Stumble upon...

Waazdag

Ever "discover" an unpublished cache, and go out to hunt the sucker, and actually manage to FIND it?!... LPC's and obvious in town caches would not count... Managed to stumble onto one this afternoon due to an "oops" moment by the CO's transposing the drop locations on trackables... specifically as the FTF on: GC2EGJX

Made my week... may make my whole 2010 geocaching year, :huh:

Not unpublished but...

First cache I ever SAW (didn't log it then since I had not started caching yet) I literally tripped over... it was in a Tourism office near the front door... someone left it pulled out a bit much and I wasn't looking where I was walking as I came in... skinned my shin... It got me caching though and I 'found' it not too long after that...

It's still there... I'm still here but I've become hooked and otherwise changed.

To SS: NOT Cheating! IF you disguised yourself as a muggle!

Doug 7rxc

Twice I have found an unpublished cache while looking for a place to hide one. Once I found a final for a puzzle, again while looking for a place to hide a cache. And once I figured out the mystery final to a series of caches before the whole series of clue caches was released. I wasn't even FTF on that one as someone else did the same thing but had a more favorable work schedule than I did.

I have two this way. One just last weekend. Found a cache at a mine in NV while out 4 wheeling. It had Geocahe and Geocaching.com on it and a log book with several logs from 2007 but no GC#. I posted a tread on the forums, see unlisted cache" but no one could find anything on it. :huh:

The other find was several years ago while walking to a cache I stumbled across another. Signed the log and went on to the cache I was headed for. Turned out that the CO had lost track of his original hide and had placed a replacment with updated coordinates. Emailed the CO but don't remember what happened. Anyway just got one :) for two finds :P

Edited by captnemo

I have read about people finding unpublished caches but never thought it would happen to me. The other day I was out scoping a location for a new cache when I looked over and saw a large tree stump that was hollowed out and I thought "that is a perfect spot for my cache" Imagine my surprise when I find a beach safe container dangling from a branch in MY perfect spot. LOL Clean log and it had a cache name but no "placed by" name or even a "date placed" so I have no idea how long it has been out there. The container looks brand new with no wear and tear so I am hoping it will pop up in my instant notification shortly. I found another location that I measured out from the reading I got at the unpublished cache but I am really close on the distance (520ft). I don't know if the coordinates they got will either help me or hurt me with the proximity guidlines. I might contact the local reviewer to see if they can clue me in on the owner of the cache.

If I can't figure out who the owner is and I don't see the cache published in the next few weeks then I thought I might just try to publish my cache in the exact location of the unpublished one is and see what the reviewers response is. If it gets published then I know the container must have had proximity issues (there are a few archived caches in the area that might have interferred with it if it was placed a long while ago when they were active).

Edited by slukster
Ever "discover" an unpublished cache, and go out to hunt the sucker, and actually manage to FIND it?!... LPC's and obvious in town caches would not count... Managed to stumble onto one this afternoon due to an "oops" moment by the CO's transposing the drop locations on trackables... specifically as the FTF on: GC2EGJX

Made my week... may make my whole 2010 geocaching year, :)

I have heard of it being done before in my area, years ago, in the same way. TB was dropped before the cache was published. Still, well done detective work!

I have read about people finding unpublished caches but never thought it would happen to me. The other day I was out scoping a location for a new cache when I looked over and saw a large tree stump that was hollowed out and I thought "that is a perfect spot for my cache" Imagine my surprise when I find a beach safe container dangling from a branch in MY perfect spot. LOL Clean log and it had a cache name but no "placed by" name or even a "date placed" so I have no idea how long it has been out there. The container looks brand new with no wear and tear so I am hoping it will pop up in my instant notification shortly. I found another location that I measured out from the reading I got at the unpublished cache but I am really close on the distance (520ft). I don't know if the coordinates they got will either help me or hurt me with the proximity guidlines. I might contact the local reviewer to see if they can clue me in on the owner of the cache.

