REAL Night Caches

LizzyHoops

Hey all, can someone point me in the direction of some information on night caches? And I don't mean SLs that are in a 24/7 lit parking lot. I mean flashlights and fire tacks type caches. I really want to find a few and I would like to hide one too. But when I search for them, I turn up all these with the night attribute that are just regular caches that can be done after the sun goes down. Anybody know where to go to get more info?

Got links to caches?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hey all, can someone point me in the direction of some information on night caches? And I don't mean SLs that are in a 24/7 lit parking lot. I mean flashlights and fire tacks type caches. I really want to find a few and I would like to hide one too. But when I search for them, I turn up all these with the night attribute that are just regular caches that can be done after the sun goes down. Anybody know where to go to get more info?

Got links to caches?

If you ever head down under there's Nightcaching.Org (also exists as a Bookmark).

Many night caches are listed as Puzzle/Mystery caches, so if you run a PQ looking for for puzzle caches that have the flashlight/recommended at night attributes, you should be able to find some. And of course, Groundspeak has now included a "Night Cache" attribute but it's hard to say if owners have updated their listings to include it.

Bruce

Many night caches are listed as Puzzle/Mystery caches, so if you run a PQ looking for for puzzle caches that have the flashlight/recommended at night attributes, you should be able to find some. And of course, Groundspeak has now included a "Night Cache" attribute but it's hard to say if owners have updated their listings to include it.

Bruce

Thanks all, I will check out the websites. Also, I realize I was using the "recommended at night" attribute instead of the "Night cache". Still none within 100 miles...yet! I think I am going to make one. But I've also been wanting to make a puzzle cache, and a multi-cache, and a 5/5 cache, and a seed cache. I wonder what would happen if I rolled them all into one craaaaaaaaaazy cache. Epic? I think I'll try. I wonder if anyone would do it?

Thanks all, I will check out the websites. Also, I realize I was using the "recommended at night" attribute instead of the "Night cache". Still none within 100 miles...yet! I think I am going to make one. But I've also been wanting to make a puzzle cache, and a multi-cache, and a 5/5 cache, and a seed cache. I wonder what would happen if I rolled them all into one craaaaaaaaaazy cache. Epic? I think I'll try. I wonder if anyone would do it?

There you go, place your own! Technically, a night cache using tacks is a multicache but since the tacks' coordinates are not required to be listed and the cache is not at the posted coordinates, it's listed under the Mystery cache category.

As for the seed cache idea, you do know that you can't force anyone to plant a seed cache in order to log yours, right? That's an ALR and not allowed. I know seed caches still exist, but I don't think new ones get published. Unless you are placing a drum filled with ammo can seeds...then you might get an exception :P

In CT, night caches usually use a mix of GPS coordinates and reflectors. The reflectors often start 1/4 mile down the trail or more so that casual visitors to the area don't discover them.

Around here most cachers have settled on a "standard" way of placing the reflectors that imitate hiking blazes. A single reflector means to keep going and keep looking for additional reflectors.

If there's a turn in the trail, there are 2 reflectors on top of each other with the top one being offset in the direction of the turn, so a left turn would have a bottom reflector with the top one offset to the left a bit.

If cachers are required to look for info such as a container or something, owners will either put 3 reflectors on top of each other or put 3 in a triangle pattern.

If the distance between stages is far (1/2 mile, something like that), some cachers will skip reflectors for part of the way and put coordinates in the stage and tell people to go there and look for the start of another reflector trail.

Usually a cache done in the nighttime should have a higher terrain than if it were being rated for the day because of being harder to see. Also, depending on when it's placed, reflectors can get hidden as leaves fill in during the summer.

What would be the advantage to a night only cache?

just curious

I live in a city. Not that I'm afeared of the dark but there are ZOMBIES out at night

ZOMBIES

Most night caches are in the woods, and almost all of the ones that we've found had some kind of scary element to them. Senses always seem to be elevated in the dark, and when you go to open a stage and something scary happens, it can really make you jump.

That said, we've found a very urban night cache that was in the heart of downtown Newport, Rhode Island. It was great because we were walking around the city and ended up at a super sweet park.

Permission should be obtained for all caches, but this is especially important for a night cache. If someone's caching in the day and gets questioned by the authorities (park rangers, police...whoever that may be), they are generally pretty friendly, but if someone's stopped at night with flashlights in an area they're not supposed to be, it can be worse. In CT, most state parks close at dusk, but a lot of local parks are open later.

Edited by Skippermark

As for the seed cache idea, you do know that you can't force anyone to plant a seed cache in order to log yours, right? That's an ALR and not allowed. I know seed caches still exist, but I don't think new ones get published. Unless you are placing a drum filled with ammo can seeds...then you might get an exception :rolleyes:

No, not as an ALR, as an OA. Which I understand is perfectly fine. Why would it not get approved? It is just like leaving a cache starter kit as swag. The only difference is that I am asking that if they like, to send me a message to let me know they planted a seed, so I can list it on my cache's page, so everyone can see where the seeds went. I don't understand what could be bad about that. Do you have any references where it says this is not allowed?

