Dishonest Seller

zapfrog

I contacted the Atwell Family 2 days ago about his Garmin he has and thought I struck a deal with him. Through a series of emails and PM's today he sends me an invoice through PayPal only to revoke it a few hours later. I obviously wrote to him to find out what was going on and he claimed that he got "confused" and sold it to someone else.

The things that struck me as odd were:

He claims confusion and asks if I am ******* ( I guess the buyer) yet in ALL my correspondance I clearly stated who I was.

Also claims ******* contacted him before I did. Yet claims he contacted him only yesterday when my PM's were clearly before the time Atwell states.

In my initial invoice he claims he is not able to send it out until the 21st of September yet he has no mention of this in his ad OR HIS POSTING ON EBAY.

Seems to me he was waiting for a better offer all along. In the end I get burned and end up with no GPS. Next time just outright tell me you are waiting for a better offer instead of sending me an invoice.

I contacted the Atwell Family 2 days ago about his Garmin he has and thought I struck a deal with him. Through a series of emails and PM's today he sends me an invoice through PayPal only to revoke it a few hours later. I obviously wrote to him to find out what was going on and he claimed that he got "confused" and sold it to someone else.

The things that struck me as odd were:

He claims confusion and asks if I am ******* ( I guess the buyer) yet in ALL my correspondance I clearly stated who I was.

Also claims ******* contacted him before I did. Yet claims he contacted him only yesterday when my PM's were clearly before the time Atwell states.

In my initial invoice he claims he is not able to send it out until the 21st of September yet he has no mention of this in his ad OR HIS POSTING ON EBAY.

Seems to me he was waiting for a better offer all along. In the end I get burned and end up with no GPS. Next time just outright tell me you are waiting for a better offer instead of sending me an invoice.

In this case I have to side with the seller, he sent you an invoice and looks like he also sent one to another buyer, the other buyer accepted the offer and paid for it first and you lost the option to buy it.

If you was in Wally World and there was one item for sale and two of you were standing there looking at it then the other person picked it up and paid fpr it, and you would still say, "hey I was still thinking, no fair"

There is a simple saying that rings true here, "You snooze, you lose"

No it was done through here. The Atwell Family said he would take it down from eBay.

A few things on the snooze you lose from a previous poster; this also doesn't work when the seller promises/makes a deal with the original buyer in this case me. And this forum isn't eBay where there is a bidding war. Once contact was made and a deal struck that should have been the end of it.

All solid responses so far - and thank you everybody for not pulling out the pitchforks on either party.

I don't see anything dishonest here, just maybe a poor experience.

Not to be terribly blunt, but I'll point out the bullet point from these forum guidelines that everybody should remember:

Those choosing to participate in an exchange on this board take full responsibility for any consequences of that exchange. Groundspeak is in no way involved in the sale of items on this board and will not be held responsible or liable in any way for quality issues, fraud or any default of transfer on the part of the buyer or seller.

It is good that you did not lose any money in the deal. As to the situation, I think seller wasn't fair. If I have more than one person interested in whatever I am selling, I am contacting first in line and usually give 24 hour window to reply/pay. If I do not get e-mail back or the payment, I contact next in line. I think sending you an invoice and then revoking it is not fair. You had written agreement to purchase his/her goods which should be honored by both parties.

We really don't KNOW how this deal went (and really none of our business) maybe the seller sent both potential buyers an invoice, and first to respond got the deal.

OR maybe he sent the other potential buyer the offer first, then when they got no payment they then offered it to this seller, but before this seller sent money the other buyer did.

My advice, when offered a deal take it fast or don't complain if deal is retracted .

You snooze, you lose and you wasn't ripped off by anyone, you are just being a sore loser and it is your fault you lost out on the deal, you said you got the invoice, why didn't you send payment right then?

QUOTE(Atwell Family @ Aug 23 2010, 11:03 AM) *

Or best offer???

zapfrog stated:

I seriously would if I had the money sad.gif I love my iPhone but the signal is weak and cuts out while hiking so this will be my next purchase. If you still have it in a month I will buy it fr 200, sorry it can't be sooner.

Here you stated you couldn't buy it for a month, why would you think the seller should keep it for you when he had another buyer interested?

I have been there done that had deal with two buyers got confused with who contacted me first made deal with one thinking they were the other. Buyer stopped buy and picked up item only to have person who made first contact get ahold of me to make purchase then I realized I had sold to wrong person. My bad did not do on purpose names were so close together and I get lots of emails and did not notice I was dealing with too different buyers till it was too late. Was I a bad seller no I did nothing dishonest just made a mistake.