Night Caching in Cemeteries.

Here in Kentucky or near & around where we live we can hide caches around Cemeteries as long as they are not hid on or around Headstones or the likes. So our caches are hid near the fence roll or in the woods nearby. We have put in the listings for these type of hides & some others that No Night Caching is allowed or they can't be hunted 24/7. Our question is. If a cacher does hunt these caches at nite & state it in their log's they found them at night. As a owner of said Cache/s do I have the right to delete their log as they are not hunting the cache by the rules we have set forth for that listing?? We don't want to be A Holes, But when cachers are getting stopped or asked why they their during the nite hours, It's giving the rest of us a Bad Name,,isn't it??

If it were me I would send them an e-mail asking them to edit the log.

If the log wasn't edited in a reasonable amount of time I would delete the log.

+1

I had a cache that was activated late afternoon in a park that closes at sundown. The FTF log clearly states it was hunted after sundown. I asked the finder to edit the log to remove reference about the night hunt. I did not state in my email that I would delete the log if my wishes were not complied with. Happily I did not need to take a draconian step and did thank the finder for their cooperation.

I did one in a cemetery last night with 3 others at half past midnight.

In your case, the cache page has attributes that CLEARLY state its available 24/7.

Besides, the OP is discussing cemetery caches where attributes CLEARLY state it is NOT available 24/7 and within the text in the description. In the US, many municipalities make it illegal to be in parks/cemeteries from sundown to sunrise.

To OP, its really unfortunately when people ignore whats written, I have had a few skirmishes with police and ornery muggles in daylight. I would definitely ask those who logged caches stating they did it at night to alter the log. Deleting as a last resort, may open a war, if they refuse to alter the log, I would post a note to let others know that finding the cache at night is frowned upon or even illegal (if it is in your area).

Good luck!

I always thought cemetary caches were meant to be done at night for the sheer creepiness of it. I have done cemetary caches during the day and at night and they are much more enjoyable to do in the darkness for some strange reason. Nothing to be afraid of but there is still that rush that you get. I probably saw too many Romero flicks. Though, there are a few in the area here that close at night which is respected.

the next rule will be you can only find this cache on a specific day of the week!

If the land on which the cache is hidden is closed to entry the other 6 days of the week, then yeah, the same would apply to that cache.

We have a park in my area with a gate that is closed at night and on some holidays. And entry is only allowed when the gate is open. I also know of a virtual that is on the grounds of a museum that is only open two days a month at specific times. Finding the virtual outside of these times would be frowned upon (trespassing).

I believe in Illinois there is a law on the books stating that cemeteries are closed from sundown to sunup unless otherwise stated by the cemetery association. I don't know of any at all that are open during the night-time hours in our county.

Of course, I might be wrong about there being a law but my poor excuse of a brain is screaming there is a law.

I believe in Illinois there is a law on the books stating that cemeteries are closed from sundown to sunup unless otherwise stated by the cemetery association. I don't know of any at all that are open during the night-time hours in our county.

Of course, I might be wrong about there being a law but my poor excuse of a brain is screaming there is a law.

Being from Illinois originally I can understand why you think this. But now that I am living five hours north Of the three cemeteries in town none have gates or fences.

As for caches all three have at least one in them. Although my personal preference is to only do them if there is meaning behind them. I did do one that was in honer of a fallen solder in Iraq. I did that one on 9-11 and stopped at his grave to pay my respects. The others I will probably pass on.

In Ohio, ORC (state law) allows township trustees and municipalities to regulate the hours of access to

cemeteries. Almost all of them do and it's usually dusk to dawn. Violations are a minor misdemeanor.

The reason for the limited hours is to protect the premises from vandalism, desecration, and other improper usage. One thing to consider is that sometimes there is vandalism and law enforcement may be watching

a cemetery. A geocacher would not know this, but would look suspicious if seen in the cemetery after dark.

Usually any law enforcement officer will take a second look at anyone in a cemetery after dark. They may

choose to watch them for a time, and may ask them what they are doing. The registration of any vehicles will be checked and noted for future reference. In my opinion, this kind of activity does not build the reputation of geocachers. When you become a PITA to local government and law enforcement they will

become less and less cooperative.