Time at Events

SArSaParilla

I recently attended an event, near where I live. I have a disability which makes me reluctant/ unable to go out and meet new people.

I knew the name of the lady who organised the event and when I got there I asked for her by name. She was nowhere to be seen at that time.

I then collected a sheet of new caches for that event and went on my way seeking them.

I found three or four and then went home, having enjoyed myself.

I updated the event listing to say that I had attended.

Later, I received an email from the organiser asking if I had really attended, stating that I shouldn't have put my name down as attended if I hadn't really been there.

I proved to her that I had been, and she said that she wouldn't delete my log entry, but she felt I hadn't really been there as I had only been there for a short while.

Is there a minimum time one has to be there before one can claim to have attended?

I am a newbie, but this has really got me down. I really think I might close my account and stop caching after this very unfriendly, non-understanding intro to the game.

What are other people's thoughts?

SArSaParilla

Please don't quite due to this one bad experience for you. In the day of 15 minute flash mob events, it sounds like you did fine to me. At one of our events, we had some show up about five minutes after the scheduled time. They hung around for about 20 minutes as some us wrapped things up and just kept chatting. I would never think about deleting their log.

Give another event a shot. Some of the best times I've had caching was hanging with folks at events.

I recently attended an event, near where I live. I have a disability which makes me reluctant/ unable to go out and meet new people.

I knew the name of the lady who organised the event and when I got there I asked for her by name. She was nowhere to be seen at that time.

I then collected a sheet of new caches for that event and went on my way seeking them.

I found three or four and then went home, having enjoyed myself.

I updated the event listing to say that I had attended.

Later, I received an email from the organiser asking if I had really attended, stating that I shouldn't have put my name down as attended if I hadn't really been there.

I proved to her that I had been, and she said that she wouldn't delete my log entry, but she felt I hadn't really been there as I had only been there for a short while.

Is there a minimum time one has to be there before one can claim to have attended?

I am a newbie, but this has really got me down. I really think I might close my account and stop caching after this very unfriendly, non-understanding intro to the game.

SArSaParilla

I have only been to one event, and they had a log to sign. So as far as I am concerned as soon as I put name to paper I "attended", even if I just turned around and left (I happened to stay for the entire event, and had a great time).

I don't think there is a minimum stay requirement. You were there long enough to pick up a sheet of caches, and to find them. You also talked to some folks about where the event coordinator was. In my mind you were there, and participated. I'd feel good about my "attended" log in this case.

That the cache event organizer is flat out wrong, but I wouldn't quit geocaching over the deal. I'd be more like 'Keep your dang smiley. Plenty more where that came from'.

Geocaching offers a wide variety of options. One of those things is that you can choose to cache alone or in a group, when you want to. For example, I like caching in bad weather. That's when I usually have the trail to myself. When I want to share stories I'll go to an event an plop myself down next to someone who looks like they don't know who to talk to.

Don't let one bad experience sour you on the whole game. Remember, "there is one in every crowd." I suspect that if you had hung around you would have met lots of folks who would have made you feel more than welcome, but there is nothing that says you need to hang out for the whole time.

Edit to add-Also remember that even the best of us are human, we make mistakes. The organizer may be a wonderful person who made a mistake.

Edited by GOF & Bacall

I ended up having an argument with the organiser regarding my attendance. I had to describe the scene, letting her know where tables were, what was on them etc.

You have all reassured me.

She was obviously some sort of control freak and wasn't happy that I might want (need) to maintain my privacy, while still continuing to cache. She even complained that I had claimed some of them as FTFs!!

Isn't that part of the game?

This also created a bit of a circular argument: If I wasn't there, how did I get the FTFs?? As it hapens, I didn't claim a single FTF on that occasion.

Thank you everyone for making me feel better. I think I'll keep caching, but maybe no more events.

Cheers,

SArSaParilla

I really think I might close my account and stop caching after this very unfriendly, non-understanding intro to the game.

My thoughts? Do you enjoy playing this game?

If so, why would you even consider walking away because of one negative interaction?

