Returned Unit (again) (9/6/10)

WaterRitual

Today I returned my Garmin 550T. The problem was that little clip that holds the memory chip in place. I swear I spent hours trying to get it to fit, but no go. Putting in that little metal in nice 80 degree weather, but I can' imagine doing it in sub-zero temperatures on a mountain. I'm really disappointed.... I really wanted this unit. I had returned the 450T because I wanted the camera, plus there were little things I've mentioned before (like the manual not mating the unit). So.... now I have to do some research before I buy my next. I might wait out the winter.

Thanks everyone for answering everyone of my messages and generally being friendly. I would certainly behave in the same way with other Geocachers.

- WR

Today I returned my Garmin 550T. The problem was that little clip that holds the memory chip in place. I swear I spent hours trying to get it to fit, but no go. Putting in that little metal in nice 80 degree weather, but I can' imagine doing it in sub-zero temperatures on a mountain. I'm really disappointed.... I really wanted this unit. I had returned the 450T because I wanted the camera, plus there were little things I've mentioned before (like the manual not mating the unit). So.... now I have to do some research before I buy my next. I might wait out the winter.

I'm curious, is the clip different between the 450 and the 550?

Based on the owners manual, they appear to be the same. On the 450 the clip stays in the unit, you slide the the clip out of the locked position and flip it up, insert the card into the tray, lower the clip and slide it back into the locked position.

Thanks everyone for answering everyone of my messages and generally being friendly. I would certainly behave in the same way with other Geocachers.

- WR

I must admit it is a bit cumbersome. However, even "big thumbs" (me) is able to install it in 30 seconds or so. Question: why would you be changing the chip in sub-zero weather? Wouldn't you do this in a nice warm room in front of the fire. I think you gave up on a really good GPSr a bit to soon.

Yes, I really hate to see the 500T go. The thing had EVERYthing I wanted. However, the manual mentioned little, regarding the placement chip. Sure, there is the possibility that I did something wrong, but it's one one of those things where if you put too much force on the thin clip, that's the end.

Can anyone reccomend an unit similar? Because I loved that think. As it I's stuck with a DVD and 1G chip for which I would like to see functioning.

Man... I had those two units (450t & 550T) and I was in heaven. I don't want to sink half a grand into another for which I had no help. Which brings me to another point... The 450T I purchased at a local store and it was easy to go in and ask questions. The 550T I had to send away to NYC and I could ask whiway was up on the clip.

To answer one person's question, I live in a climate that get darn cold up in the mountains and it can get pretty numbing in places.

- WR

Edited by WaterRitual

Yes, I really hate to see the 500T go. The thing had EVERYthing I wanted. However, the manual mentioned little, regarding the placement chip. Sure, there is the possibility that I did something wrong, but it's one one of those things where if you put too much force on the thin clip, that's the end.

Can anyone reccomend an unit similar? Because I loved that think. As it I's stuck with a DVD and 1G chip for which I would like to see functioning.

Man... I had those two units (450t & 550T) and I was in heaven. I don't want to sink half a grand into another for which I had no help. Which brings me to another point... The 450T I purchased at a local store and it was easy to go in and ask questions. The 550T I had to send away to NYC and I could ask whiway was up on the clip.

To answer one person's question, I live in a climate that get darn cold up in the mountains and it can get pretty numbing in places.

- WR

Same question: Why do you need to change a chip outside. Don't you do this before you go out caching or hiking?

I must admit it is a bit cumbersome. However, even "big thumbs" (me) is able to install it in 30 seconds or so. Question: why would you be changing the chip in sub-zero weather? Wouldn't you do this in a nice warm room in front of the fire. I think you gave up on a really good GPSr a bit to soon.

Well, I will often find myself removing my SD card while out in the field, to move data around, but then again, I only have an Oregon 400t, so I must manage my GPX files in smaller chunks. Heck, there are almost twice as many active caches in Cook County IL than what my Oregon will hold as caches. For this reason, I often have to move GPX files around when the caching group changes plans while out on the road. I keep my old Windows Mobile PDA around because it can read the micro SDHC card in an adapter allowing me to move the files easily while away from my computer.

Yea-why is there a reason to EVER take out the chip once you install it? If it is not big enough, buy a bigger one and keep everything on the card.

That's just it - I wanted to cram as big a card as possible so I wouldn't have to switch to other maps/cards I got my hands on. The single 24K Map I bought pretty much fills the card. My card was 1 Gig and I was hoping for something (albeit more expefore)

- WR

- WR

Same question: Why do you need to change a chip outside. Don't you do this before you go out caching or hiking?

Again, we reach the crux of the biscuit. I would like a larger card so I never have to do the card change again The one map I bought pretty much fills the 1 Gig card I originally bought.

- WR

Well, I will often find myself removing my SD card while out in the field, to move data around, but then again, I only have an Oregon 400t, so I must manage my GPX files in smaller chunks. Heck, there are almost twice as many active caches in Cook County IL than what my Oregon will hold as caches. For this reason, I often have to move GPX files around when the caching group changes plans while out on the road. I keep my old Windows Mobile PDA around because it can read the micro SDHC card in an adapter allowing me to move the files easily while away from my computer.

Yet another I would like a larger card. I want to store caches as well a** the the pictures that go with them

- WR

Yea-why is there a reason to EVER take out the chip once you install it? If it is not big enough, buy a bigger one and keep everything on the card.

Once I get the maximum card, I never inrend it again.

I just can BELIEVE such a small intregel piece of thin metal is what the whole unit rely on. The 450T seemed to pop right in there, whereas this 550T ..... I spent hours trying to "think I got it to "nope don't got it.

- WR

Based on the owners manual, they appear to be the same. On the 450 the clip stays in the unit, you slide the the clip out of the locked position and flip it up, insert the card into the tray, lower the clip and slide it back into the locked position.

No, they are not the same. The clip on my 450T would come right out of the unit (I had to pay careful which way it went back it) The manual is very brief on lots of issues (I would expect more, paying that much for the GPS). Also, the manual does indeed differ. I believe it covers four different models.

- WR

No, they are not the same. The clip on my 450T would come right out of the unit (I had to pay careful which way it went back it) The manual is very brief on lots of issues (I would expect more, paying that much for the GPS). Also, the manual does indeed differ. I believe it covers four different models.

- WR

- WR

I'm starting to think there was genuinely think there was something wrong with the unit. The clip would fall out at the drop of a hat, even after I unlocked, mounted the chip (which didn't really "plug in" but would sit in it's place until I tried to lock it in place" On both the 450T and the 550T there was no printing or indication on that little metal clip which way it should be mounted(I mentioned earlier about them coming out. With delicate parts such as these, I've learned not to try to "force" anything.

The metal clip will be damaged if you do not seat the memory chip correctly and then push the clip down. I did that on one of my Oregons, either the 200, the 300, or the 450, and the clip subsequently fell out a couple of time. I squeezed the end two ends together and put it back in and I never had the problem again. So, just be sure that you place the memory chip in correctly before sliding the little cover. I take out my memory chips 3-4 times a week to replace them with different chips, or to move the files around when I geocache outside of my normal area.

- WR

I'm starting to think there was genuinely think there was something wrong with the unit. The clip would fall out at the drop of a hat, even after I unlocked, mounted the chip (which didn't really "plug in" but would sit in it's place until I tried to lock it in place" On both the 450T and the 550T there was no printing or indication on that little metal clip which way it should be mounted(I mentioned earlier about them coming out. With delicate parts such as these, I've learned not to try to "force" anything.