If I can't figure out who the owner is and I don't see the cache published in the next few weeks then I thought I might just try to publish my cache in the exact location of the unpublished one is and see what the reviewers response is. If it gets published then I know the container must have had proximity issues (there are a few archived caches in the area that might have interferred with it if it was placed a long while ago when they were active).

I made contact with my reviewer and they informed me that there is no cache waiting for review at the location I found and there has never been a cache placed there before. Hmm, maybe someone hasn't gotten around to creating a listing for it yet? I will wait another week or so to see if a cache listing pops up there.

Found an unpublished one at 10,300ft high after 5h hiking ... wrote on french forums (didn't write down CO!) and I was told it cannot be published due to proximity rule ... as I knew there were no proximity problems I started looking for CO ... I was lucky, he hide another one near the unpublished (just 1 aditional hour walking :laughing:) so I was able to identify him.

Contacted him and discovered he made a mistake with coordinates so when reviewer told him about proximity he simply decided he cannot publish it! It took a lot of e-mails back and forth to discover the problem, checking carefully detailed maps and so on. Finally he realised the mistake and the cache was published!

It's still waiting for an STF :laughing: on the highest peak on our state :laughing::laughing: and I guess it will have to wait until next spring.

Edited by DeepButi

I HAVE Found a few caches that are either archived or flat out unpublished. While looking for a sign for a recent Earthcache, I found a nano... YES! Those Pesky little stupid pointless nanos... It was Funny. It had 3 other finders I checked in GSAK(in which I have the entire STATE, and assumed that it just wasn't in there for some reason. Ohh well. Once getting to a net connection, I searched the site, and couldn't find it... NO!!! Checked all the sites and I am now waiting for a reviewer to look at the coords...

The Steaks

Similar, but not an unpublished find. When we first moved to Virginia, I was FTF on a published cache with incorrect coordinates, it was a minute west of where it was listed. The listed coords were deep behind "no trespassing" signs, so no one had gone for it. Reading the description, I noted that there were no trails or ponds near the coords, but there were to the west, so plugged it in and went for it, and hey, there it is.

Kelly found the final to a puzzle cache during a CITO event once.

I was at a family reunion at a conservation area last summer. I had a list of all the caches in the area, and did what I could. My niece was canoing when she found a "strange container" stuck in the end of a log in the water (Willy's Woody Walk). She brought the container back to the campsite, and showed it to me. It was a green bison tube, which I opened up, and found a clean roll of paper inside! I told Emily what it was, and asked her to show me where it was so that I can return it. She took me to the spot, I signed the paper, and replaced it.

When I looked at my map of caches in the area, I was surprised to not see it on the map. I recorded the coordinates, and kept checking the area time and time again.

I emailed the local reviewer in the area, but help as he could, we couldn't figure out which cache it was. A month or so later, I checked the map for the area again, and there was the cache!! I emailed the CO, and asked if it was okay for me to log it as a FTF, even though it was not published when I found it. He gave his blessing, and I got my smiley!

I HAVE Found a few caches that are either archived or flat out unpublished. While looking for a sign for a recent Earthcache, I found a nano... YES! Those Pesky little stupid pointless nanos... It was Funny. It had 3 other finders I checked in GSAK(in which I have the entire STATE, and assumed that it just wasn't in there for some reason. Ohh well. Once getting to a net connection, I searched the site, and couldn't find it... NO!!! Checked all the sites and I am now waiting for a reviewer to look at the coords...

The Steaks

SUCCESS!!! It is now published. I contacted a good friend reviewer and he pointed me to a specific cacher. The cache was never published because it was placed as a vacation cache. After talking with the placer, it is now published as one of my caches. I've searched the site for the other finders, and AMAZINGLY 1 of them was on the site only days after finding it and has 0 finds. The other one has his own site, and I've contacted him there. Hopefully they become great cachers!

The Steaks

P.S. Its published as Henry Bourne Joy and the Lincoln Highway(GC2R4RR)

we found a cache that was published 4 years ago but the coords were slightly off, like 7 miles. It got archived. However, it was found accidentally during a new publish and thus, FTF was claimed 4 years after the fact.

Strangely the person who did the NA 4 years ago was the one who got the FTF.