Cache name problem with Garmin 62S

KrazyLegsUK

I have just bought a GPSMAP 62S as I was getting fed up of getting no GPS signal when we were in any sort of tree cover. I am very happy with my purchase so far but do still have a couple of issues. On problem I have, which I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere, is that in the list view of the Geocaches, longer Cache names are truncated. This is not very convenient for circular Cache trails where the Cache name typically only vary by the last couple of characters, usually numeric digits. With these last characters missing all series cache names can appear to be identical.

I haven't found a way to scroll the text in the list view to see the end characters. Is this possible ? Even in the map view longer cache names are truncated. The only way I have found to see the full name of these caches is to view the cache description. This takes several extra key presses abd is not very convenient when there are lots of apparently identically named caches and you simply want to identify the first one.

I am probably missing something obvious. I hope a more experienced 62S owner can advise. Thanks.

Edited by KrazyLegsUK

oregon 450 here, which has pretty much the same firmware. i also haven't found any way to make it show the full cache name in the usual cache lists - it only does so when viewing the cache description. in fact, even the textual filter gets applied to the first part of the cache names only. of course, on an oregon getting to the full cache description is a total non-issue thanks to the touchscreen, so i'm not complaining.

Edited by dfx

I have just bought a GPSMAP 62S as I was getting fed up of getting no GPS signal when we were in any sort of tree cover. I am very happy with my purchase so far but do still have a couple of issues. On problem I have, which I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere, is that in the list view of the Geocaches, longer Cache names are truncated. This is not very convenient for circular Cache trails where the Cache name typically only vary by the last couple of characters, usually numeric digits. With these last characters missing all series cache names can appear to be identical.

I haven't found a way to scroll the text in the list view to see the end characters. Is this possible ? Even in the map view longer cache names are truncated. The only way I have found to see the full name of these caches is to view the cache description. This takes several extra key presses abd is not very convenient when there are lots of apparently identically named caches and you simply want to identify the first one.

I am probably missing something obvious. I hope a more experienced 62S owner can advise. Thanks.

One option...

You can load the caches from GSAK and use the special tag "%smart". That will create a unique name for every cache.

I use the following special tags in the "Name" field when loading caches from GSAK. %smart %dif1a/%ter1a%con1 %drop2. It almost always allows the smart name, difficulty, terrain, cache size and complete GC# (minus "GC" to fit in the cache name field of the Geocaches page.

I'm an old 60 user, so I use the classic dashboard and the following pages: Satellite, map,compass, geocaches. Makes things much easier for me.

Using those settings, all the basic cache info is available with just a couple of presses of the "Page" or "Quit" button.

Hope that makes sense and helps!

Edited by G.O. John and Carol

One option...

You can load the caches from GSAK and use the special tag "%smart". That will create a unique name for every cache.

I use the following special tags in the "Name" field when loading caches from GSAK. %smart %dif1a/%ter1a%con1 %drop2. It almost always allows the smart name, difficulty, terrain, cache size and complete GC# (minus "GC" to fit in the cache name field of the Geocaches page.

I'm an old 60 user, so I use the classic dashboard and the following pages: Satellite, map,compass, geocaches. Makes things much easier for me.

Using those settings, all the basic cache info is available with just a couple of presses of the "Page" or "Quit" button.

Hope that makes sense and helps!

Thanks for the quick reply. I have just downloaded GSAK and will try out your suggestion. Hopefully Garmin can do a simple firmware change. It seems simple enough and would make the list much more readable. Perhaps just pressing right on the rocker switch to show the right hand half of the name.