Time at Events

SArSaParilla

I ended up having an argument with the organiser regarding my attendance. I had to describe the scene, letting her know where tables were, what was on them etc.

You have all reassured me.

She was obviously some sort of control freak and wasn't happy that I might want (need) to maintain my privacy, while still continuing to cache. She even complained that I had claimed some of them as FTFs!!

Isn't that part of the game?

This also created a bit of a circular argument: If I wasn't there, how did I get the FTFs?? As it hapens, I didn't claim a single FTF on that occasion.

Thank you everyone for making me feel better. I think I'll keep caching, but maybe no more events.

Cheers,

SArSaParilla

I wouldn't have backed down from claiming the FTF's. Even if you didn't attend the event and happened to find the cache out of miraculous luck, you were still the FTF. There are too many people like that in this game. I find that having a sarcastic cavalier attitude with them usually drops them off their high horse. Cache for yourself and forget about anybody that has a problem with it.

Why is so important to the organiser anyways? 99% of this hobby is based on the honour system. I know I'm not checking the logs of my caches to make sure everyone who claims they have found them have. Does anyone else?

I've been at some events for hours and some for minutes. (Then there was one event where someone stood talking to me all night and so it felt like I had been there all day.... ;) ) The time frame is not important at all.

At the first event I hosted a cacher from the area was bummed he was missing it so he called during the event. I later emailed him and told him to log it since I allow disembodied voices to log my events. If you want I'll send you my cell phone and you can call during my event, say Hi to everybody and log my event!

Some people take the game way to seriously.

Like me, this ain't cyber-caching. Show up or log-off.

If you don't like to play the game this way then don't. But let others play it the way they want. I personally wouldn't log it if I wasn't there. I offered to this cacher and he accepted. Another event I had a cacher called me at the event because he got the times confused, I offered and he declined. It is a freaking game. When it comes down to the important things in life, how a cacher gets his/her smileys does not matter.

How you treat people does matter. Being rude or judgmental is far worse an offence then logging a "bogus" found it/attended.

As the host of the event, she should of been there before anyone showed up. At least, I would be so that I could welcome new cachers. Don't let her get to you. Not worth it! Keep on Caching! Enjoy yourself. Next event you go to, if she hosts it, walk up to her and say HI I'm Here..Please sign this so that I know that you know I was here..LOL

Personally, I would give events (even hers) a second chance. She may have just been having a bad day or had numerous (real) bogus logs to investigate during this particular event that made her extra skeptical or aggressive in her line of questioning. Wipe the slate clean and introduce yourself to the event host. You just might hit it off when you meet in person. Written communications are often misunderstood or taken in a way that was not intended and may have come across very different by voice. If your next event with her is just as bad, FTP!

shortest time would be after you hunt down the cacher with the logbook. But usually after I sign it I get sucked in and say hi to everyone, then start talking about the cache that got away, get hunted down about my puzzles or evil caches, eat some food and after about almost an hour thank the hosts, say my goodbyes and go caching.

To me I think it would be impolite to just sign and run even with Flash Mob events.

I ended up having an argument with the organiser regarding my attendance. I had to describe the scene, letting her know where tables were, what was on them etc.

You have all reassured me.

She was obviously some sort of control freak and wasn't happy that I might want (need) to maintain my privacy, while still continuing to cache.

Thank you everyone for making me feel better. I think I'll keep caching, but maybe no more events.

Cheers,

SArSaParilla

I've had people spend 10 minutes at my events, and others spend 8-12 hours. There is no set "rule".

It's too bad your host is such a CF.

Rather than stop going to events because of her, just don't go to her events.

I recently attended an event, near where I live. I have a disability which makes me reluctant/ unable to go out and meet new people.

I knew the name of the lady who organised the event and when I got there I asked for her by name. She was nowhere to be seen at that time.

I then collected a sheet of new caches for that event and went on my way seeking them.

I found three or four and then went home, having enjoyed myself.

I updated the event listing to say that I had attended.

Later, I received an email from the organiser asking if I had really attended, stating that I shouldn't have put my name down as attended if I hadn't really been there.

I proved to her that I had been, and she said that she wouldn't delete my log entry, but she felt I hadn't really been there as I had only been there for a short while.

Is there a minimum time one has to be there before one can claim to have attended?

I am a newbie, but this has really got me down. I really think I might close my account and stop caching after this very unfriendly, non-understanding intro to the game.

What are other people's thoughts?

name on papyrus = found it[log it]

To anwer your questions, of course, there is no requirement to find caches regularly.

And the 2nd question: sometimes an avid cacher doesn't go out much for a while for various reasons...and his friends suggest he needs an "intervention" to get him back on track. Which probably means some intense group caching. It's something I find amusing anyway. Wanna go caching? :laughing:

official event rules ??

like there is supposed to be a log book, and you are supposed to sign it ?

right ?

just like a real cache, so the CO can check/should if you been there..

I am not a very active event person, sorry :-)

I have seen events with log books, and other with no log.

offcourse the organizer cant know or remember all the faces, and so what..

I hear it is actually more normal NOT to have a log book,

since it dont mean a thing at all, waste of good paper :-)

people can do what ever they like, it is THEIR game,

I play it to have most possible fun