Volunteer wanted - Stroud, Gloucs area

RuberyBlue

Hi All,

I currently donate around 4 hours per month working as a geocaching volunteer for a National Trust property in North Worcestershire. I have been approached with a view to getting expressions of interest from cachers local(ish) to Woodchester Park, Nr Stroud, Gloucestershire (Link) who would be willing to volunteer some time to work along similar lines as myself.

If your interested drop me a PM and I'll start the ball rolling.

RuberyBlue

KRO!

Hi All,

I currently donate around 4 hours per month working as a geocaching volunteer for a National Trust property in North Worcestershire. I have been approached with a view to getting expressions of interest from cachers local(ish) to Woodchester Park, Nr Stroud, Gloucestershire (Link) who would be willing to volunteer some time to work along similar lines as myself.

If your interested drop me a PM and I'll start the ball rolling.

RuberyBlue

KRO!

Sadly I couldn't really commit to helping out to that level, as I work full time and tend to have horrendously busy weekends, but I'd just like to say that I'm glad to hear that the wonderful Woodchester Park is embracing geocaching, as it's a place we adore as a family.

(Actually, having said that I couldn't promise a regular 4 hours a month, I am in that area often as although I live in Swindon my other half lives in Gloucester, and his son/my stepson lives in Stroud. So if there was something I could help them with maybe just the odd day/half day here and there, maybe as a back up if their regular volunteer was unavailable, then I'd be happy for you to pass my details on. If you think that might be helpful, please drop me a PM....)

I live in Stroud and wouldn't mind helping if I can in this area. I like most people am incredibly busy but sometimes if something is in the diary then it happens and if not suddenly it's March again so soon. I think we could have a many hands make light work attitude?

Let me have some more details and I can make further decisions with it...

My friend sent me a link to this post though so I am not sure how I am to know if there is a reply? (sorry, bit slow at these computer log things!), Ha just seen a box at the bottom "Enable email notification of replies...

My understanding is that this particular NT site currently has no geocaching offering and will be starting from scratch. Based on this I can only give you my experiences of the Clent Hills (NT).

Clent Hills have five (5) themed caches that they use to run geocaching 'taster' sessions last Sunday in the month – this involves pre-booked groups (Scouts, Brownies etc) loaning an NT GPS (deposit paid) and, after a Geocaching briefing, setting out for an afternoon of caching (unsupported). My volunteer role does not involve me in this.

The five caches each have a theme, with educational cards and activities, which the groups partake in. Clent has the themes:

Soil erosion

Grasses

Clouds

Bugs

Trees

Each cache has a bag with National Trust contents to carry out these activities (Information cards, crayons, sketchbook, magnifying glass, tape measure etc), these are clearly marked as not swappable – although they do go missing!

My current role – to maintain the caches; ensure they have the relevant NT contents prior to the Sunday 'taster' sessions and to manage them as my own under an NT Geocache account. Apart from my time, there is no other outlay from me; this can be as little as one hour per month.

There are obviously lessons learned from this:

• I was not involved in the original cache set up. This meant they were easy finds for the 'taster' groups but very vulnerable to muggling.

• The 'taster' groups are encouraged to bring swaps, due to a lack of experience; this has meant geocoins/ travel bugs going missing!

• The NT activity tools were included in the general cache contents and regularly went missing.

Plans are to develop the NT offering further with caches of a more challenging nature for team building.

I hope this gives you some insight into the role, let me know if you would like some contact details.

Regards

RB

Are the caches within the grounds of a NT property, do you need to pay an admission charge to get in?

I would imagine such caches might be difficult to get posted on GC.com if this is the case. But there's nothing to stop you having 'internal' caches where you pick up the coordinates from the visitor centre.

Myself I maintain a cache on NT property but it's free to access for all.

Are the caches within the grounds of a NT property, do you need to pay an admission charge to get in?

I would imagine such caches might be difficult to get posted on GC.com if this is the case. But there's nothing to stop you having 'internal' caches where you pick up the coordinates from the visitor centre.

Myself I maintain a cache on NT property but it's free to access for all.

there's a small charge for the car park (free for NT members) but no charge to enter the actual grounds

(Woodchester Mansion itself is chargeable, but that's not NT)

there is already one cache in there that I'm aware of, not sure if the NT would know about it though as it's the final to a multi which starts outside (I hope I haven't dropped it in it by saying that!)

I like the idea of 'many hands making light work' and I am sure between us locals we could arrange to share the load so please pass my details on to whoever is setting this up.

My main concern is will a GPS work in this very deep wooded valley ? The only cache placed here is in a clearing high on the side of the valley !

I like the idea of 'many hands making light work' and I am sure between us locals we could arrange to share the load so please pass my details on to whoever is setting this up.

My main concern is will a GPS work in this very deep wooded valley ? The only cache placed here is in a clearing high on the side of the valley !

Even with a decent amount of tree cover GPS should be able to get some signal through. I always think that if there are problems where the GPS might not function correctly then you need to include more details in your description or hint than you would otherwise.