May I ask a night cache question? Since most of them are multi caches. Does a person have a logbook at each cache or just the final cache?

We have no night caches near me and I've been toying with the idea of doing one

Forbidden Forest only has a log at the final way point. It only has one additional waypoint making it a multi.

Althought someone could post individual caches within the rules and make the final a mystery cache for a series.

I have always loved night caches. Especially here in Texas it is sometimes the only time the temperatures are tolerable. There are certainly more issues with setting one up, parks that close at night, safe areas in respect to terrain and local inhabitants, etc. There is a lack of them around here so I just recently set up a new one(GC2E7V2 ). This is a very simple one to get new commers used to the idea of caching at night. I am working on another one that will be far more involved and a lot more fun. I will be using ideas I gained from this one - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f1-b587fef7b217. It will be quite involved but I believe worth it in the end. The previous cache was one of my all time favorites.

The forbidden forest one looks really cool. I like the reflector idea too, sounds fun. I'm sure the parks around here close at dusk. There are big friendly signs to that effect complete with locking gates. I've gone running in the park pre-dawn because I'm such a rebel and let's be honest that rule is more about homeless people and kids drinking than idiotic people out running at 5 in the morning, but I think it would be pushing things to set up a night cache.

stream of consciousness is fun

As for the seed cache idea, you do know that you can't force anyone to plant a seed cache in order to log yours, right? That's an ALR and not allowed. I know seed caches still exist, but I don't think new ones get published. Unless you are placing a drum filled with ammo can seeds...then you might get an exception :rolleyes:

No, not as an ALR, as an OA. Which I understand is perfectly fine. Why would it not get approved? It is just like leaving a cache starter kit as swag. The only difference is that I am asking that if they like, to send me a message to let me know they planted a seed, so I can list it on my cache's page, so everyone can see where the seeds went. I don't understand what could be bad about that. Do you have any references where it says this is not allowed?

The seed caches I was referring to were the kind that if you found the cache, you had to take one of the seeds (usually a film canister), place it and get it published before the CO would allow you to log a find on the cache the seed came from.

Your cache isn't that type of seed cache and should not have a problem getting published. Sorry for the confusion...when you say "seed cache", I immediately think of the example above. I rather like your idea and hope it turns out!

Regarding "Seed" caches: Here is a great cache that also works out as a seed cache without an ALR: Holy Macro! GC17WY1 check out the photo gallery! My daughter and I were the third group to find.... quite a challenge.

For night caches: here is mine: Noleta Nightlife GC1DA6N In addition to a variety of reflectors, I added waypoint coordinates at two points that allow you to "skip ahead" past some tricky sections of reflectors. That way if someone loses the trail they can recover and still get to the end. I like the cache page too...

I read about a cache that could be done only at midnight (or for those too distracted, scared, etc, a second chance was given at 0:07 AM). Unfortunately, I cannot locate the listing. It was interesting, because there weren't reflective markings to be followed. It was based on a talking clock, that "spoke" the coordinates for the final.

If someone knows which cache I'm talking about, please post a link; the listing was also artistically written, it's worth reading.

May I ask a night cache question? Since most of them are multi caches. Does a person have a logbook at each cache or just the final cache?

We have no night caches near me and I've been toying with the idea of doing one

night caches are listed as mysteries

and no, multi caches don't have a logbook in each container, only the final does since its just one cache technically...no matter how many stages it has you log one find only

I read about a cache that could be done only at midnight (or for those too distracted, scared, etc, a second chance was given at 0:07 AM). Unfortunately, I cannot locate the listing. It was interesting, because there weren't reflective markings to be followed. It was based on a talking clock, that "spoke" the coordinates for the final.

If someone knows which cache I'm talking about, please post a link; the listing was also artistically written, it's worth reading.

That one has been on my "to do" list for a while:

http://coord.info/GCT3V0

i have just completed a couple of night caches in England - proper ones with fire tacks-awesome fun,

it would be great if theses had their own icon - so that you could easily find them on the hide and seek page.

they have an attribute now, only if CO would bother using them

There are a few near me in southeast Michigan. Two of them involved sensors that only worked when you put a flashlight beam on them. The sensors had little red lights that blinked on and off and you had to count the number of blinks in order to determine the final coordinates. Although they weren't in the middle of the forest (they were in small suburban wooded areas) they were a lot of fun. I love these types of caches! There are a couple on my to do list that are in northern Michigan, and there are a couple in Ohio that look interesting. I used the flashlight icon to find these ones. I think the new night cache icon will help too. If you are ever in southern Michigan, look up caches by Stan&Ruth. Not only are their night caches cool, but they also have some regular caches that are pretty creative.

Got links to caches?

Are you planning to come to Vancouver, BC soon? There are 6 I can think of here.