Doggie tie-out spikes

mr.grumpy

Hello. I was wondering what you guys might be using to tie your dog out in open spaces? In most situations it is not allowable for Cooter to just run around if I'm looking for a cache or doing something else. In the woods I can usually find a tree to tie him to but if we are in a field or other open space what can I do? I am thinking some thing like a tent-spike with a snap-ring on it or something. I can't tie him to anything portable since, even though he's just a Jack Russell, he dragged a 65# kayak a couple hundred yards once to get to his people.

Why on earth would you want to tie up a Jack Russell Terrier???That is heresy! Shame! If you want to constrain us, put us in an air conditioned house with soft pillows and plenty of chew toys and citties to chase! And popcorn. and BACON!!!!

His natural environment! Sadly, he must leave the house from time to time and he gets......enthusiastic about helping his little furry wilderness friends get their exercise to!

THERE IS NO CHAIN ON EARTH THAT CAN RESTRAIN A JACK RUSSELL!!!!!

anchorChain.jpg

bRING IT! I can chew thru that in five minutes!!!!

Try geocaching with 2 jacks. We could try tieing them up with that chain, but if a squirrel suddenly runs past, all bets are off ;)

If you tied 2 jacks together, would they cancel each other out? or would be more of an exponential thing?

THERE IS NO CHAIN ON EARTH THAT CAN RESTRAIN A JACK RUSSELL!!!!!

anchorChain.jpg

bRING IT! I can chew thru that in five minutes!!!!

Try geocaching with 2 jacks. We could try tieing them up with that chain, but if a squirrel suddenly runs past, all bets are off ;)

If you tied 2 jacks together, would they cancel each other out? or would be more of an exponential thing?

Ever combine flames from two different candles ...

2 Y pegs* with attached string angled at 45degrees into the ground, a carabiner to link the pegs together. A short lengh of 3mm bungee connecting the pegs to the lead in order to aborb the shock and prevent the pegs pulling out.

*snow stakes will have better holding power on softer ground but will be harder to insert in harder ground. for hard ground use rock pegs with attached string instead.

This set up has successfully held a border collie in place many a time.

Edited by Ant89

Better training and a shock collar. There is no reason that you should not be able to drop a leash on the ground for a couple minutes and have to worry about your dog taking off. People can say what they want about shock collars but I know I can call my dog back in any situation and once trained to the shock collar most of the time it just takes hearing the warning tone or vibration depending on the collar to jog his brain awake with no need to apply any further force. I have used the collar to call the dog off chasing down a wounded goose that was getting to close to a road and to call him off water retrieves where he was getting to far or it was getting dangerous. If any one has ever waterfowled with a high octane lab that lives to retrieve on land and water you know its no easy task to get them to stop. I was against the collar at first but after having some recall issues with the lab I realized that the collar is a very effective tool that in the end makes the dog safer. So train that little guy the best you can and seriously consider a shock collar for the times that you need to get his attention and get him back to you safely.

One last thing. Do not tie the leash around you waist or other body part. You stated that the dog drug a kayak once, well just think if you are not paying attention or a little off balance and he decides to take off. You could end up on the ground with broken body parts.

Edited by jsmuddydogs

keep calm keep calm keep calm keep calm keep calm keep calm...Deep slow breaths....

Here in Wales those evil things where banned on the 24th march 2010 after consultation period that took place between June 2008 and Febuary 2010. I can only hope the rest of the UK follows suit.

I don't care what you say, when it comes to the welfare of the animal these are not good, just like ANY item designed to inflict pain as part of punishment based training such as prong collars, choke chains and their likes (this includes any item that is intended to tighten around the dogs neck without any means of preventing it from overtightening). Half check collars are acceptable as they cannot overtighten and suffocate a dog if properly fitted.

Spray and vibrating collars collars are iffy, they do not cause pain so are technically humane, but the way they are typically used can have the same behaviorial supressing effect as the majority of training aids intended to inflict pain.

One fact is that ALL leads and collars can be utilised to cause pain, flat collars can still be pulled up against the dogs throat choking it, slip leads should always be used with the stopper in place BELOW the ring not above preventing overtightening although the stopper does not work on all slip leads.

The Safest way to secure your dog is to use a harness, a well fitted harness is not only more comfortable for the dog, but safer and more secure.

Headcollars are arkward things, they vary in design, just because one type does not work on your dog, it does not mean that another type of headcollar will not work either.

For training, use reward based training, by going to an http://www.apdt.com/ acredited trainer, or home training with a book that focuses purely on reward based training (remember to get a clicker and lots of cheese and sausage).

Remember though, if you have a deaf dog, it is even more important that the ONLY training done is based on reward. in these cases the normal clicker is replaced for a visual cue, typically a thumbs up from the handler, or a flash of a torch. A number of people with deaf dogs use a vibrating collar either in place of a clicker, or as a recall aid as the dog is trained to recognise that when the collar vibrates they get a reward.

A friend of mine trains dogs for agility practically doing the same thing 6 hours a day almost every day, one of her deaf dogs, now sadly passed away had been so badly abused by his previous onwers through the use of punishment baseed training that he would attack ANYONE on sight and this was not a simple bite and run attack but a full on "do as much damage as possible" type of attack. It took time, but she gradually turned him into a wonderful, people loving dog who loved to do agility.

I think you can tell from the post my feelings on this mattter. I cannot see how ANYONE who makes use of training aids intended to cause injury can claim to be a dog lover. :)

NEVER, I say again, NEVER tie a dog to a car bumper or trailer ball. I know two kids who still believe their dog took off, got lost and was never found. I know a Dad who threw away what was left of the leash when he got home after leaving his family at a campsite. Not me, but the thought of it all still makes my skin crawl.