Is there a generic "Geocaching" forum?

nativtxn

I know that GS owns this formus and the created Geocaching, but I'd say the Sport/Game/Hobby has taken on a life of its own and grown and evolved. I get irritated when someone asks a simple question and then a GS moderator comes back and slams them with this "that isn't GS, so you cannot discuss it here". It always sounds like a little spoiled brat kid trying to control the whole playground. I'd like this to be a helpful place where someone (especially a newbie) can ask a question and get an informative, helpful answer. If we can't answer questions about the entire sport here, where can we discuss all the facets of this game?

GS might have built the truck, but we ought to be able to buy the tires, oil, gas and bumper stickers from other sources without getting slammed. If we want to add headache racks, glass packs and lighted antennas, we should be able to discuss how they fit on the truck. So, if we want to discuss signature items to put into geocaches such as pathtags, wooden nickels, smashed pennies or plastic army men, how does that hurt??? It's all part of the game. Can we play nice? If not here - where?

I know that GS owns this formus and the created Geocaching, but I'd say the Sport/Game/Hobby has taken on a life of its own and grown and evolved. I get irritated when someone asks a simple question and then a GS moderator comes back and slams them with this "that isn't GS, so you cannot discuss it here". It always sounds like a little spoiled brat kid trying to control the whole playground. I'd like this to be a helpful place where someone (especially a newbie) can ask a question and get an informative, helpful answer. If we can't answer questions about the entire sport here, where can we discuss all the facets of this game?

GS might have built the truck, but we ought to be able to buy the tires, oil, gas and bumper stickers from other sources without getting slammed. If we want to add headache racks, glass packs and lighted antennas, we should be able to discuss how they fit on the truck. So, if we want to discuss signature items to put into geocaches such as pathtags, wooden nickels, smashed pennies or plastic army men, how does that hurt??? It's all part of the game. Can we play nice? If not here - where?

As far as I know the only topic that always gets shut down is Pathtags. I've asked about them (and then The Cheeseheads gave me a link that actually got me into those forums.... so my questions were answered).

Well, the oldest Geocaching forum in the world still exists on Yahoo! Groups As a matter of fact, it's so old it was originally on another service that Yahoo! later bought out. Not very active though.

And as you can see, the latest discussion there is about Opencaching.us a new Geocaching website that just went online in August. There's a forum over there too.

The sandbox belongs to the frog. The frog gets to set the rules. If the frog thinks you need to buy frog approved tires, well then you buy frog approved tires. If you find some other place to buy tires, just don't talk about it here. Commercial posts are removed, discussions of applications that violate the TOU are locked and sometimes removed. Posts about stats software are left alone, posts about how to use GPSr's are left alone, many other topics are discussed and not censored. You think this place is bad? Well don't go over to the GSAK forums and stray off the topic of GSAK, that is nipped in the bud before it even starts.

I find that local clubs are pretty independent from gc.com while still focusing on geocaching. However the chances are pretty good that you still won't be able to pull your own rant as you please.

okay?

I just like the wording of your post ... a good laugh after a strenuous day ... TFTPost!!

nativtxn fan :)

Hey, natvitxn!

I know this is an "old" thread, but I don't make it here often. I spend most of my geocaching forum thread time on other sites, ironically enough.

I use the following....

My two local clubs...

Maryland Geocaching Society - MGS

Northern Virginia Geocaching Organization - NoVAGO

Two global "special interest" clubs...

GeoCachers 4 Christ - GC4C

Military Association of GeoCachers - MAGC

Three other listing sites...

OpenCaching US

Navicache

TerraCaching

And, lastly, the closest to a generic, global geocaching forum...

Podcacher Podcast

I also have a Facebook page for Geocachers Unlimited to share general caching info.

Geocachers Unlimited is for anyone who is a true geocaching enthusiast and not only a fan of one particular listing site. Also, this is NOT a place to bash anyone or any site. Open discussion and constructive criticism is encouraged, though.

Not sure what "aspects" of Geocaching you need to discuss but when visiting this sandbox - you have to remember they are a business and they strive to show a profit from thier line of thinking and thier products. Does not seem very surprising at all that the competition is not allowed free advertising.

You don't go to a Microsoft site to discuss your new iPad - do you??

