Cache Recommendations

rtyrie

Next week I will be traveling to BC for about a week, dividing my time between Kelowna and Revelstoke. Does anyone have any recommendations for good caches in this area? I will not find many caches, so I'm trying to locate the more interesting ones. Currently, the Mt Revelstoke virtual looks interesting (I love interesting virtuals and earthcaches), as well as the traditional caches on hikes in Glacier National Park.

I've just started looking at the Kelowna area, but the number of caches there is overwhelming, so any advice is appreciated! I mostly enjoy caches in natural areas rather than urban caches.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mt Revelstoke is amazing. The views are spectacular. The meadows may still be in bloom and there are a few look outs on the drive up. You will also want to do GCPQRF - River Trail - TCDNAB. The find is easy, short walk, and a fantastic view of the bridge. Depending on how you are driving you may also want to check out GCXY6Q - One Second Falls. A short hike to an amazing falls. Plenty of parking. I spent just over two weeks out there in the summer in an RV with the family and loved every minute.

How is the OP travelling? That can have an effect on choices... A drive from ON to BC and back offers many options... Flying and using a rental car others... Certainly are lots of caches to be had... One thing is that the weather is a changing... last week summer, this week looks like early fall for sure over here.

Doug 7rxc

Thats what I suspected... still a nice trip, I used to live in Vernon for a few years... Toronto was home.

There are plenty of caches along that route... For another trip (you will be back you know) Fly to Calgary and try the big loop across the way you are currently travelling, then go (or come for that matter if you reverse it...) back to Calgary across HWY 3 thru Cranbrook... LOTS more good caches that way as well.

You can tell I'm partial to the East Kootenays these days... Point is there is plenty to choose from at all levels of terrain and difficulty, traditional to evil puzzle. Have a good trip and enjoy yourself... this could be a very short fall from what I hear... so come dressed for cool or hot... those Okanagan beaches stay usable quite a while... but the snow is coming... a lot different here... higher altitude and different weather pattern.

I was in a very minor flurry only a few hours ago, in front of where I live... not many tiny flakes, but it was there, and more a bit higher on the hillside... but did not stay very long... Haven't had much since the last week of May though...

Doug 7rxc

In Kelowna you could do this one. It's a little famous since the bomb squad responded to/found it.

Lol, I just noticed who hid that. It's funny because I know him now.

I LOVE Glacier National Park. There weren't any caches to find when i was there last (2 years), so I can't speak for the caches. I will however recommend the Glacier Crest Trail for hiking, if you can handle thousand meter gain hikes. I'm not 100% sure the trails are open and free of snow this time of year though. It's very beautiful there.

One Second Falls - as previously mentioned is a great cache, my kids needed a stop on the way to Revelstoke and we hit this cache just by luck and thought it was an amazing location.

In Kelowna, if you like hikes and there is a Series called the Central Okanagan Challenge, it has about 10 caches in the series using various hide methods and great locations. The final cache in the series is an amazing hike with a fanastic view of Lake Okanagan. Kerry&Shannon are the CO on these caches if you want to look them up.

Also, Mission Creek Creek Park is a linear park that runs through Kelowna, (from Lake Okanagan to Gallagers Canyon). There are alot of caches and you can check out the Salmon run (maybe if timing is right)

Finally, the Kettle Valley Railway trestles are a must see and it is a great trail to bike or hike. (the trestles were restored after the Okanagan Mountain park fire in 2003) These are located in the Mrya Bellevue Protected Area (South east Kelowna)

Hope to see you out on the trails!!

Cheers, the Fonty family

Also, Mission Creek Creek Park is a linear park that runs through Kelowna, (from Lake Okanagan to Gallagers Canyon). There are alot of caches and you can check out the Salmon run (maybe if timing is right)

Finally, the Kettle Valley Railway trestles are a must see and it is a great trail to bike or hike. (the trestles were restored after the Okanagan Mountain park fire in 2003) These are located in the Mrya Bellevue Protected Area (South east Kelowna)

These are both great suggestions. I visit Kelowna frequently and enjoy caching in both of these places.

I'm always pleased to get visitors to my Kelowna caches, particularly this one.

P.S. I'm generous with hints. :)

These are both great suggestions. I visit Kelowna frequently and enjoy caching in both of these places.

I'm always pleased to get visitors to my Kelowna caches, particularly this one.

P.S. I'm generous with hints. :huh:

I intend to mark that for attention for my next trip to Kelowna... I see you found the one I maintain on the WBTruck in Sparwood... I would have come down to say hi IF I had known you were travelling through...

I enjoy watching some of the caching efforts there... I'll let you know when I try yours...

Doug 7rxc.

Thanks once again for the suggestions. I'm flying out tomorrow. I'm not sure how much time I will have for caching, but I'm hoping to find at least a couple good ones.

Narcissa - Your cache looks interesting, but I'm not confident that I will get to it due to time limitations in the Kelowna part of my trip. I was once thinking of creating a similar cache in my town. Circles are my favourite shape :huh: .

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am now back from my trip. There were some slight changes to our itinerary and I ended up not finding any caches in Kelowna, but found a few in Vernon., my favourite being GC1QWA6. However, my favourite cache of the entire trip was the Mt. Revelstoke virtual - GC9BCD. We ended up hiking the backcountry trails that began there, and spent the entire day hiking on the mountain - great times, but sore knees!