Caching Etiquette

Racettes

Quick question on Cache Etiquette

Back on 8-3-10 I found a cache in my area that is really in need of replacing

As I was not expecting to find the cache in such shape (hole chewed in side of container) no log, just a golf ball and a handi wipe - I did not have any replacement items with me

I logged it as "Needs Maintenance" which if Im understanding right - sends a email/message to the CO letting them know that there is an issue with the cache (CO has a lot of owned caches)

Two other cacher's have made this find and one person added some paper, a baggie and pencil to the cache but thats all

Is it improper to replace a cache if the "Needs Maintenance" has not been resolved?? I have a container I can put in its place plus a couple other basic items - log book, pencil, but I dont want to be crossing any lines on a cache that isnt mine..

Just wondering

Thanks

Racettes

Often a cache owner will retire from the game and stop responding to emails. In that case a helpful player can keep the piece in play longer by doing such maintenance. It depends on the mindset of the CO. Unless you;re psychic, I usually do what I would hope a fellow playder would do for me if the situation were reversed.

Logs I'll replace. I've only replaced one container. The CO was quite ill, and unable to perform maintenance on a cracked container.

I agree with this one. I've replaced numerous logs but I've only replaced 2 containers. One I broke - well, the lid broke when I opened it and I was FTF on the cache. I replaced the container with a like container with the blessing of the owner. The other cache I replaced was an ammo can that was muggled. The owner had broken both ankles and it was pretty obvious she wasn't going to be able to fix the cache for quite a while. It was equally certain that she would have replaced it if she could do so.

I've found a number of destroyed caches and if I check the user's profile it often shows they haven't logged onto the site in quite a while. I have no problem logging a "needs maintenance" when that happens. If nothing happens in a reasonable amount of time then the thing should be archived.

What's the convention on replacing a log that's full or damaged? There's a nano nearby with a very full and damp disintegrating log. I've logged a Needs Maintenance note. But if I were to replace the log sheet with a new one, do I (postal) mail the old one to the cache owner?

Would appreciate some guidance.

What's the convention on replacing a log that's full or damaged? There's a nano nearby with a very full and damp disintegrating log. I've logged a Needs Maintenance note. But if I were to replace the log sheet with a new one, do I (postal) mail the old one to the cache owner?

Would appreciate some guidance.

for one if they don't take action on a NM log chances are they are not active anymore

second, i doubt it they will give you their address

An early experience I had with this was ~5 years ago when a nearby cache was missing and parts were found at the site. I posted a "Needs Maintenance" log and was slammed from the cache owner as well as another local cacher to replace it myself. (!?!)

I hadn't had much cache experience at the time, but to replace someone else's full size cache seemed odd to me. The owner and I started an e-mail flame war that finally ended when I DID replace the cache - not so much for the cache owner but for my own peace of mind (and for the smiley!)

Looking back (and this is much easier now than it was 5-6 years ago) I should have hit the cache with a "Needs Archived" note and replaced it with my own cache.

Community maintenance is a great thing - to a point. I moved from the Raleigh/Durham area ~5 years ago and have several caches in the area that have been kept up by the community - one was recently archived and I am secretly thankful!

Here's what I did in a similar situation:

Emailed the cache owner saying "If you don't have any objections, I'll bring a new container for your cache."

I never heard from the CO, so--no objections. So I replaced the container, new log, new swag & all.

There is more to maintaining a cache than replacing the container. No owner, no cache.