Confused about Archived Caches

Signman45

Yesterday I found a bunch of caches that I had had in my GPS for some time. I found them, made log entries, and logged them on-line. One of the caches had a geo-coin which I will move on. Apparently all the caches in the series had been archived.

Today I get emails telling me that the log entries were deleted and that I don't get credit for the finds? What is going on? Why leave caches in the field to be found and then not get credit for finding them. The last entry in one of the caches, posted by the owner, read as follows:

October 6, 2009 by JustinandJanel (799 found)

While many of the cachers in the DFW/Keller area attracted us into this once great sport; newcomers have driven us away. It was a blast while the fun lasted but now our stomachs turn at the thought of caching. Perhaps in the next few years, our memories of our first year will out weigh the growing disdain we now have and we will return to this great game. Best wishes to our friends in the Keller area. Keep the game as we once knew it to be. J&J

I am confused!

That's a fairly interesting question. It seems that you have stumbled across a cache that was archived by an owner who wishes to withdraw from the game, but who may not have actually retrieved his/her caches from the field. Archiving caches without making arrangements to clean up the container is generally frowned upon.

There are situations where Groundspeak will reinstate the logs for people who have made legitimate finds. If you found the container and signed the physical log, this might be one of the situations where they would be willing to intervene. But I can't say for sure - you may consider emailing appeals@geocaching.com to see if they can help you figure it out.

Had another thought. That's two in one day. I'm on a roll. Get yourself some new logs. Then go out and replace all the logs in those caches they abandoned. When you get home sit down and start submitting your new hides. :)

Unless of course they submitted them on the other sites. Of course the other sites ask you move the caches to a slightly different location.

But I really do like the idea of taking out new logs and submitting listings for your new caches. Only problem I see is that the previous owners will finally clean up the geolitter they left. I suspect they were left just so they would have the pleasure of deleting logs and sending the nice letters.

Or you could clean up the geolitter and submit a new found it log stating your cleaning up the left overs. Wonder if the former owners would go out and place new containers.

Edited by jholly

Had another thought. That's two in one day. I'm on a roll. Get yourself some new logs. Then go out and replace all the logs in those caches they abandoned. When you get home sit down and start submitting your new hides. :)

Unless of course they submitted them on the other sites. Of course the other sites ask you move the caches to a slightly different location.

But I really do like the idea of taking out new logs and submitting listings for your new caches. Only problem I see is that the previous owners will finally clean up the geolitter they left. I suspect they were left just so they would have the pleasure of deleting logs and sending the nice letters.

Or you could clean up the geolitter and submit a new found it log stating your cleaning up the left overs. Wonder if the former owners would go out and place new containers.

Um, yes. Please don't take my tongue in cheeck idea seriously. It's a game. Not worth pushing for a confrontation over trivialities.

I will, though, stand by my original reply.

Here's the article on Log Deletion.

That the caches have been archived is an interesting twist. Odd that the cache owner's apparently are still paying enough attention to delete logs, but not enough to remove containers. The caches may be listed on an alternate site, of course.

Please, do not email to appeals@geocaching.com about this; that email is to be used for cache publication, thanks.

Messy Situation?

We know that sometimes this issue can be contentious. If the other party is being stubborn, ask yourself, "Is this dispute really worth my time?" Try being the bigger person and conceding the point. You may discover that you feel better for doing so. At the very least, it will put the matter quickly behind you.

Hmm... I definitely would appeal to contact@geocaching.com You signed the log, you deserve the smiley! If CO doesn't want anyone to sign the log, s/he should remove the cache and the log!

You could always post a note to the cache page back dated so that it does not show up in the last 5 logs. Say something about how you are dissappointed that the caches are gone and you enjoyed finding them. If the CO doesn't delete the log then you can go back and change it to a find and the CO might not pick up on it.

You could always post a note to the cache page back dated so that it does not show up in the last 5 logs. Say something about how you are dissappointed that the caches are gone and you enjoyed finding them. If the CO doesn't delete the log then you can go back and change it to a find and the CO might not pick up on it.

That is an excellent idea. Very sneaky. And it will probably work.

