol before B)

Oh we have just (ten minutes ago) brought a Dakota 10 on ebay!! SOOOO excited I just needed to tell somebody!!! :) So hopefully battery life will no longer be an issue :)

This topic has been very interesting. We use an iPhone as we don't yet have a GPS unit (we are in the process of getting one). The iPhone is so useful; it usually takes us straight-ish to the correct place and after a bit of scrabbling around we find the cache. The best bit is that we can log that we have found it straight away. Generally we will write a short log for our own benefit so we can save it and move on. After doing this for the day's finds we write longer logs and then post them.

Occasionally I can see how just posting 'TFTC' is easier, but after reading the comment here, personally I will always do my best to post a little more than that. If it were my cache I would love people to put as much information down as possible.