swag

whtacache

I'm a newbie. I have found 8 out of 12 caches. Most have been micro, only a few regular size in my area. I was wondering about the swag. Every one I have found just had junk inside, like a penny, an old crayon, a paper clip etc. Is this the norm? We thought we'd be finding some interesting thing we could swap, but who wants someone else's trash?

Edited by whtacache

Trash is all in the eyes of the beholder.

Swag degrades over time as people come and don't trade up and trade even. I carry around stuff with me for caches. Sometimes I just leave stuff in the cache to leave it better than I find it. Sometimes I trade stuff. And sometimes I don't take or leave anything.

Personally there are items in caches that others would consider trash or useless that I trade for.

If you're expecting to find items worth a lot in any cache you will continue to be disappointed. I never go out with the expectation that I'm going to find anything in a cache even if it's a regular sized one. I geocache for the journey and for the occasional chance at getting to rummage through a container of cheap things that people left behind basically. I have yet to be disappointed by what I find or don't find in a cache.

Swag degrades over time as people come and don't trade up and trade even. I carry around stuff with me for caches. Sometimes I just leave stuff in the cache to leave it better than I find it. Sometimes I trade stuff. And sometimes I don't take or leave anything.

Personally there are items in caches that others would consider trash or useless that I trade for.

If you're expecting to find items worth a lot in any cache you will continue to be disappointed. I never go out with the expectation that I'm going to find anything in a cache even if it's a regular sized one. I geocache for the journey and for the occasional chance at getting to rummage through a container of cheap things that people left behind basically. I have yet to be disappointed by what I find or don't find in a cache.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that swag isn't going to be valuable, but I would expect it not to be trash. And by trash I mean an empty candy wrapper or a chewed up pencil. Seriously, I found these items and that is why I cam asking the question. Are the items left a sort of calling card for the person? You said, "Personally there are items in caches that others would consider trash or useless that I trade for." What types of items do you mean? I have a friend who posts photos of all his caches and most have items of interest inside, not of value. I do hunt with my kids and it would be fun to find something in a container. I guess I should have asked, Why does someone leave swag? Is it just for fun or does it mean something personal, like my name is Kat and I always leave cats..

Thanks Mel

Some caches start out with junk and things degrade from there. Others start out with nice stuff and the contents degrade.

The first photo is what is in a typical small cache of mine when I hide it. Below that is what was left in a different small cache when I pulled it. They aren't the same cache, but the second one was stocked in the same manner as the one in the first photo when it went out.

f700336a-c8fb-4201-a099-7f1f0dcddc8b.jpg

9c1e79f5-789c-4868-8b5b-a110fd650020.jpg

Other than the marble, I'm not eve sure what these things are. :)

Edited by briansnat

Thanks for the reply. I understand that swag isn't going to be valuable, but I would expect it not to be trash. And by trash I mean an empty candy wrapper or a chewed up pencil. Seriously, I found these items and that is why I cam asking the question. Are the items left a sort of calling card for the person? You said, "Personally there are items in caches that others would consider trash or useless that I trade for." What types of items do you mean? I have a friend who posts photos of all his caches and most have items of interest inside, not of value. I do hunt with my kids and it would be fun to find something in a container. I guess I should have asked, Why does someone leave swag? Is it just for fun or does it mean something personal, like my name is Kat and I always leave cats..

Thanks Mel

Back when I started I found a cache that the owner listed the swag contents, "a used Sears craftsman garage door opener". Since then I've never raised my expectations or suggested anything otherwise to anyone else.

That cache happens to be one of my all time favorites, but the description is still there. Link available upon request.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Remove SWAG from the game and I would imagine that TB and coins would travel better too.

As someone else said remove SWAG and remove a large section of cachers; families and the next generation of cachers.

I enjoy caching to see nice / interesting places in my area and to get out in the fresh air and spend some fun time with my kids :laughing: Them; they just want 'the treasure'. Not strictly true but obviously 'the treasure' is a large part of the game for the young 'uns. As long as it's clean and is in reasonable condition I'll allow them to swap, which why I'm always well stocked. Again as someone else said I will occasionally 'top up' a rather empty looking cache if I feel it deserves it :mellow: I think the condition of the cache also relates to its contents. I've been at few where the cache and contents are either slightly damp or soaked through; no way am I adding to the mess. It would be a waste!

