HTC EVO & chaching

Brown Coat

About 3 days ago I got my new HTC EVO from sprint. I found the C GEO app for free and the EVO has a built in compass and GPS that works great with it. Because I'm a supporter I bought the Geocaching.com app as well. I personally like them both but prefer the Geocaching app a little more. Both are great and I've alternated between them a little.

For those of you that are wondering how well the EVO works as a caching unit, well, it works great. I got to use it in the field today for the first time and got three caches. It put me within 10ft each time without fail. The GPS and compass worked great and I was really surprised at just how well it actually did work being that it's a phone and not a high end $400 GPS unit.

I love the fact that I can log into geocaching.com and get all the info I need and even download saved pocket queries or create them using the web in the phone then grab them either via email or through the app. Then log in and log the caches while I'm on the move.

I've heard some people complain about the app, but it's pretty nice right now and I have no complaints. I'm sure it will improve as time goes on but for now I was happy to drop $10 on it. It also has a nice compass built in and both apps allow you to view adn search using google maps to see all the caches around you and update as you're driving around. Nice.

So in a nutshell, if anyone is thinking of getting an EVO and want to cache with it I don't think you'll be disappointed in the least. I love it.

The down side of the using the phone for caching is that it's still a phone and not a rugged water resistant unit I would recommend getting a waterproof bag at REI or something for like 10 bucks and see how that works. I'm not sure how the touchscreen will react through the bag so if anyone tries it, post up and tell us about it.

I have had my Evo for about a week and downloaded the geocache app also. I haven't done alot of geocaching in the past 3 years but now that it's getting cooler and things have slowed down...I'm ready to go again.

Can you please explain to me if I can get driving directions and then switch to a compass of some sort? I'm probably not using the EVO to the full extent (duh) but am fixing to go on a trip to Louisville and would like to figure out all the bells and whistles before I go...:-).

I know this is a bit late to throw my 2 cents in but I have some issues that I'm trying to get answers for. YES the app is GREAT on the EVO!!! the convenience of being able to cache any where, any time, is cool, but the big problem with the EVO is the battery consumption! and the Geocaching app tops the list at 95% of power consuming apps when I check to see whats using my battery. although I did not see a huge drop in battery life once I installed the app. Does it shut off when not in use or is it constantly running in the background? and can it be shut down without removing it? Anyone with better tech skills than I help me to understand this?

I am curious as to how accurate the GPS is on these smart phones. I am thinking of getting the new HTC Thunderbolt when it comes out. I currently use the pn-40 which is of course very accurate. The Delorme maps are junk when you look at them compared to google maps. The ability to have online access at your finger tips appeals to me also. The accuracy issue would be my only concern. These phones were not built to be a GPS unit so I have to wonder how close they get you to a set of coords.

I've used my EVO 4G and my Garmin 60CSx to check each other out, and I have seen them in agreement probably 99% of the time. I can't speak for the other smart phones out there. As to the HTC Thunderbolt, from the specs that I've seen so far it looks like it's Verizon's answer to Sprint's EVO with not to many differences between the two phones other than those required by the different 4G networks, and memory size.

When I got my EVO, I had a passing interest in geocaching but never went looking, never had any sort of gps unit period. I downloaded c:geo app onto the phone just to see, and have been enjoying geocaching ever since. The EVO uses google driving directions to get me to the general location of the cache and then I switch over to either map satellite view/compass/radar. The ability to see all nearby caches live in google maps is nice feature as well. c:geo also lets one post their results and comments to geocaching.com if so inclined. The only negative Ive found with it so far is manually entering gps coordinates is sometimes inaccurate, but Ive found that the EVOs internet browser (Dolphin HD) and bookmarking an internet site that searches/maps for gps coordinates is more accurate.

To answer the question about smartphone GPS accuracy, I've found 325 caches and not once touched a GPSr. They've all been with either my old Nokia 6220 Classic or my new HTC Hero.

I've not had the opportunity to compare the two side by side and I would assume a GPSr is more accurate but I am a huge advocate of mobile phone caching and it's never caused me any problems in all the time I've been at it.

I know this is a bit late to throw my 2 cents in but I have some issues that I'm trying to get answers for. YES the app is GREAT on the EVO!!! the convenience of being able to cache any where, any time, is cool, but the big problem with the EVO is the battery consumption! and the Geocaching app tops the list at 95% of power consuming apps when I check to see whats using my battery. although I did not see a huge drop in battery life once I installed the app. Does it shut off when not in use or is it constantly running in the background? and can it be shut down without removing it? Anyone with better tech skills than I help me to understand this?