Wouldn't want to do a business deal with you mind :):)

A few years ago a new cache was published nearby - it was at the top of a mountain and required a decent hike. It went unfound for a week; I checked the cache page one past time, then climbed the mountain, made the find, and signed the pristine log-sheet.

In the 5 or 6 hours it took me to climb, find, and descend the cache was archived - retracted, really - as if it never existed. I heard later that it had been published in error, and was too close to a step in a multi. I never did get my "find", but it was a great hike with great views, so still well worth it.

Please, do not email to appeals@geocaching.com about this; that email is to be used for cache publication, thanks.

Yes, this is correct... Mea culpa.

I pulled the original address from a post by a moderator in March, but didn't notice at the time that it was corrected to contact@geocaching.com by a different moderator in the following post. Thanks for the correction.

Wow! to leave litter out since Oct 2009 (and then take the time out to delete the log) offends me to the core. the CO speaks of a game they once love and are contributing to (their perceived) demise by leaving litter out. Definitely, contact Geocaching.com to get the log reinstated and perhaps see if a Reviewer can kindly ask for the litter to be removed. Ugh, gross!

Gotta say that my impulse would be to go out and claim some free cache containers. If they are archived amd the CO hasn't bothered to pick them up, and even seems to have withdrawn from the hobby completely, at that point I figure they are litter and subject to a CITO run :P

despite my flippant remark earlier you need to be careful with such a plan. It is possible that the CO has listed them elsewhere. Geocaching.com is not the only site out there listing geocaches.

Gotta say that my impulse would be to go out and claim some free cache containers. If they are archived amd the CO hasn't bothered to pick them up, and even seems to have withdrawn from the hobby completely, at that point I figure they are litter and subject to a CITO run :P

despite my flippant remark earlier you need to be careful with such a plan. It is possible that the CO has listed them elsewhere. Geocaching.com is not the only site out there listing geocaches.

You could always check for geocache, and the coordinates. If it is a clean search hey go for it. I doubt they have them listed else where as they say they have with drawn from the game.

Thanks all for the responses. My sister and I are trying to stay ahead of each other in our cache finds. I admit that I really needed to clean out the old data in my GPS. Since these caches were close together and close to home, I decided to hit them quick and get that lead on my sister.

I don't know if I wil pursue any of your suggestions, except the ones to clean out the GPS and write it off to experience. Although, I might followup with the org. It irks me when people act like jerks!!

Oh, well! Time to load up with new caches and head out!

Thanks again!

Does this mean I have to comb my cache pages for old Slukster logs?

Thanks all for the responses. My sister and I are trying to stay ahead of each other in our cache finds. I admit that I really needed to clean out the old data in my GPS. Since these caches were close together and close to home, I decided to hit them quick and get that lead on my sister.

I don't know if I wil pursue any of your suggestions, except the ones to clean out the GPS and write it off to experience. Although, I might followup with the org. It irks me when people act like jerks!!

Thanks again!

Definitely give the Slukster method a try. It may work. If not then go to Groundspeak to see if you can have your log reinstated.

The CO looks like they haven't quit completely yet. They still have some active caches and have been archiving caches that get a long string of DNFs. But they still need to go pick up the caches they archive.

Wednesday, 16 January 2008

Tuesday, 07 September 2010

Edited by clumzyfly

You signed the log, you get to log the cache online.

I would complain loudly to contact@Groundspeak.com and ask them to reinstate my log.

If the CO doesn't want people logging his caches, he needs to go pick them up. He should do it anyway after he's archived them, so they don't become geo-litter.

Thanks again!

This is the "sister"...I will have more caches found then Signman45...I'm younger...I might have more years! :rolleyes:

Does this mean I have to comb my cache pages for old Slukster logs?

:rolleyes: Unfortunately I have only had the opportunity to find 5 of your caches and I have Polskikrol and ThirstyMick to confirm the finds. :rolleyes:

I have only used the method I suggested once. I was having a not so friendly disagreement with a local cacher and after I deleted his log for not having signed the cache log, he deleted one of my finds that I legitimately found and signed the log. Instead of getting into a log/ delete/ log/ delete back and forth, I noticed that I had logged a travel bug as a note after having logged a smiley. I switched it to a find and I was back in business. No problems with the local cacher anymore.