Uk based unique travelbug?

UKCacheMag

I dont see what the issue is - its a genuine code, im a physical object that can be seen touch and moved. I can attend events and as such "dropped off" or "dipped" to caches.

That's fine, meet and greet is always the best. You don't want to post the number online for virtual logging. There are bad people who will share it with a host of others, sometimes Grabbing your bug away and dropping into distant caches. You don't want that hassle.

Hmm. I've written my Northern Planisphere's tracking code on the physical log sheet of one of my caches (edit: this one - http://coord.info/GC1YJ4N). I wanted to reward anyone that visits the cache with the icon, see. Setting aside the fact that no visitor thus far has been so morally corrupt as to take advantage of this, I'd like to know how strongly BlueDeuce and others feel about it.

Edited by I!

Hmm. I've written my Northern Planisphere's tracking code on the physical log sheet of one of my caches (edit: this one - http://coord.info/GC1YJ4N). I wanted to reward anyone that visits the cache with the icon, see. Setting aside the fact that no visitor thus far has been so morally corrupt as to take advantage of this, I'd like to know how strongly BlueDeuce and others feel about it.

That's not virtually posting the number, that's more of a proxy that people have to go and get the number for themselves. I don't log travelers that I don't move/assist but I'm sure others have no problem logging it.

Eartha's warning is mainly to address not posting other people's numbers, because numbers have been abused and had to be locked. I believe the crack down started when someone virtually Grabbed away Jeremy's wife's travel bug.

The other time I see bugs locked is when someone sends out 52 bugs all with the same number.

I don't think gc.com is overly concerned about the occasional sharing of your own number, but when it comes to something like a tattoo travel bug I'd probably keep close tabs on it, and stay away from posting the number online.

Edited by BlueDeuce
Eartha's warning is mainly to address not posting other people's numbers, because numbers have been abused and had to be locked. I believe the crack down started when someone virtually Grabbed away Jeremy's wife's travel bug.

The other time I see bugs locked is when someone sends out 52 bugs all with the same number.

I don't think gc.com is overly concerned about the occasional sharing of your own number, but when it comes to something like a tattoo travel bug I'd probably keep close tabs on it, and stay away from posting the number online.

This raises issues similar to the debate about using biometric data to identify people. Once your data is out there, you can't change it. So if your TB number ever got sent round on a "let's take the mick out of DidingDJ" e-mail, you could find yourself being bogus logged all round the world, with the only remedy being to buy a new TB and have the new number replace the old.

I dont see what the issue is - its a genuine code, im a physical object that can be seen touch and moved. I can attend events and as such "dropped off" or "dipped" to caches.

What if someone decides to put you in a cache? Bet you hadn't thought of that. It could be the bonus cache of a long puzzle / series - you could be there for months. Plus - what are you going to do for food whilst you're inside? You can't have food in a cache. And to top it all, with most caches (it seems) these days being micros in random uninteresting places, you may end up sitting in a cachers bag for months - before they can find a suitable cache to put you in............... :yikes:

What if someone decides to put you in a cache? Bet you hadn't thought of that. It could be the bonus cache of a long puzzle / series - you could be there for months. Plus - what are you going to do for food whilst you're inside? You can't have food in a cache. And to top it all, with most caches (it seems) these days being micros in random uninteresting places, you may end up sitting in a cachers bag for months - before they can find a suitable cache to put you in............... :yikes:

:sad::laughing:

Link to details of how to get a tattoo icon on geocaching.com's facebook page.

And for those who don't do facebook...

"14 October 2010. Geocaching.com Breaking news: A unique icon for Travel Bug tattoos is now available! We need to switch the icon manually. If you have a TB tattoo, please email a pic (file size less than 1 MB) and the tracking code to pr@Groundspeak.com. The subject line should read "Tattoo" Thanks for the suggestion!"

MrsB (no, I won't be getting one)

... and I've just noticed that we've got the tattoo icon on our profile under Trackables Moved/Discovered, thanks to leemc80 who we discovered over a year ago. :D

Edited by The Blorenges

I wonder if there should be a dog icon rather than a dog tag icon for the growing number of TBs attached to canine collars.

IIRC Chester the dog was a TB and I recently discovered another TB when its human introduced it to me. It would be good if all variations on TBs were listed at the top of the "trackables" page, followed by all the varieties of geocoin.

I wonder if there should be a dog icon rather than a dog tag icon for the growing number of TBs attached to canine collars.

IIRC Chester the dog was a TB and I recently discovered another TB when its human introduced it to me. It would be good if all variations on TBs were listed at the top of the "trackables" page, followed by all the varieties of geocoin.

He certainly is TBGR00 :D

Hmm special GeoDog icon, I could definitely go for that.

I also have a chirpchip, can this be read by an Oregon?

Supercute!

lordy I miss having fluffy pups :D

Dill is a TB too, as the Noodley one knows. However, he lost the tag on one of his recent escapes from our garden. I guess he knew it had his name, address and phone number written on it. i must locate the spare tag...

and update his photo!

Oi, how many times have I told you to keep your muddy paws off of my keboard :(

One or two people here may know that I recently acquired a kilt (a workman's kilt from the US, not a Scottish one with yards and yards of wool). As well as breaking the ice at parties, it's actually extremely practical for caching: all your stuff that normally needs a rucksack fits in the capacious pockets, and if you need to scramble over a gate, it's a lot easier than with sloppy jeans on. (True, fields of brambles can be a little tricky.)

The kilt's manufacturers are in Seattle, and I thought it might be a neat promotion for them and Groundspeak to make trackable kilts. I called them and they knew about geocaching, and even told me that they had customers who got together to go caching in a kilted group! They said they'd take the idea to Groundspeak; we'll see if anything comes of it.

By the way, when I had the idea for making the kilt trackable, I only thought of embroidering the tracking number on one of the back pockets, since it's blank and the other back pocket has the maker's name on it. But when I mentioned the basic idea to a couple of (female) cachers, they both said "Oooh! You could put it on the inside!", with what looked very much like a glint in the eye. :antenna: