recreating missing TBs?

brad.32

I did a search for recreating TBs in the forums before posting this, but it didn't come up with anything...

I own 5 TBs, one of which is actively traveling (http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=27463), two are being held "prisoner", and two are MIA.

Has anyone recreated travel bugs? I'm thinking of getting a replacement hitchhiker (same object or similar), making up a new tag with the TB number on it, and asking the last person who placed the original TB to receive the new TB in the mail and place it again. Either that or the graveyard.

I won't send the COPY tag because I write the bug's name on the tag for my reference. I always send an instruction tag with the TBs, so the official tag is redundant anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by brad.32:

I did a search for recreating TBs in the forums before posting this, but it didn't come up with anything...

I own 5 TBs, one of which is actively traveling (http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=27463), two are being held "prisoner", and two are MIA.

Has anyone recreated travel bugs? I'm thinking of getting a replacement hitchhiker (same object or similar), making up a new tag with the TB number on it, and asking the last person who placed the original TB to receive the new TB in the mail and place it again. Either that or the graveyard.

I won't send the COPY tag because I write the bug's name on the tag for my reference. I always send an instruction tag with the TBs, so the official tag is redundant anyway.

I've already done that with Take me out to the ball game! It was originally a baseball card that got killed when a cache was wiped out. I put it in the graveyard and then found a baseball in another cache that I felt would make a perfect replacement travel bug. I wrote the original number on the baseball in permanent ink and sent it on its way. Unfortunately, it appears to MIA right now too. icon_frown.gif

If you're sure the bug isn't going to return, I say go for it. The problem with sending out the replacement is if the original shows up after the fact, then you have two bugs out there with the same number on it which could cause problems since someone will log it and it will show somewhere, but be somewhere else at the same time. But that's a bridge you could cross later if that actually happens.

Good luck to you.

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

sigavatar.gif