Geocaching App for the Droid X

PattiNH

I am really frustrated right now and I just need to know if I am missing something on the app or if it has something to do with being in a remote location - I live in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

Just got the new Droid X this week so part of it might be me getting used to the new technology. I was so looking forward to the Geocaching app for it since I had gone cache-ing with a friend in Florida who had the iPhone app.

This doesn't seem to function anywhere close to what that app did for her. When I ask it to navigate to the cache or to find the nearest caches, it's finding them based on cell towers or something. Right now it's showing the "nearby" geocaches being nearly 10 miles from where I am sitting. Navigating using it is completely useless.

I searched for tutorials on this - and there doesn't seem to be any information at all anywhere. It's like I spent $10 on the app just to have access to the database.

I'd really appreciate any help on this or insight from other Droid X owners who use the app. I keep thinking I'm missing something.

Patti

Er... I don't have a Droid X, but are you sure that the GPS is turned on in your phone?

If you're not sure if the GPS is working, you can also download one of the other (free) GPS type apps, in particular "GPS Test" give a lot of information about GPS reception.

Cheers.

THANK YOU JOHN!!!!

I had no idea I had to turn it on. (They don't send any sort of manual with the Droid X other than a quick start guide) I figured when the phone is on it was on. Will try it tomorrow with a cache up the hill from me that I haven't sought out yet.

:huh:

Patti

It drains the battery pretty quick if the GPS is left on. That's why it defaults as off. The droid x has a dedicated widget for turning the gps on/off too, so it's pretty easy to switch it back and forth. I started caching 5 days ago. All I bring is a pen and my droid x. I've found 24 so far, so it does pretty well.

I still have issues with the signal bouncing around in the woods - I was hoping this would be better in that regard than my eTrex Legend which is probably about 8 years old...

Patti

It drains the battery pretty quick if the GPS is left on. That's why it defaults as off. The droid x has a dedicated widget for turning the gps on/off too, so it's pretty easy to switch it back and forth. I started caching 5 days ago. All I bring is a pen and my droid x. I've found 24 so far, so it does pretty well.

Actually, if you leave the GPS on, that just means that an app that needs/wants the GPS can use it when you start it. Otherwise, its not doing anything. Although there does seem to be a bug on DX where the GPS will keep the phone from sleeping, even if the screen is locked and the GPS isn't actually doing anything. The 2.2 update is supposed to be fixing that when it comes. I leave the GPS on on my DX, and I get plenty of life out of my battery, going on 13 hours and still have 40% left, even with the bug. Now, if you leave Maps or Navigation or something open, that will eat through the battery pretty quick (still not as quick as on my previous iPhone 3Gs).

By the way, maybe give c:geo a try too. I've heard a lot of people say it's actually better than the official Geocaching app.

Actually, if you leave the GPS on, that just means that an app that needs/wants the GPS can use it when you start it. Otherwise, its not doing anything. Although there does seem to be a bug on DX where the GPS will keep the phone from sleeping, even if the screen is locked and the GPS isn't actually doing anything. The 2.2 update is supposed to be fixing that when it comes. I leave the GPS on on my DX, and I get plenty of life out of my battery, going on 13 hours and still have 40% left, even with the bug. Now, if you leave Maps or Navigation or something open, that will eat through the battery pretty quick (still not as quick as on my previous iPhone 3Gs).

By the way, maybe give c:geo a try too. I've heard a lot of people say it's actually better than the official Geocaching app.

Good call.. I love c:geo. Does a great job on my Droid.

Some suggestions....

- Install the HTC Widget called Power Control - simple icons that indicate what functions are on / off (WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, Sync, Brightness)

- use Locale (and associated plugins) to create a Geocaching situation. For me, this means shutting off WiFi, BT, Sync, lowering brightness & enabling GPS

In terms of apps, I;ve tried pretty much all of them out there and c:geo is good for 'on the fly' caching but pretty useless if there is no phone signal. The official app looks good and allows for offline caching but in a clunky way (IMHO) as you have to download the PQ to the phone - I prefer to download to PC then copy to storage card.

My personal favourite apps are Georg (paid) and Geohunter (free). Both give flexibility for online / offline caching but Georg has many more features and is worth the £ as it has (amongst other things) road navigation to the cache, different databases (for different locations), waypoint averaging (for accurately placing caches), etc. It's now the only app I use for caching and have found 40+ caches with it.

Got my Droid X yesterday. Bought the official app a little while ago. Is there a tutoral for it someplace . Do I have to sign in anyplace. I type in my zipcode or do a nearst search and all I see are caches that are already found. Can just a list of unfound caches come up or does it dump every cache in your area at you. Hope I'm just missing something. If not not impressed at all with the app.