Not sure what "aspects" of Geocaching you need to discuss but when visiting this sandbox - you have to remember they are a business and they strive to show a profit from thier line of thinking and thier products. Does not seem very surprising at all that the competition is not allowed free advertising.

I guess you're replying to the OP, but I can understand why they'd frown on that, but that does support the value in the idea of a "small g" geocaching forum for the hobbyists.

However, the other listing sites I use have no issue with referencing either GS/GC.om or the other non-corporate listing services.

I guess you're replying to the OP, but I can understand why they'd frown on that, but that does support the value in the idea of a "small g" geocaching forum for the hobbyists.

However, the other listing sites I use have no issue with referencing either GS/GC.om or the other non-corporate listing services.

Yeah, but there aren't many not-allowed things here that can't be covered by my local forum. Even for the the more 'global' geocaching issues I can still find people locally who can provide insight.

Of course the unsolicited advertising isn't allowed on my local forum either (thank goodness).

Edited by BlueDeuce

I totally agree with what the OP is saying about the powers that be. This all may be just a business for Groundspeak but successful business listen to their customers. This is the most common complaint I hear about Groundspeak, " they are the gods of geocaching and play by their rules or don't play." I got on board early on and had a premium membership for a few years but no more. between the forum moderators and the cache reviewers the freedom and fun of geocaching has become just another commercial endeavor for the enrichment of a few at the expense of the many with no consideration of what the "customers" want. I still sometimes read this forum do some caching but after this post I will probably be band, O well I have been wanting to get this rant out for some time now.

I totally agree with what the OP is saying about the powers that be. This all may be just a business for Groundspeak but successful business listen to their customers. This is the most common complaint I hear about Groundspeak, " they are the gods of geocaching and play by their rules or don't play." I got on board early on and had a premium membership for a few years but no more. between the forum moderators and the cache reviewers the freedom and fun of geocaching has become just another commercial endeavor for the enrichment of a few at the expense of the many with no consideration of what the "customers" want. I still sometimes read this forum do some caching but after this post I will probably be band, O well I have been wanting to get this rant out for some time now.

You got on early on in January of '08? :D

Now I got on early. To me you are a newbie. Yes they moderate thier forums. As they should. Otherwise we would end up sharing recipes, local mechanic iformation, prices of eggs in local supermarkets etc... Trust me, if these forums weren't moderated they would branch off into hundreds of topics that have nothing to do with caching. I know you don't think they listen to the public, but then again you are a newbie or you would know the history of the off topic forum. Of course it's a commercial endeavor. What did you expect? it's posts like these that bring me out of the shadows. Fading back out now.

El Diablo

...at the expense of the many with no consideration of what the "customers" want.

Speaking as a geocacher and not a moderator, I would disagree with that. The feedback site was created for the sole purpose of being able to better interact with everyone and know what they want.

What is it that you want?

I've been here 6 years and I also disagree with the OP. There have been many changes over the years as a direct result of customer feedback. In fact, I think they show great restraint in not responding in kind to some of the ridiculous rants that pass through the forums. I miss the days when Jeremy would post what he "really" thought about some of the things people come up with here...

I agree with the OP, and have been banned before for complaining about how the site works and how it is moderated. I don't agree with some aspects of this site, but for now, they have the most people and best list of caches and the best access to them. I do feel they should be filtering the following things, which they do pretty well:

1) Filtering things which have nothing to do with the sport/game of geocaching. As mentioned in an earlier post, prices of eggs, best mechanics, etc. This, they do well. (Yes, praise for the site from me :D )

2) Filtering things which violate the TOS. This makes sense... you can't support something that is against your rules. Certain Android apps come to mind.

3) Language and inappropriate references - and again, they do a very good job of this. It is a family friendly site, and would definitely not be if this wasn't covered.

Following are things which I don't feel they should filter at all, keeping in mind that this particular forum (the one I am posting in), is listed as "General Geocaching Discussions/Geocaching Topics", not Groundspeak only geocaching discussions.

1) Discussion of other caching websites and their advantages/disadvantages. I think this would benefit both Groundspeak as a company and geocaching.com as a website to know what people think of various good/bad things about this site in comparison to others.

2) Discussion of competing materials such as pathtags, etc. There are advantages and disadvantages to these and other outside competing materials, as related to this website, and this again can only benefit this website when people can discuss what they like/don't like about these and other materials.

