National Cycle Network

Having just set a new cache based on the National Cycle Network (it's for bicycles, but makes for great walking too), I was amazed that there's no series based on this theme. Forget Motorway Mayhem and the likes, it seems pretty obvious that a set of cache trails based on this great concept is a classic series waiting to be placed.

I've prefixed mine "NCN NR6" (National Cycle Network National Route 6) so that it shows up on a "NCN NR" keyword search.

If anyone likes the idea, go ahead and place one of your own. I suggest that it's no more than 100 metres off one of the NCN routes, preferably closer, with easy access direct from the trail. Apart from that, and a mention of the NCN (lifted from the Sustrans website), I don't think there needs to be any special rules.

Anyone offer support or criticism?

We've done quite a few caches on the Camel Trail (Bodmin-Wadebridge) and the Granite Trail (Dartmoor) - don't know if they are part of the NCN.

Only problem we found in the Summer was having to walk in single file with handlebars whizzing past your wrist every 20 seconds. Nearly lost my wrist watch more than once!

The trails seem to be more cycle friendly than walker friendly, even though on the ones we have walked, pedestrians are supposed to have right of way.

Cyclists don't seem to see it that way and treat the tracks like a velodrome.

Good walks in the out of season months though when things are quieter - for those days when you fancy a nice level walk on a good hard surface.

Why not a NCN series as well as a motorway series. Good idea.

How come Route 6 also comes through Lancaster & Kendal if it's going to York?! Think your cache description might need a slight amendment! :)

The only problem with cycle caches is how to stop them being drive-bys IMHO. Obviously setting it like yours on an off-road section works great for peds or cyclists, but there's a lot of National Cycle Route that's just road with a few signs added.

Generally, cycle caching is great fun so I don't have a problem with a series. Maybe not limit it to the NCN though as there are lots of other tracks/bridleways around. Maybe call it Cycle Crazies, or at least something with cycle in?

:)

I like British Waterways Towpath cycle Code of Conduct...

Code of Conduct for Cyclists

* Ring with Two Tings

Use a bell, giving Two Tings when approaching pedestrians. Ringing with Two Tings is not an order to pedestrians to get out of your way.

Be aware that some pedestrians may have visual or hearing impairments and might not hear your Two Tings.

* Pass people slowly. Give people space

Slow down when approaching pedestrians and only pass when it is safe to do so. Extra care should be taken when passing children, less able people and animals.

I like British Waterways Towpath cycle Code of Conduct...

Code of Conduct for Cyclists

* Ring with Two Tings

Use a bell, giving Two Tings when approaching pedestrians. Ringing with Two Tings is not an order to pedestrians to get out of your way.

Be aware that some pedestrians may have visual or hearing impairments and might not hear your Two Tings.

* Pass people slowly. Give people space

Slow down when approaching pedestrians and only pass when it is safe to do so. Extra care should be taken when passing children, less able people and animals.

Hmmm, that would be ideal.

The Camel Trail on a Summer Day is more like the Daytona speedway circuit. Didn't get ting'd once and had bikes going past us in both directions at the same time, leaving little room for two walkers and a dog.

Seriously, one brake lever did catch my wrist when a bike came up from behind so fast I didn't even hear the wheels on the gravel before it hit. The cyclist was away so fast they probably didn't hear me swearing at them.

But maybe that's just Cornwall - lots of holiday makers on rented bikes who haven't read your excellent code of conduct.

Sorry, that's not what this thread is about so I won't hijack it any longer. I've had my rant and feel a whole lot better :)

But I do enjoy cycle trail walks when it's not too busy, so I think the OP has a good idea, make them easy to find on a map.

How come Route 6 also comes through Lancaster & Kendal if it's going to York?! Think your cache description might need a slight amendment! :D

The only problem with cycle caches is how to stop them being drive-bys IMHO. Obviously setting it like yours on an off-road section works great for peds or cyclists, but there's a lot of National Cycle Route that's just road with a few signs added.

Generally, cycle caching is great fun so I don't have a problem with a series. Maybe not limit it to the NCN though as there are lots of other tracks/bridleways around. Maybe call it Cycle Crazies, or at least something with cycle in?

:P

Route 6 is from London to Keswick. The section I mention is also part of the Derby to York cycle route. There are, of course, lots of other tracks suitable for bikes, but my idea was that people might attempt a section of the NCN and it would be nice to be able to easily identify caches along the way. Other tracks would be better with a different name as it would make the routes of the NCN harder to follow otherwise.

As so much is away from busy roads it seems obvious, although I take the point that there are some tarmac sections that might also attract the car-borne.

I slow down when approaching pedestrians, and I also give a couple of tings - I want them to know I'm there, so that they don't suddenly jump left just as I'm passing them on the left. Or right. Which has happened to me, because some pedestrians have their ears full of MP3s and can't hear any warnings.

I'm amazed how many bikers don't have a bell. I think a bell is vital. Ditto lights at night.

One big potential hazard, though, is dogs. I *really* don't want to collide with a dog, but dogs might not know what to do when they see a bike. And some dog walkers don't know that they need to make sure that their dog doesn't suddenly kamikaze under my wheels. I also don't appreciate being followed and circled by a barking dog "who just wants to play". Same problem - I don't want to run over part of a dog.

I don't care if they can be done as drive-bys. I'll still do them on a bike, it's a lot easier, because you don't have to worry about where to park.

I'm a big supporter of this idea.

How about "Cycling Confusions"?

Thanks for the ideas.

