microSD for 62s

jlw82

Going to order a 62s this day, without any maps; going to use Custom maps to start out with, and if that is not enough I'll get maps for 275 dollar. (expensive!)

To the question: Does the Speed of the MicroSD card matter? I've seen there are many quality's; cheap and a bit more expensive that can handle transfer speed of 20 mb/sec. I want little as possible lag when zooming/using the map.

Ideas what to get?

Going to order a 62s this day, without any maps; going to use Custom maps to start out with, and if that is not enough I'll get maps for 275 dollar. (expensive!)

To the question: Does the Speed of the MicroSD card matter? I've seen there are many quality's; cheap and a bit more expensive that can handle transfer speed of 20 mb/sec. I want little as possible lag when zooming/using the map.

Ideas what to get?

I own an OR300 and a 60CSX, so this may not be 100% accurate, but I generally don't zoom and pan much on either unit. The only time I do that sort of thing is when I'm checking out a map that's on the other side of the continent. But I do pan and zoom a lot on my PC. If you are using BaseCamp to view maps from your 62s you bought from Garmin or a third party and you had a slow chip that would be a drag. Of course, you wouldn't have any choice of chip speed, so that wouldn't matter.

At 20 MB/Second the entire City Navigator NT North America should transfer in about 60 seconds. It takes more than 10 minutes to a USB2 card reader, and 45 minutes to my 60CSX, so I doubt that your chip speed will be a limiting factor.

$275 seems a steep price for routable maps, when you can get City Navigator NA from Amazon for under $100. Are they USD you are using?

For non-routable maps (and a few routable ones) try GPSfileDepot.

For free routable maps try http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Be careful using the garmin.na1400.info maps in the US. The roads were generated from a mass import of census bureau data that is loaded with small errors. These are being corrected by volunteers, but they may not have done much in some areas.

Thanks for the answer,

The maps here in Sweden are very expensive, and our terrain (1:50 000) map don't have car routing feature (not 100% sure, but almost). Will use the maps mainly for finding the best way home when I pick mushrooms, berries, biking, hiking... But until I get the maps I will use custom maps. I really think im going to zoom pan and zoom some, to find to best way home when im 3-4 hours into the forest.

Thanks for the links!