JACARU

Just to warn people, as you will see from this forum post my user name has changed. This has not been done by myself. My account has been hacked and my name changed without authorisation. This is also a name aimed at my sexuality. I have informed my local reviewer and Groundspeak and it will be reported to the police in the morning. Please be aware as this could happen to you.

Strooth, I thought this site was reasonably safe from hackers - unlike getsat.

Do you think the hacker has got in through a security flaw in the site, or is it someone who knows enough about you to have been able to guess at some passwords you might use?

Hope it gets sorted - fast.

Why are there always people willing to spend time and effort (however little) messing up other people.

So sorry Jacaru. :P

Personally I support your decision to go to the Police given the circumstances and history here, unless the immature person who did this is brave enough to own up and apologise?

Take solice in the fact that you have lots of friends here on this site and I hope the person responsible is identified and banned.

Get the name changed back and then change the password really strong.

I just wonder who is so malicious and petty that they would stoop this low.

I have tried changing the name back, but can't as it is already taken, (by me). When I log in as Jacaru I have basic membership, no finds and no hides. Just waiting for Groundspeak to get in touch and then off to the police.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Get the name changed back and then change the password really strong.

I just wonder who is so malicious and petty that they would stoop this low.

I have tried changing the name back, but can't as it is already taken, (by me). When I log in as Jacaru I have basic membership, no finds and no hides. Just waiting for Groundspeak to get in touch and then off to the police.

Thanks everyone for your support.

change basic account into jac-basic, change main account back to Jacaru?

Why do people always assume everything is too trivial to take up 'valuable police time'.

From the outset of the OP it was clear this was a targetted thing not a case of random hacking.

Then the OP mentions having received emails from people using the same language toward him.

I am therefore guessing it is someone he knows, or knows of. I'm also guessing this has been going on for a while.

Clearly there is more to this than just a hacker getting into someone's account and being a bit silly.

For all we know it could be the culmination of a series of emails letters or whatever that would in any normal persons mind amount to a campaign of harrasment. Which is nasty. And illegal. And something that will be taken seriously by the police if there is sufficient evidence.

It's not our place, on a forum, to make decisions based on partial information as to whether this should be a police matter or not. Nor to express incredulity that Jacaru should have the temerity to take the matter to the police.

Only Jacaru knows the full story but posted the latest development here to warn everyone that there was someone out there targetting certain members of the GC community - perhaps.

As for whether this would be taking up valuable police time, that decision can only be made by a person in full knowledge of all the facts.

I think the police are probably clever enough to work out what is serious and what's not based on the information they are given. They will decide if it is a waste of their time.

The OP will go and speak with a desk sergeant or perhaps a community protection officer or whatever they might be called and have a 10 minute chat explaining what has happened.

Then the police will decide if it is something they can get involved in. They're quite experienced in these things.

How much of their valuable time does that take up? Someone might have to wait longer in the queue to see if their wallet has been handed in.

Please don't have a go at Jacaru for wanting to do what he feels he needs to do at this stage. It's his decision and I doubt he will get arrested for wasting police time.

Whilst Jacaru is not predjucing any investigation by naming any suspects, some of us have already jumped to conclusions. I hope we are wrong.

It shows how important it is to use different passwords for different sites, just in case one gets hacked and passwords are read. It is all too easy to use one password for many sites (basic human nature).

Sorry, but you really intend to waste more valuable police time?

It's not as if they stole your identity and ran off with your savings.

Is it?

I should sue the charm school for your money back Kev.

To the OP - chin up and as they others have said, don't let it get you down. It reflects badly only upon these sad individuals and not you.

Oh my word Jacaru.... That's dreadful....

Just a word of support really - let you know that most people you will meet through caching are decent human beings, who are united through their love of hunting Tupperware, not to castigate folk, nor be downright nasty...

My thoughts are with you!

It sure beats wandering the streets looking for hardened criminals that may fight back.

Most people's lives are not blighted by hardened criminals. They are blighted by minor theft, vandalism and anti-social behaviour.

(Or is that just Cornwall :D )

If the police ignored this stuff as you seem to suggest they should, and only went for the major league criminals, then they'd probably have a lot of time on their hands and our lives would probably be noticeably worse.

I have only ever been shot during an armed robbery once in my life. It hurt a lot and I was quite cross but I got over it and it hasn't happened again. Thankfully.

I have had stuff nicked and damaged lots over the years (especially motor vehicles), I have drunken people p*****g & throwing up in my shop doorway on a saturday night, and see grafitti attacks and mindless vandalism in our town which makes it less pleasant to live & work in and damages my business if it puts visitors off coming.

Which crimes do you think have had the biggest impact over the years ?