The event host was clearly in the wrong by trying to dictate a time limit as an attendance requirement.

If you've met more than two people in your life, then you know our species has a history of being wrong.

Only you can decide how much impact that fact will have on your feelings about a hobby.

Other thoughts?

When you say "I updated the event listing to say that I had attended", what do you mean?

Did you change your original log type from Will Attend to Attended, then edit the text?

Most folks post two separate logs. One saying they will attend, and another describing their adventure.

Final thoughts?

You've got a way kewl nickname!

In my youth I used to make my own sassafras tea, occasionally adding carbonated water to turn it into root beer.

Yummy stuff!

The event should have a physical log you can sign to "prove" you were there, at least the ones I've attended all have. Could be the organizer audited this log and didn't see your name (assuming here that you didn't sign a log at the event?) so she decided to follow up with you to make sure you really attended.

Thank you everyone for making me feel better. I think I'll keep caching, but maybe no more events.

Cheers,

SArSaParilla

I'm glad you feel better. As to no more events, why don't you re-consider and say no more events put on by this person? I'm sure others will have events and I'm sure they are more laid back about the attending. You will meet some nice people and probably a number of them want to meet you.

I am surprised that the event didn't have a log for you to sign. If there wasn't a log, then that's the organizers problem, and they shouldn't put the onus on attendees to prove they were there after the fact.

Most events I have attended don't have any time requirements. You show up, sign the log -- if there is one -- and if you want to, hang out and chat with people or participate in any planned events. Usually, if there are new caches tied in to the event then I'm more inclined to wander off and look for them then sit around at the event site.

I've seen people come to an event, sign the log and leave and post an "attended". To me that isn't what events are about, but if that is what floats their boat who am I to say they shouldn't do that?

I recall one event where a fairly well known out of state power cacher logged a will attend. I went there and had my eyes out for him, but never saw him. Nobody else I spoke with had seen him either. He logged an "attended" though. Who knows, maybe he drove by and beeped. But I don't think any of the organizers remotely considered deleting his log.

Anyway, what you did is perfectly fine. I've seen many people do something similar. Come in, grab the sheet of caches then head off on a hunt, never to return. You were there, you get to log an "attended".

Don't let running into one of the handful of control freaks in the sport turn you off to events or geocaching in general. Try another event (preferably one hosted by someone else) and maybe stick around a bit. You will meet some fine people.

I dont know why the lady even asked if you were there since you clearly found caches posted that day. 1+1=2. You didnt claim any FTF's, you just posted logs before everybody else.

I personally would just ignore every event they throw and forget about the whole situation. As long as you had a good time finding the caches you did find then you accomplished what you wanted to do.

I dont know why the lady even asked if you were there since you clearly found caches posted that day. 1+1=2. You didnt claim any FTF's, you just posted logs before everybody else.

That's right. I never claimed the FTFs on the paper logs in the caches, I just happened to update the GC.com listings before anyone else. That was because I was online when the notifications of new caches came through the day after the event.

Is that an OK thing to do?

The etiquette of the game (or this one woman) is confusing me.

I guess I'll keep going - how else can I keep track of my TBs?

I ended up having an argument with the organiser regarding my attendance. I had to describe the scene, letting her know where tables were, what was on them etc.

Wow. That organiser seems a little over zellous about preventing bogus logs.

You did fine. Instead of worrying about whether or not you were "really" there, the event organizer should be figuring out what happened to all those TB's that are still listed as being at the event, 5 days after it was over.

Now I have only attended one event (a CITO), but there was not "log". There were reliese forms from the city, but no log.

She was obviously some sort of control freak

This is the point at which I would have lost it with them. In effect, theyre implying your lying!!!! I would have described the scene in detail and then tell them to stick their event and their smiley! And to think they were using the event to raise money for Help for Heroes too!! They need a major attitude readjustment - but that's just me, I cant tolerate control freeks. You did good handling it the way you did... and you definately attended in anyones books!! The key thing is you said you had fun doing the caches, so dont let a ''control freek '' put you off enjoying further caches. As already commented, they'd be better off spending their time sorting out whats happened to the 19 TB's still showing in the event inventory!!!!

