"Flash Mob" events VS regular events

The Dommer Party

I've spent quite a bit of time browsing the forums but never ran across this, and of course I can't search on "flash mob" because it's "too short" to search for. :)

I've seen lots of logs on caches such as "Met up with so and so at the flash mob event and we did a little caching afterwards".

I understand the basics of a "flash mob" and also the basics of an "event cache". But what exactly is a Flash Mob Event?

My guess: An event of short duration where people just meet up with the only purpose being to hook up with other cachers and immediately go looking for caches as a group or separate groups.

Is this right? Just curious. I plan to attend a normal local event next weekend but was curious (for future reference) about "flash mob events".

The looking for caches part is incidental. A flash mob event is just a very short event. Typically (by the ones I've been a part of) 15 minutes.

Folks hang out fairly close to the event site, then at a specified time they all congregate for 15 minutes. During this time they sign the log, swap bugs and swag,maybe take a pic or do other things. At the end of 15 minutes, everyone disperses.

I've spent quite a bit of time browsing the forums but never ran across this, and of course I can't search on "flash mob" because it's "too short" to search for. :)

just for future reference so that it minimizes your frustration, forum search doesn't quite work like google search, while it is possible to search for more than one word with the aid of wild cards, your best bet is to search for one word only

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...mp;CODE=explain

the minimum required characters in here are 5, "flash" would work

also clicking on "search topics" only will yield better results

My guess: An event of short duration where people just meet up with the only purpose being to hook up with other cachers and immediately go looking for caches as a group or separate groups.

It is an event of short duration but the purpose is not necessarily to hook up with other cachers and go caching in groups. Not that it doesn't happen after flash mobs or even regular events.

Actually I'm not sure what the point of a flashmob is, since the point of an event is for geocachers to meet and socialize and it's hard to do much of that in 10 or 15 minutes.

Edited by briansnat

Few flash mob events actually resemble real flash mobs, although I've heard of a couple that did actually do flash-mob-like things at the appointed time. But it can be fun to see how much of an event you can hold in 15 minutes. At the appointed time, dozens of geocachers converge on the appointed location, sign log sheets (index cards), conduct a raffle for door prizes (using the index cards), congratulate the guest of honor (as appropriate), etc. After 15 minutes, the host declares the event over, and eventually the crowd starts to disperse as various groups head off for nearby restaurants, or nearby geocaches, or whatever.

It is an event of short duration but the purpose is not necessarily to hook up with other cachers and go caching in groups. Not that it doesn't happen after flash mobs or even regular events.

Actually I'm not sure what the point of a flashmob is, since the point of an event is for geocachers to meet and socialize and it's hard to do much of that in 10 or 15 minutes.

We've managed to do quite a bit of socializing at our flash mobs. And you left off a BIG reason - fun.