I recently placed my first cache and took my time deciding what to fill it with. Below is the final result. All homemade by me, tactical man knitting as I call it :)

It doesn't cost a lot to make but takes a bit of time and skill. I do hope my future finders enjoy them as they are different to the norm.

S1052429.jpg

My family has trekked to a few difficult caches to find trash in them as well. I try to stock my backpack with good stuff to fill up the caches, but it still is a bummer for us. My oldest son has sort of lost the thrill of "treasure hunting" and got to the point where nothing in there is something he would want. It bums me out to compare how excited he was early on and how much of that is lost now. I know he should just be happy with the find, but he is little and it is just treasure hunting for him at this point.

What we decided to do was hide our own cache and fill it up with lots of goodies kids would love. My kids went through all their stuff and collected enough for 3 caches. I weeded out any fast food toys and broken things and have enough for 2 more caches. Our first one was placed near the end of the spring and was filled to the top. I plan on going out this summer to check the contents and replenish it if need be. The description notes that we are trying to make this cache suitable for kids wanting to find treasure in our area :)

We enjoyed hiding the cache together and have enjoyed reading the logs. The only bummer is that I went out and got 3 ammo boxes and painted them (rust proof) - only to find out that the parks in my area don't allow ammo boxes. Had to replace the one hide with a tupperware container (and lots of zip locks inside). Oh and someone seemed to yank the 5 or so pens and pencils I put in the log "bag" with the log. I'd like to think they thought they were swag, but who knows?

The wife put the clamp on caching over the summer after our first good outbreak of poison ivy and run in with a snake (scared the kids a little), but we should be back in force in the fall. In addition to the "kids" caches, I am going to add more swag that appeal to others (compasses, flash lights, some of my printed photography, lanyards, etc).

Oh and my wife makes necklaces (bezel cups + (images or polymer creations) coated in resin) that I often drop in caches around here. I dig finding other people's home made art :mellow:

My hope is that we keep a few families "into it" when they find our caches.

Remove SWAG from the game and I would imagine that TB and coins would travel better too.

As someone else said remove SWAG and remove a large section of cachers; families and the next generation of cachers.

I enjoy caching to see nice / interesting places in my area and to get out in the fresh air and spend some fun time with my kids :laughing: Them; they just want 'the treasure'. Not strictly true but obviously 'the treasure' is a large part of the game for the young 'uns. As long as it's clean and is in reasonable condition I'll allow them to swap, which why I'm always well stocked. Again as someone else said I will occasionally 'top up' a rather empty looking cache if I feel it deserves it :mellow: I think the condition of the cache also relates to its contents. I've been at few where the cache and contents are either slightly damp or soaked through; no way am I adding to the mess. It would be a waste!

I recently placed my first cache and took my time deciding what to fill it with. Below is the final result. All homemade by me, tactical man knitting as I call it :)

It doesn't cost a lot to make but takes a bit of time and skill. I do hope my future finders enjoy them as they are different to the norm.

S1052429.jpg

Those are awesome! You should add a tag, or package them in little baggies, with your caching name, so people know who they came from. Make it your signature item.

Remove SWAG from the game and I imagine a lot of folks with kids (including us) will likely stop caching.

I usually cache with a kid, and he's mostly indifferent to "swag." He's four. The time together, being in the outdoors, and all the associated adventures we have are far more valuable than some trinkets.

I can't imagine the level of materialism that would drive someone to quit because there wasn't "swag" anymore. Actually, I think I can imagine it, and the game would probably be better without it.

Remove SWAG from the game and I imagine a lot of folks with kids (including us) will likely stop caching.

I usually cache with a kid, and he's mostly indifferent to "swag." He's four. The time together, being in the outdoors, and all the associated adventures we have are far more valuable than some trinkets.

I can't imagine the level of materialism that would drive someone to quit because there wasn't "swag" anymore. Actually, I think I can imagine it, and the game would probably be better without it.