Edited by 4 and The Dog

Dang. Got a minute? I'm surprised Micro events never took off. And no, that wasn't the only one, there were several. <_<

Heh, that made me laugh. I actually kinda like that idea for an annual joke event to see how many folks you could get to come. I bet it'd take off pretty well with the locals.

And from what I understand about logs at events, I thought Groundspeak was trying to do away with pretty much all caches that don't require a signature of some type, example being virtuals. I think the logs at events are probably an attempt at keeping in line with the new way of thinking regarding those signable logs. That's been my take on things.

I think I've been to a grand total of 4 events now, but all of them have included a log.

Wow! That sounds like one CO whose events I would ignore. With an attitude like that, I'd probably ignore all her caches too! Don't let XXXX's spoil your fun!

Speaking of events... The first one I went to was in the evening. A local cacher had a TB that I could help with its goal, and agreed to bring it to the event for me. I suffer from night-blindness, and usually avoid driving at night. I was at the event fifteen minutes. (Got the TB, and took it to the Statue of Liberty, which was its goal.) (Gratuitous photo of TB with Lady Liberty...)

5b919ded-da13-4b32-998d-cf782b96f1fc.jpg

Headed home (while thre was still somel ight), and logged the event. Next log was a note from an (unnamed) moderator...

Wow people are logging finds and I'm still sitting here in work icon_smile_sad.gif

<_<

You attended the event! You deserve the smiley!

We got a reviewer around here that will show up for only 5 mins and he is gone. LOL! I think its so funny when he does it!

I got a story when I was up for the GeoWoodstock event in Washington and that evening there was another event for geocoin and I dont know how many people sign the log book and head out the door without checking out the coins!

Definitely don’t bother going to any more of that person’s events – she doesn’t exactly sound friendly and welcoming, which IMO are essential qualities for an event host

I think I attended my first event for a grand total of about 5 minutes – I made the mistake of not having loaded the event co-ords onto my GPS, as I thought I knew from the description where everyone was going to be congregating. Turns out they were at a different location in a rather large public park so it took us a few hours to find them, by which time the event was basically over.

The logbook for the event had already been packed away but the organiser was kind enough to dig it out for me, I signed it, and we said hello, goodbye, and left.

I would have been rather upset (as you clearly are) if my “attended” log had been challenged – I (eventually) found the event, and signed the log, it’s a type of geocache after all, so that should be enough.

I'm choosing not to judge the actions of the event organizer without her being here to defend herself and hearing her side of things. As Dr. Phil says, "No matter how flat you make a pancake, it still has two sides." (Ugh, I need to stop being in the room when my wife watches him!) Anyway...

As an event organizer, I've never had an issue with people who only show up for a small amount of time. Five minutes or five hours, you were there and you can thus say you "Attended".

With an event of any size, it would be very rare for me to get a chance to see everyone or to even know who many of the new players are, so I always expect to see some Attended logs where I am asking "I wonder who that was." I've never thought of questioning their attendance though.

As a side note, the "log book at an event" thing must be a regional thing. I had never seen one at any of our local events until someone from out of the local area showed up at one of my events and started questioning everyone about where was the log:

-- "How can you call it a cache without a logbook?"

-- "I can't claim a smiley if I can't sign the log!"

Eventually someone produced a sheet of paper and he signed which calmed him down. It was quite funny, actually. I'd never seen one of the true "puritans" in action before. :)

im

Anyway, since then logbooks at the more well-organized local events have become slightly more common, although I certainly never bother with them at any of mine.

Don't let this experience get you down. Events can be great fun.

I'm choosing not to judge the actions of the event organizer without her being here to defend herself and hearing her side of things. As Dr. Phil says, "No matter how flat you make a pancake, it still has two sides." (Ugh, I need to stop being in the room when my wife watches him!) Anyway...

You're right! I too would like to here how deleting the OP's log at an event prevented the destruction of the Earth.