The jokey names are fine, but what I wanted was a searchable naming convention; so that if you want to ride part of the National Cycle Network you can easily follow the cache trail. So the name has to have something to separate the caches from other cycle-worthy caches, and has to have a pointer to the particular National Cycle Route in there.

For example, mine has NR6 in the name to signify Route 6. A search on "NCN NR6" will then give you a list of all caches along that route, and "NCN NR" will give you all caches on the National Cycle Network.

I wouldn't want caches along other cycle paths to appear as they would then need filtering out if you just wanted to follow the NCN route. So they should have a different name.

If you can come up with something jokey and memorable that isn't too long-winded and also gives this facility then I'll change mine to suit.

We've done quite a few caches on the Camel Trail (Bodmin-Wadebridge) and the Granite Trail (Dartmoor) - don't know if they are part of the NCN.

Both trails are on the NCN. The Camel Trail is NCN32 with the bit between Bodmin and Wenford Bridge also part of NCN3. The Granite Trail is part of NCN27 - the Devon Coast-to-Coast.

As a cyclist, I think it's a great idea. That said, both those trails are serious muggle-magnets. I've found a few along the Camel Trail, but I'm waiting for Winter (when I stand a chance of some solitude) before going for more.

...That said, both those trails are serious muggle-magnets.

I considered that likelihood with my NCN cache. The cache I hid is a micro, just inside woodland off the trail (sounds terrible, but I hid it in such a way that it's easy for cachers to spot - as confirmed by recent finds - but impossible for muggles). The point being that the trees hide your activities from passing muggles, even though the diversion from the trail is trivial. So I think that easy hides without muggle problems are feasible.

At vast expense, I've just bought a second LiPo battery for my bike (Yes... it's electrically assisted... I'm old and unfit! ). This should extend my 'round-trip' range to about 50 miles which will bring quite a few more 'local' caches within range. :laughing::laughing:

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun rounding up the new "NCN micro" series :mellow::laughing:

Who's going to start the NCN Micro Power Trail? NCN 4 runs from Greenwich to Fishguard over some 400-odd miles, so by my reckoning we should be able to hide almost 4000 film pots along the way :)

Edited by team tisri

Interesting. One of my caches http://coord.info/GC2BN9Z is right on cycle route 66. I wonder how I could incorporate that without putting off people who aren't interested in the cycling part?!

Just change the name. You already mention the cycle route in the description anyway. If you're still worried, you could mention that you don't actually HAVE to cycle to it!

Hmmm... Good luck with the series. But I have my reservations...

I'm known in my neck of the woods as something of a cycling cacher. I wont ignore these caches if they turn up round here but I'll do them with trepidation. As a cyclist there is nothing I hate more than a "shared path" (apart, perhaps, from ninja stealth cyclists who give my kind a bad name). It's a recipe for confusion, acrimony and, at worst, disaster - drsolly hints at the problems caused. A bell can help but can be misconstrued as intentionally alarming / startling (honest :anicute: ).

Anyway. Who needs a shared path when there are tens of thousands of miles of purpose built paths out there to enjoy called roads? After all, I've paid my "road tax". :)

mj

Hmmm... Good luck with the series. But I have my reservations...

I'm not suggesting a new cycle network. The network is already up and running (or wheeling).

The sections I've seen appear to be perfectly OK for cyclists to share with walkers. Surely if you see a group of walkers ahead you simply slow down and take it carefully? There may be popular sections here and there but most of the network seems to be pretty quiet anyway so you won't have to spend too long avoiding people.

If you prefer cycling on the road; fair enough, you do that and ignore the cycle paths and cycling-orientated caches. In my limited cycling experience, sharing with cars and trucks isn't particularly pleasant; but perhaps you're more used to it.

There are lots of car-orientated cache series about that will also suit the road cyclist so no need for a specific series.

I've added the following text to the cache listing (in HTML);

<p><b>What does "NCN NR6" mean? This is a <a href=

"http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/national-cycle-network">National

Cycle Network</a> cache. If you have a cache on or very close to a

National Cycle Network trail, make it searchable by adding the NCN

prefix as on this cache. NCN = National Cycle Network, NR6 =

<a href=

"http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/national-cycle-network/route-numbering-system/route-6">

National Route 6.</a></b><br>If you want to find other NCN caches,

simply search using the keyword "NCN NR"</p>

Edited by Happy Humphrey

I've placed a number of caches along the NCN Route 6 (Derby to Nottingham section) which I've prefixed with "NCN6". I don't think you need to put both NCN and NR in the title - that's just using up more letters! - I think "NCNx" is fairly standard usage within Sustrans.

I've also created a bookmark with all the caches that are on this section of the NCN - both my caches and others. My criteria was quite strict: on or very near (which means within a few metres) of the cycle route.

I think we should try and set up as many bookmarks as possible with caches that are on the NCN all over the country - they need not be our own caches, as you can add anyone's cache to your own bookmark (which you can then make public+shared).

I've placed a number of caches along the NCN Route 6 (Derby to Nottingham section) which I've prefixed with "NCN6". I don't think you need to put both NCN and NR in the title - that's just using up more letters! - I think "NCNx" is fairly standard usage within Sustrans.

Great! But a pity you decided to miss out the "NR" bit.

If you do a keyword search for "NCN" it comes up with nothing. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with the "NR".

"NCN6" gives a list of your caches, but only those; so it limits the search a lot. "NCN NR" gives a list of caches on all the National Cycle Network, and (for example) "NCN NR4" gives just those on National Route 4. So just adding or omitting the route number gives you two levels of searching.

I was aiming to get a nice, flexible keyword selection system - and after all, the length of the name isn't much of an issue.