I wish my kids were that way. I wish that they loved hiking down trails and seeing waterfalls and listening to the wind in the trees, all for it's own sake. But they don't. (Sometimes I wonder how my husband and I can possibly be their parents! :) ) No, these are not video-game obsessed kids who never leave the house. They can spend hours digging in the mud, or wading in a lake, or creating games with their friends in the backyard. It's just that the linear action of hiking doesn't do it for them. Looking for caches, and the fun of finding a bit of treasure, is one little incentive to get them movin' on down the trail. If all swag disappeared, would I quit caching? No. But I probably wouldn't cache with my kids very much. Swag just makes it a bit more enjoyable for them, and other kids I imagine, too. Funny what they think is good stuff, though! A lot of times they'll bypass the toy items for a cool rock or marble, or even a golf ball.

my geocaching partner and i are new to the game, but i have already sincerely vowed to leave something of interest or use. we got on a kick recently of buying cheap, but totally useful, snap-glow sticks and leaving one or two in standard size caches. we have found books, which was probably one of my favorite-almost-died-in-woods caches, though nothing else was truly interesting.

i was going to post practically the same topic today, so i'm glad someone has beat me to it...

good swag vs. bad swag? i suppose it would fall under a category of a personal token, useful, trackable, or genuinely interesting... in a way, i want to raise the bar (not by price) for good cache swag in my area. we are starting to do small pieces of artwork for a cache we want to hide, and the ideas just keep coming.

sometimes the worn out crayon at the bottom of the ammo can is all you have to sign the log with... i can appreciate that. :P

i enjoy the community aspect of geocaching as well, so we have left nice personal notes, lists of our favorite bands, and hope to expand to even more artistic/expressive/cultural tid-bits (staying away from ANY agendas or political topics, etc.) we are amateur hippies like that :huh: ... seeing geocaching as an opportunity to spread little kindesses.

I always try to leave the cache better looking than when I found it. I carry cheap toys (party favors, dollar store trinkets) they usually average out to be like $0.25, but hey, every kid I've met likes them. Also I do biners, key chains, bottle openers, mini tools for the more manly. And handmade beaded bracelets for the ladies.

The bracelets are my favorite. They are probably the cheapest of all my swag, but they are handmade, wearable, and look like the most thoughtful and expensive swag of them all, and it really doesn't take that much extra time to make them.

I like handmade!

I always try to leave the cache better looking than when I found it. I carry cheap toys (party favors, dollar store trinkets) they usually average out to be like $0.25, but hey, every kid I've met likes them. Also I do biners, key chains, bottle openers, mini tools for the more manly. And handmade beaded bracelets for the ladies.

The bracelets are my favorite. They are probably the cheapest of all my swag, but they are handmade, wearable, and look like the most thoughtful and expensive swag of them all, and it really doesn't take that much extra time to make them.

I like handmade!

My family has trekked to a few difficult caches to find trash in them as well. I try to stock my backpack with good stuff to fill up the caches, but it still is a bummer for us. My oldest son has sort of lost the thrill of "treasure hunting" and got to the point where nothing in there is something he would want. It bums me out to compare how excited he was early on and how much of that is lost now. I know he should just be happy with the find, but he is little and it is just treasure hunting for him at this point.

What we decided to do was hide our own cache and fill it up with lots of goodies kids would love. My kids went through all their stuff and collected enough for 3 caches. I weeded out any fast food toys and broken things and have enough for 2 more caches. Our first one was placed near the end of the spring and was filled to the top. I plan on going out this summer to check the contents and replenish it if need be. The description notes that we are trying to make this cache suitable for kids wanting to find treasure in our area :huh:

We enjoyed hiding the cache together and have enjoyed reading the logs. The only bummer is that I went out and got 3 ammo boxes and painted them (rust proof) - only to find out that the parks in my area don't allow ammo boxes. Had to replace the one hide with a tupperware container (and lots of zip locks inside). Oh and someone seemed to yank the 5 or so pens and pencils I put in the log "bag" with the log. I'd like to think they thought they were swag, but who knows?

The wife put the clamp on caching over the summer after our first good outbreak of poison ivy and run in with a snake (scared the kids a little), but we should be back in force in the fall. In addition to the "kids" caches, I am going to add more swag that appeal to others (compasses, flash lights, some of my printed photography, lanyards, etc).

Oh and my wife makes necklaces (bezel cups + (images or polymer creations) coated in resin) that I often drop in caches around here. I dig finding other people's home made art :P

My hope is that we keep a few families "into it" when they find our caches.