A Quick Geocaching Survey

geocachgavin

Let's keep this as a discussion and not as a survey since surveys are not permitted by Groundspeak in accordance with the Forum Guidelines.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules

Here are some things to keep in mind when posting:

9. We generally do not allow surveys to be conducted using this forum.

Please don't start any more "surveys". Discussion topics are fine, though. Thanks.

BTW, why are surveys/polls not allowed?

i would like to know too, this has to be the first forum where you can't create a poll

i don't see the harm, but i have a feeling nobody else knows either, except that the forums rules say so, so this will remain an unanswered question

and to answer OP question: i like them all, size don't matter

Edited by t4e

I prefer a cache with some sort of interesting reason for bringing me to a location. Lonely stretch of woods-interesting. Historical location-interesting. Scenic view-interesting. Walmart parking lot-not interesting. Dumpster behind the bowling alley-very not interesting.

I am in agreement with this as well..

PaneledZero :huh:

All else being completely equal, I prefer small containers. They're big enough to hold signature items (which I trade for and add to my collection), but not so big that I have to wade through a lot of junk trade items to find the interesting signature items.

But all else is not completely equal. The larger the container, the harder it is to hide, and for this reason some of the cache types I especially enjoy tend to be micros, so I like them a lot too.

I prefer a cache with some sort of interesting reason for bringing me to a location. Lonely stretch of woods-interesting. Historical location-interesting. Scenic view-interesting. Walmart parking lot-not interesting. Dumpster behind the bowling alley-very not interesting.

I agree with the old sock :huh: Location Location Location ,doesn't matter micro or 5 gallon bucket

Edited by sabrefan7

I like to move TB's and coins along. There are not too many regular to large caches near my location that have these so I find myself going out of the way more these days to find larger caches with trackables in them. I'll pick up micros and nanos along the way, I just enjoy the larger caches more. :yikes:

I am trying to gather as much geocaching opinion as possible. This is the first of a (hopefully) long line of quick surveys.

What is your favorite cache size?

a. micro

b. small

c. regular

d. large

e. virtual

Post your opinion! :yikes:

I don't see an "All of the above" option, so I won't be able to take this poll.

There are mostly nanos hidden in our suburban area, but I like best to find medium to large containers that hold TB's or geocoins and allow us enough space to drop off one of our signature rubber duckies! Whenever we take our grandchildren caching, they definitely want to look through a container with little toys in it. What I don't like is finding a micro or nano hidden in a wooded area that could hold something larger - that's just a waste of good geocaching space!

Edited by The VanDucks

I hunt all all the sizes but I think the location is the most important.also the amount of effort you have to put in to find a cache is important. An easy grab is not a big satisfaction. A well hide, hard to grab cache is way morefun. The size of the cache has to be perfect for the location. (city: micro, forest: small or bigger)

i would like to know too, this has to be the first forum where you can't create a poll

i don't see the harm,

i could imagine someone, one weekend, starting up about 20 "polls" in an attempt to "get to know" their fellow cachers.

;):D

with the repeating topics (and sometimes rage shown over the stream of "the same question"), i could see how that'd be a real drag to have a dozen polls running

i'm not liking virtuals at all - go here, read this sign, email what the third word is and take a picture of your gps (without showing the sign).... really?

love to find a nano/micro where it is appropriate - not after a long bushwhacking session.

love to find a large, but only have 1 or 2 of those and it was a little too urban of a location to make sense.

I am trying to gather as much geocaching opinion as possible. This is the first of a (hopefully) long line of quick surveys.

What is your favorite cache size?

Most will chuckle when they hear, "size doesn't matter". In this case I present that it is true, size DOES NOT matter.

Totally agree. That being said - all things being equal - I like the "regular" size best. For me not so much for the trading swag, but because they can be used for coins and travel bugs. For my kids, for the swag and because they are typically easier for the kiddos to find. Which sometimes means easier for me to spot, and "suggest" that they check what's under that big chunk of bark...

Totally agree. That being said - all things being equal - I like the "regular" size best. For me not so much for the trading swag, but because they can be used for coins and travel bugs. For my kids, for the swag and because they are typically easier for the kiddos to find. Which sometimes means easier for me to spot, and "suggest" that they check what's under that big chunk of bark...

I like them all except when they're missing. :)

My favorites are micros.

How do you sort through all the chaff? Or are you a fan of parking lots and guardrails?

Most of the micros around here aren't in parking lots or on guardrails. They're in the woods and are more challenging than regulars. I'm not saying there's not junky micros. There are, but so many regulars can be spotted from far away.

A series called "Where the Bison Roam" is a great example. They're all micros hidden along an old dirt road that used be the major through fare years ago. They weren't that hard, but you had to look around a bit to spot them. Once found, retrieving them because another challenge.

I like them all except when they're missing. :)

My favorites are micros.

How do you sort through all the chaff? Or are you a fan of parking lots and guardrails?

Most of the micros around here aren't in parking lots or on guardrails. They're in the woods and are more challenging than regulars. I'm not saying there's not junky micros. There are, but so many regulars can be spotted from far away.

A series called "Where the Bison Roam" is a great example. They're all micros hidden along an old dirt road that used be the major through fare years ago. They weren't that hard, but you had to look around a bit to spot them. Once found, retrieving them because another challenge.

See, this is where so much of the difference is between those who say "my favorite cache is a micro" and those who say "I ignore the micros" comes from. Around here we have "bee" caches and "Double Doubles" in addition to the normal LPCs and guardrails. (Paper boxes and coffee shop LPCs.) The truly clever micros I have come across I could probably count on one hand. Not saying they aren't out there only that they are dang hard to find amongst the multitude of crap. (pun was intended. :laughing: )