Oddly, the ones you would probably class as minor and not worthy of police time.

But like I said, maybe things are different in different parts of the country, and we are just lucky down here that we can expect the police to get involved in what you see as less serious crimes.

From August's newsletter sent out by Cornwall & Devon Police (Launceston Branch):

RECENT figures, released by Her Majesty‟s Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC), confirms Devon and Cornwall as one of the safest places to live in England and Wales. The figures show a total of 45,123 crimes in 2009/10, compared with 50,433 in 2008/09.

The figures show crime rates for six categories of crime and comparisons with each police force up to the end of March this year.

Devon and Cornwall ranked fifth lowest out of 42 police forces for burglary, sixth lowest for vehicle crime, 10th lowest for knife crime, 11th lowest for gun crime, 18th lowest for violent crime and 25th lowest for serious sexual assault.

The Force‟s crime figures remain consistently low in terms of the number of burglaries and vehicle crimes committed and this is due to a combination of increased crime prevention advice as well as excellent work by our Local Policing Teams.

This is good news for Launceston residents as we have one of the lowest crime levels anyway within Devon and Cornwall and the highest detection rate in Cornwall !!

Only being 25th lowest for sex crimes is a worry though :P

Anyway, I have taken this waaaay off topic now, for which I apologise.

Very glad the original problem is being sorted, and I hope the police will do something.

I do not think we should wait for bricks to be thrown through windows or burning rags put through letter boxes before the police are asked to intervene in harrassment cases.

I'm now looking at it from a different perspective.

Maybe the police are happy to look into this petty crime.

It sure beats wandering the streets looking for hardened criminals that may fight back.

PS..If I'd have paid money to a charm school, then I'd probably be more charming. :P

Depends on your perspective I suppose, I don't class hacking into private accounts as petty, I do class unconstructive, negative, posting for the sake of it petty - but hey, if thats how you get your giggles, who am I to criticise?

@ jacaru.. - thanks for highlighting it - glad you're getting it sorted. In the light of the GetSat issue I think I'm going to ensure that all my Groundspeak passwords are strong & unrelated to any others that I use...

Chalky

PS..If I'd have paid money to a charm school, then I'd probably be more charming. :P

I believe you did but they were open under the slogan "increase your charm or you money back"

they failed

....of uk cachers

Not that anybody is probably interested, but the ukcachers web site was hacked into mid morning and all the files wiped (except one that they left, which has 'interesting' data in it). We are currently obtaining the ISP's access logs.

Sorry to hear that. Explains why I couldn't get on the site.

Please keep us informed of when it's online again.

....of uk cachers

Not that anybody is probably interested, but the ukcachers web site was hacked into mid morning and all the files wiped (except one that they left, which has 'interesting' data in it). We are currently obtaining the ISP's access logs.

Sorry to hear that. Explains why I couldn't get on the site.

Please keep us informed of when it's online again.

After studying the means of attack, it has been decided to close the ukCachers site for the time being. It is unlikely to reappear in the near future (if at all).

I hope the perpetrator(s) of the attack is/are satisfied.

Just one final word on this topic from me. I would just like to say a big thankyou for all the support, both on the forum and by PM's and emails from everyone. It is good to know that geocaching is safe in the hands of a lot of good people out there.

now only for this thread to be closed so the basement dweller doesn't get any more attention.

glad you got things sorted tho :rolleyes:

....of uk cachers

I'm not sure what relevance this has to the OP's post - unless there's something we're not being told that connects the two??

....of uk cachers

I'm not sure what relevance this has to the OP's post - unless there's something we're not being told that connects the two??

I think the implication was that if you've used the same password for ukcachers as you have on other sites, then whoever got into ukcachers may have got your password and can then use it on those other sites.

So you might want to change your passwords on those other sites now!

BTW Jacaru, glad it's all sorted for you now :rolleyes: .

I hope you get it sorted soon Jacaru. Hopefully Groundspeak will be able to block the culprits ISP once it is confirmed who they are?

PS..If I'd have paid money to a charm school, then I'd probably be more charming. :)

As per usual antagonising for the sake of antagonising!!

....of uk cachers

That's a coincidence! <_<

I'm glad I had the fore thought to use a completely different password for that site, purely due to this sort of possibility from happening. :P

In the OPs original quote Jacaru said that this was an attack on his (or her) sexuality.

Homophobia is a hate crime - and can in no way be described as petty.

As a gay woman I too have had attacks on my sexuality via an online source - and I can tell you that the insidious, invisiblel nature of it is not petty. I'm glad that Jacaru is being taken seriously by the Police and sorry that you think that this sort of crime is so petty.