I understand this website is a business. I understand it won't run without an income and things which threaten this income are considered bad. I also would like to note that it seems that GS has listened to its users more than in the past. However, I always like to compare this website and its method of running to Apple. There, Steve Jobs makes the rules, and you live with it. Here, Jeremy makes the rules, and you live with it. In both cases, they have a product or set of products that a lot of people really like and desire, and if you like them enough to live with the things you don't like about them (and in some cases, can't change, and in other cases, to change, you have to break the rules lol), you get them. If you don't, you can complain, or you can go to someone elses' products.

Good? Bad?

You have to decide for yourself.

Well, I would like to chime in with an admission that I'm surprised that I wasn't chided by Keystone for my first post in this thread (with links to other caching sites) and that the thread hasn't been locked.

Maybe they're being a bit more open than in the past.

I was turned off by the their approach to the feedback service when Jeremy told me that my opinion on a cache listed on the ocean floor held no value since I didn't live near the cache. I guess only sea creatures can comment on that one.

I just learned of a group that seems to be a general, global caching group - geochums.

I disagree. You may have found some sort of "mission statement" on their website stating otherwise, but Geochums (which I joined in about 2007, and occasionally read, but never post), is all NE Ohio, all the time. Cleveland? Akron/Canton? That's about it. Not that it's not a nice forum or anything, but it is definitely 100% NE Ohio residents talking about NE Ohio caching.

Well, I would like to chime in with an admission that I'm surprised that I wasn't chided by Keystone for my first post in this thread (with links to other caching sites) and that the thread hasn't been locked.

I was turned off by the their approach to the feedback service when Jeremy told me that my opinion on a cache listed on the ocean floor held no value since I didn't live near the cache. I guess only sea creatures can comment on that one.

Hey wait a minute...at least the caches on the ocean floor are logable. The ISS cache isnt. Come on now be nice. Thats what nice about caching...different things for different peoples interests. :(

Hey wait a minute...at least the caches on the ocean floor are logable. The ISS cache isnt. Come on now be nice. Thats what nice about caching...different things for different peoples interests. :(

No, actually the only person ever to look for the ocean floor cache was pretty sure they found it's remains imploded. And ironically enough, the ISS cache was placed by the same cache owner!

Anyways, on-topic Mother Wolf's bump made me look at my own post. That sounds kind of smart-alecky. :( Not my intention at all. I don't know the history of Geochums, and maybe their original intention was to be nation wide or world wide, but it's definitely developed into a NE Ohio forum. I guess It is rather strange to have a regional forum that doesn't have a regional name.

Over here in UK the Geocaching Association of Great Britain is generic.

In practice, 98.6% of discussion within the GAGB forum relates to aspects of Geocaching.com geocaching because that's the way it is in UK but the GAGB is proud to be an "independent" geocaching association. If anyone wanted to put up a topic there to discuss Opencaching.org (which is the only other geocache listing site which has much of a following in UK) that would be fine.

The UK regional geocaching forums are also "generic".

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges
It is no secret that AngryKid has been working on recoding terracaching.com for years. Users' interest has suffered the same fate, in the face of unmet expectations to completely retool the site. In any situation like this, the evaluation must be made whether or not continue. In this case, the AngryKid's decision is that he will not continue.

Assuming that there is no other interest in taking over the terracaching.com, as of December 31st, 2010, the site will shut down. Any premium memberships still in effect at that time will be refunded for the balance of their remaining duration.

Thank you for your participation, cooperation, patience, and involvement in this community.

That being said, if there is interest in either assuming the site, or being part of a community that assumes control and development of the site, email scotto@terracaching.com. I will help facilitate that reorganization.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I just learned of a group that seems to be a general, global caching group - geochums.

I disagree. You may have found some sort of "mission statement" on their website stating otherwise, but Geochums (which I joined in about 2007, and occasionally read, but never post), is all NE Ohio, all the time. Cleveland? Akron/Canton? That's about it. Not that it's not a nice forum or anything, but it is definitely 100% NE Ohio residents talking about NE Ohio caching.

Actually, I've not found any mission statement. I simply didn't find anything that identified it as a local / regional group. I've also not gotten any responses from my question asking about a mission statement or to my introduction post.