When you want to close the app go to settings> applications> manage applications> and then click on the geocaching app and select "force stop". If I don't do this the app will run in the background and suck the battery dry. They say they're working on this but can't replicate the problem which astounds me since there is a lot of people with this problem. If they want to charge $10 for this app they need to address this issue, I'll be using c:geo until they fix it.

I am curious as to how accurate the GPS is on these smart phones. I am thinking of getting the new HTC Thunderbolt when it comes out. I currently use the pn-40 which is of course very accurate. The Delorme maps are junk when you look at them compared to google maps. The ability to have online access at your finger tips appeals to me also. The accuracy issue would be my only concern. These phones were not built to be a GPS unit so I have to wonder how close they get you to a set of coords.

As of this posting I'm just under 500 finds and have been using a HTC Hero or HTC Evo 4g on most of them. My dad uses an Oregon 450 so we compare our results alot when out caching and while the Oregon is more accurate, these HTC devices are not far off. It helps to use the app "GPS Status". Open the app> hit the menu button> select tools> select Manage A-GPS state> then select download. Doing this every few days seems to really help the accuracy. In my opinion the main reason to go with a dedicated gps would simply be that they can take more abuse. My phones been dropped, rained on, and covered in pine sap already. I told myself that once I get to 500 caches I could buy an Oregon, so I'm starting to shop around now. :D

Downloading "agps data" only speeds up your gps fix. Agps is using cell towers to triangulate your position quickly, giving you a rough position. This allows your to get a quicker fix In your actual gps. It should automatically download that data when you open the app. Also you should reboot your phone before caching, much like you would your gps.

Hmmm... I'm going to have to do some research on this. Whenever I get a inaccurate reading while using google maps I'll try doing the a-gps state download and its always been corrected after doing that. Maybe a phone reboot would do the same thing as well, but at least the download is quicker than a reboot.

As of this posting I'm just under 500 finds and have been using a HTC Hero or HTC Evo 4g on most of them. My dad uses an Oregon 450 so we compare our results alot when out caching and while the Oregon is more accurate, these HTC devices are not far off. It helps to use the app "GPS Status". Open the app> hit the menu button> select tools> select Manage A-GPS state> then select download. Doing this every few days seems to really help the accuracy. In my opinion the main reason to go with a dedicated gps would simply be that they can take more abuse. My phones been dropped, rained on, and covered in pine sap already. I told myself that once I get to 500 caches I could buy an Oregon, so I'm starting to shop around now. :D

We're only at 16 caches but have the exact same setup. HTC Hero until yesterday when i got the EVO. We found the Hero worked pretty well and got us within a few meters of most caches unless there really was a full tree canopy overhead. In the open of a field it got us even closer. Can't wait to try out the EVO this weekend. Just in my house it was getting a lock from 10 to 12 satellites while the Hero was getting 8 to 10. Now if I knew what that meant it would be much more meaningful but usually larger numbers are better :lol:

We're only at 16 caches but have the exact same setup. HTC Hero until yesterday when i got the EVO. We found the Hero worked pretty well and got us within a few meters of most caches unless there really was a full tree canopy overhead. In the open of a field it got us even closer. Can't wait to try out the EVO this weekend. Just in my house it was getting a lock from 10 to 12 satellites while the Hero was getting 8 to 10. Now if I knew what that meant it would be much more meaningful but usually larger numbers are better :lol:

Do you think the cell towers help the phone to be more accurate in a city were the GPS signals are blocked by the buildings? I've always had trouble in downtown areas with a good GPS lock with my pn-40.

Edited by randyrucker

Cell towers do NOT make GPS coorinates more accurate. In fact they are not accurate enough to locate a building let alone a geocache. Cell tower GPS does help a smart phone out perform a real GPSr in once sense. The tower provides an approximate position and can supply GPS start up data which a GPSr must download from a satelite. So if yo were to get on a plane in LA and get off in NY, the cell phone GPS will make a faster location update. You never see 'Searching for Satellites' because the tower did it for you.

Do you think the cell towers help the phone to be more accurate in a city were the GPS signals are blocked by the buildings? I've always had trouble in downtown areas with a good GPS lock with my pn-40.

*** I have the EVO am having a strange problem. When I get close to the cache, it jumps from one place on the screen to an other, usualy about 50 feet away. Also, it is always backwards. If I am walking forward, I have to turn the screen upside down to follow me.

Anyway, the main thisg is the jumping around the screen. I use C:Geo

Edited by hassmer