Cheers,

SArSaParilla

there's no reason to avoid events, they are great and is unfortunate your first experience had to be a sour one

just pick events that are organized by other cachers

it never occurred to me to interrogate anyone that attended my 10 Years event, that also logged 3-4 other 10 Year events on the same day

As a side note, the "log book at an event" thing must be a regional thing. I had never seen one at any of our local events until someone from out of the local area showed up at one of my events and started questioning everyone about where was the log:
Most of the events I've been to have had a log and a container for trackables. But I don't worry about it if the log book is "virtual", or if the log sheets are sticky on the back and have "Hello, my name is" printed at the top. :)

dont do that, if you do, they win!

i had similar happen by a snooty waitress that told me if i wasn't going to order anything i had to get off the property, luckily i had signed the logbook about 5 minutes earlier. I left

ignore (i'm going to have to choke refering to her as you do) choke! coke! choke! "the lady" I do she will soon go away in a strop. :yikes:

I'm glad she won't venture in this part of the forum so I can write what I like hopefully without any comeback we have a strained relationship and I tend to keep her at arms length preferably on a lead.

if you do have any further problems let me know

you could come to this event http://coord.info/GC2CRM5 and kiss and make up with (choke!) "the lady"

seriously I don't bite, you can even hide under a table at the event I don't care

Edited by Munkeh

I am also very reluctant to be in large groups of people, I get severe anxiety attacks. But I have been considering going to one of my local events but I keep going back and forth on if I really want to go. I would probably do the same thing, just go and meet a few people, look around and when things get too overwhelming head out. I would hate to have to explain myself once I had already been there and then not be believed.

-- "How can you call it a cache without a logbook?"

-- "I can't claim a smiley if I can't sign the log!"

Did anyone else flash on a Pink Floyd song when they read this? Or was the joke obvious and I'm just dense?

anyways, I have found that a lot of geocachers are solitary souls who are generally uncomfortable in crowds. Geo-events can be wonderful opportunities to meet kindrid spirits. I would say to OP's experience is uncommon. Don't give up!

OK, here it is:

"If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!"

"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!?"

(All right, it's a stretch... I'm strange, and I'm proud!)

Good point. As is sometimes the case with e-mail, maybe the message was interpreted wrong. It may be that the CO was just trying to insure accuriate logging. Maybe no harrasment intended. The statment that the OP shouldn't realy have logged the cache because of the short attendance suggests otherwise, but who knows?

Most of the events I've been to have had a log and a container for trackables. But I don't worry about it if the log book is "virtual", or if the log sheets are sticky on the back and have "Hello, my name is" printed at the top. :yikes:

That's just awesome. I love that. Technically speaking, in that case, I've been quite a log sheet myself at a couple of events. At one, I was like one of those refrigerator magnet games.

Don't let your experience at one event stop you from going to other events. The first two events I went to were the same day. The first was a flash mob and then I went from that to another event. At that event I had never felt like such an outsider and decided no way was I ever going to another event. Well a few months later there was an event within walking distance from my house and I decided to go. I figured I wouldn't stay long.Had a great time and have been to many more events since.

Cheers,

SArSaParilla

I'm glad you feel better. As to no more events, why don't you re-consider and say no more events put on by this person? I'm sure others will have events and I'm sure they are more laid back about the attending. You will meet some nice people and probably a number of them want to meet you.

+1 I've attended a pretty good number of events, and they're all different. I would just avoid events put on by that person. Normally they're friendly places! I'm sorry about your interaction with the event organizer. It's too bad she couldn't have been more sensitive to the fact that it was your first event.

At the first event I hosted a cacher from the area was bummed he was missing it so he called during the event. I later emailed him and told him to log it since I allow disembodied voices to log my events. If you want I'll send you my cell phone and you can call during my event, say Hi to everybody and log my event!

Some people take the game way to seriously.

At the first event I hosted a cacher from the area was bummed he was missing it so he called during the event. I later emailed him and told him to log it since I allow disembodied voices to log my events. If you want I'll send you my cell phone and you can call during my event, say Hi to everybody and log my event!

Some people take the game way to seriously.

Like me, this ain't cyber-caching. Show up or log-off.